SAU Community

Noise Coming From Gearbox Sometimes

sturb25

Ive got this noise coming from my gearbox and it only happens some of the time. probably once a week and i drive my car everyday. Its like a high pitched deep growl and it goes away instantly when i put my foot on the clutch, sometimes it returns but most of the time it just disapears as soon as i put my foot on the clutch. Any suggestions on what it could be?

Hey mate, your throwout bearing has become dry, or seized all together, this results in a high pitched squeal when releasing the clutch pedal out. Most commonly on early starts but can occur at any time.

Unfortunately there is no easy fix, its a box out job, and you mosewell replace your clutch while your at it (kinda pointless spending $400 in labour to replace a $25 part)

I have driven a car like that for a few months with intermittent throwout noise, although I don't recommend it, you can keep driving the car if funds are tight!

And when the time comes, shoot me a PM, I can hook you up with a Exedy clutch kit cheaper than any sponsor here on SAU!

:rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

i've got something similar i think.. its a slight whine when i have the clutch in on cold starts! dissapears when i put it into neutral and release the clutch :)

it doesnt really annoy me too much tho!

• 4 months later...
Whoops quoted post ended up here?

Hey mate,

Hope you read this, i'm in need of a clutch kit for a 2001 c34 stagea.. except my post count isn't high enough to pm you, can you contact me with contact details?

Thanks

Edited by Blackinc

If the noise disappears when you depress the clutch it means that the problem is in the box.

When it is neutral the input shaft is turning that is why the noise is from the box. Depress the clutch, no noise.