SAU Community

Lookine For An Electrician Apprenticeship

adoboy666

Hey guys

I'm 19yrs old an trying to find an electrician apprenticeship on the gold coast.

If anyone knows someone or a company that needs an apprentice electrician i would be greatful to hear about it. Ive tried all the employment agencies but have had no luck and very rarely does one appear in the job section in the paper

thought i would give this a go on the forum biggrin.gif

thanks

hey mate, im in the electrical trade (currently 3/4 way through 2nd year, was on stand-down for a week at one stage when times were tough, but seems to have picked up again). Good luck getting an apprenticeship the line is back out the door around the block down the street into the next suburb next state etc. you'll have to know someone or pull some serious string to get in. my bos gets probably 10+ calls a week for a new apprentice. if i hear of anything I'll be certain to post up.

Tried Stowe? They're doing all the electrical work on the hilton job for us at the coast I think they're working on Soul for Grocon aswell. They've got plenty of work on so they might be looking for apprentices. Worth a try.

if i was you i would be doing up personal cover letters for each and every electrical business you can think of.

Emailing them, taking it in to them, calling them up

trying all trades qld, other agencies

trying energex (i think their applications have just closed)

thiess have an app program also i think

Talking to mates

Do anything and everything you can

Its one of the most popular trades therefore one of the hardest to get into. I tried for a year but couldnt find anywhere because i was mature age. no one wanted to pay me.

I even have a father that works for ergon and a few contacts in the industry, a restricted electrical license and a uni degree (unrelated) and couldnt get in. (this was 2 years ago now)

Not saying its impossible, just really get stuck into it if you are keen on it. you need to stand out above the rest. good luck with it

I'm fourth year apprentice sparky and do know of a whole bunch of companies laying apprentices off atm. Unfortunatly we're the first to go when it comes to cost cutting.

Keep your head up mate, a friend of mine had to wait a year before getting a start and that was even with his old man's contacts as one of the head engineers of John Holland.

But, to point you in the right direction, have a look at McDonalds Industrial Services (not affiliated with the red headed clown with the greasy burgers) or Downer EDI, big companies like that are always on the prowl for good apprentices, but it is industrial work.

But you may be looking at heading to Brissy to get an apprenticeship, if you're serious about doing it, relocating should be of no worry (you get living allowances from the government, travel allowances through your boss etc...) I know a few guys that moved down here from toowoomba to do it and get along great, still find the cash to go out on the piss etc...

Apply at Energex mate. I'm 4th year Electrical fitter mechanic and it's probably the best thing I have ever done.

They pay you ridiculous amounts of money if you have to travel to tafe/training and have awesome penalty rates.

If you want to know more shoot me a pm.

Cheers

It's flat out hard at the moment, especially if your mature age (25) like me, I have 5 subjects at TAFE to complete then about 12 months on the tools but because i have another trade already behind me plus a mortgage such its hard to go back to sub $20 an hour. I could go back to my last trade (aircraft maintenance engineering) however with the airlines bleeding dry a bit at the moments it's even hard to get back into that. During the boom i had work everywhere, at the moment i'm flat out during commercial security and CCTV but i really want to get my sparky ticket...hopefully the construction industry goes mental again soon. Best of luck.

Edited by old_mate