SAU Community

Round #5 Cams Nsw Supersprint Wakefield Park

I took the R35 out for a blat in round #5 of the NSW sprints on Sunday.

Last time out i ran a 1:05.3; changes to the car since are:

1. Upper control arm modification (offset bushes) to yield an extra 1* of neg camber

2. Addition of Willall midpipe

3. Changed from 295 RE55's to a new combination (18/265/35 fronts, 18/285/30 rears)

4. Carbotech XP12 pads on the front

Unfortunately i had a problem with the tyre combo. The rolling diameter must be out too much (front to back) because when you reach a certain speed the traction control cuts in (and power is lost). So this combination is no good for the track. I had nil issues with the bigger 295's all round. Also, i think the lower 30 series profile just doesnt work as well as the 35's - the 295's were definitely quicker. I had to drive the car harder to even come close to my pb of 1:05.3, anyway lesson learnt! don't try the 265/285 RE55 setup guys.

The Willall y-pipe makes the car sound less like a domestic dust sucking device, you can actually hear the thing now! And apparently it adds about 14rwkw, nice. Thanks Martin.

With the additional camber, the car turns into corners like a hot knife through butter, initially too sharp i thought (believe it or not) but i soon adapted. I can't wait to get a proper set of tyres back on, it's going to be a killer setup.

The Carbotech XP12 front pads held up well. These probably arent as good as some but at $320US for a front set, worth trying for those going through the pads. I might try something else next. I've been told the Evo 9 front pads are exactly the same as the R35 rears, so we might try that soon. Very cost effective potentially.

Anyway i managed to go backwards 0.2 of a second for a 1:05.5, 3rd outright on the day. I reckon with the 295's it will easily run a 1:04.x - maybe next time. I really think the tyres let me down.

Here's a little video of my quickest lap of the day:

If anyone if interested in where i get tyres, pads or the control arm bush modification, send me a PM.

Cheers

ps- how do you "embed" youtube videos? just use the "video" tag? didnt seem to work.

Edited by LSX-438

Unfortunately i had a problem with the tyre combo. The rolling diameter must be out too much (front to back) because when you reach a certain speed the traction control cuts in (and power is lost). So this combination is no good for the track. I had nil issues with the bigger 295's all round. Also, i think the lower 30 series profile just doesnt work as well as the 35's - the 295's were definitely quicker. I had to drive the car harder to even come close to my pb of 1:05.3, anyway lesson learnt! don't try the 265/285 RE55 setup guys.

These cars are very 'balance' sensitive in the chassis. Its very easy to throw them off their game and have small changes result in lap times heading the wrong way. This is one reason we stick with the Dunlops when we test as it gives the chassis total symmetry in its behaviour. I know that all sounds very Zen, but it is indeed easy to make the car 'faster' to go 'slower'....will take your advice on the setup!

The Willall y-pipe makes the car sound less like a domestic dust sucking device, you can actually hear the thing now! And apparently it adds about 14rwkw, nice. Thanks Martin.

My pleasure, great to see you happy with it mate!

Very soon I will have something that will extend the life of your factory front rotors and stop them cracking on the track :D