SAU Community

Bonnet Issus, Are They Legal?

Obelisk

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for an aftermarket bonnet for black R34 atm, just wanna make sure, is that legal with a Z-tune CF bonnet on road? Or any other bonnet with vent on them? What abt the parts from BLITS caz I heard they are the only one in OZ selling street legal fiberglass part??? And is there any knid of engineers certificate I can get to make it pass over a cop without any problem???

Cheers

Edited by Obelisk

Blitz are the only ones who make ADR approved bonnets, but to be honest i think they all look shit. The problem with CF bonnets are they dont bend like metal bonnets, where as cf can break off into small pieces and injure someone (as they say)

I'll be going a z-tune bonnet, but keeping my stock one to swap over incase i get defected. On a black car they usually tend to blend in abit more.

I've got a carbon bonnet on my car, love it but as Luke said, totally defectable. As Luke said the only ADR approved bonnets are from Blitz and they are pretty pricey too. Just buy a good CF one and keep your stocky. Both times I've been defected, nothing was said about my bonnet but that still doesn't mean it's legal :blink:

I've got a cf one on my GTST and went through regency in December last year without a problem. The inspector didn't say anything about it, even when I opened it. I can't remember where I got it from as I've had it for 5 yrs, but I've also kept the original as a precaution.

What abt when u guys was pulled over for alcohol test on weekend nights? Did the cops check them offen? (caz cops are everywhere around city on weekend nights)

If I paint it into black, is it going to make things any better......(I know its a shit idea though :blink: )

Wow, very lucky! Then again if your car is the one in the avatar, being black sometimes it can be overlooked. Black on a white car = no no :blink:

And I don't take my car into town. Put it this way, if they are gonna find something to defect you for, they'll find it. Carbon bonnet or not

carbon bonnets are legal if they have the webbing/bracing underneath as well.

the el-cheapo ones that speed dreamz were selling which was a fibreglass skin with a layer of carbon ontop is not legal. they were also gay, but we arent here to judge.

carbon bonnets are legal if they have the webbing/bracing underneath as well.

nothing aftermarket is ADR approved unless it has engineers certification.....sorry

nothing aftermarket is ADR approved unless it has engineers certification.....sorry

ADR approval has little bearing on defects, unfortunately. my custom made angel eye lights were built from all ADR approved driving lights, and used all the original mounting holes of the stock lights. did regency pass them.. yes and no. one inspector said it was fine seeing ADR approved, another came over and made a fuss about being left/right adjustable. however the stock lights are only up and down adjustable (which my angel eyes are too), and i have never seen lights that can adjust left and right. of course this was a lame excuse coz they didnt want to be wrong.

however with my cf bonnet, and all other cf bits, never had an issue. even tho the bonnet may not be ADR approved, as long as it has some type of fibre glass skeleton structure, and lines up with the original bonnet hinges/release latch, its fine. so avoid bonnet pins. well thats the reply i got when asking a cop. however like stated above, legalities are subjective.

i have also heard of people passing regency with their non ADR approved cf bonnets. so yeah i reckon ur pretty safe. ur if gona get done, it will be for something else.

oh one other thing with vents. rearward facing is fine, forward facing is straight defect, unless its a factory bonnet like on WRX's.

Edited by steveP

no Obelisk you can't fit a GTR bonnet without a GTR front bar. The lip I have for sale sticks to the GTT bonnet - if you buy a GTR bonnet, there literally will be a gap between your GTR bonnet, and the GTT front bar.

SteveP, in your 1st paragraph you're only confirming what I said....that if the item is at the very least not ADR approved (which would have an engineers certified serial No if it was) then it is in fact a defectable item.

The fact that some Regency twat missed your CF bonnet has nothing to do with it not being defectable and everything to do with his incompetence, LOL.

no its not confirming it, basically (talking about my ADR approved headlights here, not the cf bonnet), my lights were approved, had a serial number, however they still found some excuse to disallow them. this isnt uncommon either. tonnes of people get sent to regency who have 100% ADR approved mods, and some even engineering certificates.

just pointing out the obvious, that cops/inspectors like to flex their muscle when wrong and think they are above engineering reports.

LOL, I'll go slower, read carefully what I'm saying!

I'm not arguing that an ADR approved item can't be defected (happens all the time).......I'm talking about CF bonnetts (isn't this the topic we're discussing and what the author here is asking?) in as much no ADR certification = DEFECT!!

no Obelisk you can't fit a GTR bonnet without a GTR front bar. The lip I have for sale sticks to the GTT bonnet - if you buy a GTR bonnet, there literally will be a gap between your GTR bonnet, and the GTT front bar.

Hi mate, u mailbox is full so I cant send u any PM now............. Plz do something

ok have cleared out a ton of PMs .... damn my inbox fills up quickly!

Oh, I forgot to add - if you buy an R34GTR bonnet you also need new hinges and bonnet catch too - so is not a straightforward fit.