SAU Community

Quick Question Is My Turbo Going To Be To Laggy/shit Spool

hey guys just doing a few mods to my gts4 ive got fmic 3inch exhaust gtr injecters and bosch 040 my stock turbo died so im fu*king it off and putting on a garret hi flow t3 gt3540 front and stock vlt dump will it be to big for my rb20 i paid big dollars for it i though it might hit boost say around 3500rpm-4000 im not sure has anyone has a hi flowed t3? cheers thanks..matt

I mean no offense or anything and am only trying to help when i say this, but with a turbo that big it will be frustrating and useless anywhere except the drag strip. If it reaches max boost above 4000rpm thats only like 2000rpm or so of max boost. You'll be driving a non-turbo on the street cos you'll never be on boost. When it does hit boost it'll be so extreme and wont be a nice drive at all. In stock form the boost comes on nice and smooth and the car is very driveable. That is what you'll lose by putting a big turbo on - the driveability. GT35's are standard on a ford xr6t so that should give you an idea of the size engine they're designed for. The RB25 just doesn't have the low-end torque to spin it up good enough.

EDIT: just realised you have a RB20. There's no way an RB20 has enough torque to power up such a big turbo. It might have cost you a lot but it will cost you more trying to make it work.

Nissan match the stock turbo up exactly with the characteristics of the engine. If you modify it, there will be a compromise in some way. Most people are happy with a GT28 highflow - eg. from GCG. The compromise is its slightly more laggy but the top end is a lot stronger. you can still get plenty of power from a GT28. If you need more power than this, buy a GTR.

Edited by pixel8r

sorry my mistake its not a gt3540 its a 2530 front with vlt rear housing should go ok but ill post to let you know how it goes cheers for the info.

love the big turbs but you need the engine capacity to produce the power its designed for.

i made the mistake of buying a master pro ar70(to4e).i put it in my rb20det and thort it would haull ass.......

but no...didnt get boost till round 4200-4500rpm.and was all over untill i got to 3rd.thats were it started to make power.

id recomend a t3t4 simple top mount upgrade.good for 320-383.1 was the best iv seen and that was on the 1st of aug.

anyway hope this puts some ideas on the table :down:

I had the ol T4 to4e turbo on my old VL back in the day, shit down low, kicked in hard around 60kays, not much fun for daily driving but I always liked the boost kickin in like a slingshot lol!

Edited by kwl33

sweet as the turbo will be on tuesday night atm my mods to go on are fmic 3 inch exhaust gtr injecters, fuel pressure reg, bosch 040,blitz ecu, 2530, all im after now is a z32 afm to top it off and see how it goes. atm with just the fmic and exhuast it has a whole...120atw whoaa watch out its massive power and thats with a stuffed stock turbo from previous owner so it should go heaps better with the new mods but ill post soon as im done cheers for all the help.

good news boys its all on, boost does not come till 3500 and it comes on hard its great. and i have also saved fuel because the turbo is not on the whole time i got 54 kms more outta my tank its crazy... its only on 9psi going to boost it to 14psi soon should be a massive improvement once again. but i have got one prob where the intake pipe to the front of the turbo is the two pipes that come off the intake pipe are no longer on and the one running from the rocket cover i have put a breather pod there to replace it but my car is now hunting for idle and also stalls when going down in gears if im breaking and have it in angle gear it stalls any ideas?? i hope this make sense lol

i done all the work myself on it got everything made up to fit the only thing i could not find is one of those pipe's for the front of the turbo so i pulled the emisson pipes off and just bolt and clamp the others and i have a bit of flat steel inbetween my stock bov so no air pass's through it but yeah... i might have to get one made up unless there is another option? has any one else changed there's over?

Edited by TwinTurboSupra+R32 Gtst