SAU Community

R34 Problem

Hanaldo

Hey,

Me and my mates just got back from Albany, and we noticed when we got closer to home that the car vibrates alot and makes a strange noise when driving at about 80kms, but it doesnt do it at any other speeds. One of my mates thinks it might be the diff, as its the only mechanical thing back there, i just wanted to get some opinions, see if anyone might have an idea of what it is.

Cheers for any help

if it vibrates through the steering wheel it could be the front wheel weights other wise the rears wheels doesn't matter if its balanced properly, cause you wont feel it a little or at all.

It comes from the back, forgot to mention it. You can even see a fair bit of vibration in the back end. But yeh, it only happens at 80 kms, you speed up and it goes away. I know the wheels do need a balance and alignment, but this vibration has only started recently. It makes a sound like you are driving on those strips on the road that are meant to wake you up, but there none of those anywhere on the road

It comes from the back, forgot to mention it. You can even see a fair bit of vibration in the back end. But yeh, it only happens at 80 kms, you speed up and it goes away. I know the wheels do need a balance and alignment, but this vibration has only started recently. It makes a sound like you are driving on those strips on the road that are meant to wake you up, but there none of those anywhere on the road

Could be something to do with brakes / suspension.. One of my mates did some suspension mods to his car and the vibration exactly as you described it happens to his car when he takes off and after a set speed the vibration stopped. So maybe get the suspension checked out.

Mmmmm ok, so i got my car back from Pedders Suspension just then after getting my wheels aligned, and i got the to do a 28 point suspension check... News isnt good.

There is excessive movement in my tie rod ends, and the steering gear rack has an internal knock. Pedders can fix those, although they didnt give me a quote because my car is imported.

Now the bad news. My rear frame bush is torn, and Pedders cant get parts to fix it. They offered to try to make something up, but they said its risky because they would have to take the whole bush out to duplicate it, and if they take it out they cant get it back in, so if they cant duplicate it then its phucked... I asked the guy, and he said this could definitely cause the vibration that ive been noticing.

Sooooo, does anyone know where i can get all this done, and how much it will cost me???

News pretty much ruined my day, so if anyone can help that would be awesome,

cheers

Thought it might be susspension...

Which Pedders did you take it to cause i go to cannington and have never had an issue... also helps i get good prices :D

Worse come to worse Nissan will be able to order the bush for you if you can tell them which one, you will just have to wait for it to come in from Japan.

Just dont drive on it and make it worse as it will start to eat into your tyres and end up costing a lot more in the long run.

Hey mate, dont go to pedo's, they will just rip you off, give myself (Matt) or Brad a call at WA Suspensions and we should be able to sort it out for you, and cheaper then pedders. 94440500

ive had no problem with peddars in cannington... both with service and prices. Ive used them alot with my WB one tonne ute. And they do my wheel alignments for my skyline.

However, WA Suspension probably has had alot more experience with skylines... so they may be able to help you better than peddars.

Well i spoke to Brad and im taking it into WA Suspensions on Friday morning. Hope its not too expensive =[

I would prfer to go to WA Suspensions to get my car done, but i live ages away from Osbourne Park; which is why i went to Peddars, as they are closer, didnt seem worth driving all the way to Osbourne Park just for a wheel alignment. But this is a little more serious so im definitely taking it there. Are bushes generally an expensive thing to replace?

I will recommend doing all the crossmember bushes while your at it dont just replace the stuffed one the others will be on their way out... Also Brad should be able to confirm this, some of the bushes are oil filled for better ride quality while the susspension is stiffer, it was a Nissan thing, if you dont replace all the bushes make sure they match.

Matt,

you cant bad mouth another company like that either... it is fine if you personally have had the bad experience with them but you cant say they are bad and come see me... FYI cannington pedders is privately owned by one of my mates it is not a corporate store front.

I will recommend doing all the crossmember bushes while your at it dont just replace the stuffed one the others will be on their way out... Also Brad should be able to confirm this, some of the bushes are oil filled for better ride quality while the susspension is stiffer, it was a Nissan thing, if you dont replace all the bushes make sure they match.

Matt,

you cant bad mouth another company like that either... it is fine if you personally have had the bad experience with them but you cant say they are bad and come see me... FYI cannington pedders is privately owned by one of my mates it is not a corporate store front.

This is correct. However having looked at this car the rear bushes are not that bad and do not really require replacing. Maybe one day but its not a desperate thing to do now. They do not appear to be leaking, they do have a few cracks starting in them but it could stay like that for a year or 2 yet. We will put in some pineapple ring bushes to minimise the crossmember movement to try and keep prolong their life for the moment. Martin can save up some money and do the mount bushes later.

I dont feel Matt bad mouth them exactly. Having seen a lot of quotes from pedders (including the one from this car) it would appear that their ability to diagnose is not that good at times. As for prices, im not going to get in to a war on words on that. Each company in every industry has their own policies on that.

Pedders Cannington is a franchise, therefore while they have to follow Pedders rules, they can get away with also doing things a little bit differently when they need to as far as using products other than the 'Pedders' brand ect. The owners of that shop have been there for many years to my understanding and do have a decent grasp on how to do things and that is gained by many years experince.

This is correct. However having looked at this car the rear bushes are not that bad and do not really require replacing. Maybe one day but its not a desperate thing to do now. They do not appear to be leaking, they do have a few cracks starting in them but it could stay like that for a year or 2 yet. We will put in some pineapple ring bushes to minimise the crossmember movement to try and keep prolong their life for the moment. Martin can save up some money and do the mount bushes later.

I dont feel Matt bad mouth them exactly. Having seen a lot of quotes from pedders (including the one from this car) it would appear that their ability to diagnose is not that good at times. As for prices, im not going to get in to a war on words on that. Each company in every industry has their own policies on that.

Pedders Cannington is a franchise, therefore while they have to follow Pedders rules, they can get away with also doing things a little bit differently when they need to as far as using products other than the 'Pedders' brand ect. The owners of that shop have been there for many years to my understanding and do have a decent grasp on how to do things and that is gained by many years experince.

Yeh thanks a lot for this Brad. I personally dont hold anything against Peddars, i know my mate takes his Toyota Paseo there and they do a really good job on it, which is why i took mine there. I just think that perhaps they havent had a lot of experience with imported cars, so from now on ill probably take mine to WA Suspension.

By the way Brad, is it possible to get my wheels balanced while youre working on it, or do i have to take it somewhere else? There is a place near me that will do it for 10 bucks, but if you are able to do it then it might as well just all get done

Yeh thanks a lot for this Brad. I personally dont hold anything against Peddars, i know my mate takes his Toyota Paseo there and they do a really good job on it, which is why i took mine there. I just think that perhaps they havent had a lot of experience with imported cars, so from now on ill probably take mine to WA Suspension.

By the way Brad, is it possible to get my wheels balanced while youre working on it, or do i have to take it somewhere else? There is a place near me that will do it for 10 bucks, but if you are able to do it then it might as well just all get done

1 step ahead of you. Already planned on balancing the wheels. :)