SAU Community

Black Smoke Coming Out

sxc_skylinee

I hope its nothing serious with the engine, cos i've never had problems with it before. And i usually change the oil every 3months with motul.

is my engine healthy or oil maybe to thin?

hey mate,

I can see your fairly new to SAU, so welcome and enjoy your stay.

It could be one of many things, i would check:

1: Oil viscosity, if its too thin then chances are you engine is burning oil as well as petrol, here's a tip to remember though: Blue smoke = Oil, White smoke = Water, Black smoke = Petrol. So is there a light tinge to the smoke, or is just black black?

2: AFM (Air Flow Meter), on most skylines the AFM goes kaput after 30 - 40,000kms or so, so maybe change your over. If your AFM is broke, or faulty, your cars ECU guess's how much petrol to put in. Too much petrol = smoke.

3: Turbo (this is the worst one), just check to make sure your turbo isn't blown, a blown turbo can throw shit through the engine, and a worn out turbo will produce smoke out through your exhaust. If its the stock turbo and stock boost, you should be fine, as long as your car hasnt done between APPROXIMATELY 150 - 180,000kms.

Thats all i can think of at the moment, if i think of anything else i'll get back to ya.

Buckets out.

Nothing to do with oil (oil burns blue). The black is carbon particles as a result of the petrol not burning properly. The fuel/air mixture is rich, which is the protection that stops the engine pooping itself.