SAU Community

N1 Oil Pump - Epic Fail

Rezlo

RB N1 vs stock SR20,

both outer pump gears are identical in OD,

pump drive on the SR20 is about 3mm smaller than the RB, which means the actual inner pump gear on the SR20 is 3mm more beefy, probably why it doesnt crack...

SR20 has a 2mm narrower gear due to reduced oil volume needed.

And its got nothing to do with power, there are RB N1's failing 150-200wkw earlier than SR20's running stock pumps.

RB N1 vs stock SR20,

both outer pump gears are identical in OD,

pump drive on the SR20 is about 3mm smaller than the RB, which means the actual inner pump gear on the SR20 is 3mm more beefy, probably why it doesnt crack...

SR20 has a 2mm narrower gear due to reduced oil volume needed.

And its got nothing to do with power, there are RB N1's failing 150-200wkw earlier than SR20's running stock pumps.

argh... that sucks about the N1 oil pump. I'm also running one on my GTR, which I think I'll change to a Nitto pump at some point, hopefully soon.

PS: Hi! from a fellow South African :D

If we only had the factory dry sump with this kind of testing...

what a great find - thanks for sharing!

2 q's:

- does the 09 porsche have a dry sump from factory or is this a race spec engine?

- how do they simulate the torque in those gear changes? it sounds like its running through each gear around a track (some type of dyno?)

awesome stuff :down:

2 q's:

- does the 09 porsche have a dry sump from factory or is this a race spec engine?

- how do they simulate the torque in those gear changes? it sounds like its running through each gear around a track (some type of dyno?)

awesome stuff :down:

Factory dry sump as most 911's have been

It is on a moving engine dyno

argh... that sucks about the N1 oil pump. I'm also running one on my GTR, which I think I'll change to a Nitto pump at some point, hopefully soon.

PS: Hi! from a fellow South African ;)

Where from?

My advise, change the pump before it breaks... seems to be more a case of "when" rather than "if".

2 q's:

awesome stuff :D

Yep factory dry sump on all ...

And the dyno loads the engine accordingly to simulate the loads/throttle that would be applied when in that particular gear around the circuit...& the fact that they can couple it to simulate cornering g forces as well is really cool.

Im also in two minds what to do with the N1 pump that is on my engine..not exactly confidence inspiring.

I think it should be renamed the russian roulette pump ;)

so we need someone to machine up some splined collars and gears for the pump :D

I'm actually at my machinist tomorrow picking up something anyway so i'll discuss it with him and get back with a possible outcome.

I was just re-reading some mags last night before i went to bed, and i noticed in the article on the "700 Hp GTS-T" Cola coloured with carbon bonnet in HPI 102 . At the starts it stated he fitted an N1 oil pump. Just at the end of the article, it says, "As we went to press, we learnt ..blah blah blah ... the oil pump broke in two places !"

Thought id share

Makes you wonder if something has changed in there material composition or tolerances or something. Has anyone who has been racing or building with N1's for years seen this years ago, or was there a time they seemed to be ok...

I think Greg said he used to use them until the recent failure ?? Makes you ask whats changed..??

Gary

I was under the impression that the early N1 pumps were fine (I believe mine is an early one), but it was rumoured that a couple of years ago production moved somewhere else and then lots of breakages started to happen?*

*may or may not be true

On the gears changing, I know there are some companies in China who are producing a lot of powdered metal parts, maybe Nissan started sourcing them from there? Whatever the case, I won't use them any more, or if someone wants to use one, it's their problem if it breaks.

I'm getting some info on the gear splining, should have some news in the next week or so about a billet spline drive gear set to fit the standard housing. I've also been cadding up a new front housing that uses an external pump, probably a single stage petersen one but doesn't get in the way of the accessory drives or anything else.

And Shane, what are you up to now.... i thought you sold all your stuff !

I'm selling up but that doesn't mean i have to stop developing parts :)

A bit of conflict of interest here but i'll update this post when greg gets back to me.

On the gears changing, I know there are some companies in China who are producing a lot of powdered metal parts, maybe Nissan started sourcing them from there? Whatever the case, I won't use them any more, or if someone wants to use one, it's their problem if it breaks.

I'm getting some info on the gear splining, should have some news in the next week or so about a billet spline drive gear set to fit the standard housing. I've also been cadding up a new front housing that uses an external pump, probably a single stage petersen one but doesn't get in the way of the accessory drives or anything else.

i like that, sounds promising. i'm happy with wet sump so long as the dam oil pump wont break!!! billet splined would be well worth any cost...