SAU Community

Problems With Abs Or Vdc Activating?

johnr

I am still having problems with the front left wheel brake activating when cornering hard around right corners. As I mentioned before, it started after a wheel alignment but the front suspension was only checked and didn't need adjusting; only the rear was adjusted.

The VDC light flashes when the brake activates. The wheel doesn't skid during this but the brake comes on lightly from 1 to 3 times during the event. I has me stuffed as I thought the VDC only operates on the driving wheels; that's what makes me think it is a problem with the abs and why would it be affected if the front suspension was not touched!

Nissan service can't help as they have nothing to check VDC as the 350z doesn't have it so they say.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Not sure what the dealership is talking about, 350Z track-specs came with VDC standard, If it thinks you are understeering, the system will actuate brakes on the front outside wheel in an attempt to regain front-end grip.

Not sure what the dealership is talking about, 350Z track-specs came with VDC standard, If it thinks you are understeering, the system will actuate brakes on the front outside wheel in an attempt to regain front-end grip.

Thanks for that and will follow it up with the dealer as it seems that the dealers should have software to reset the VDC

I am still having problems with the front left wheel brake activating when cornering hard around right corners.

Sounds right, if the system thinks that you're understeering. It'll try and brake the inside front to pull you back into the corner.

I has me stuffed as I thought the VDC only operates on the driving wheels

The Traction Control System only works on the driven wheels.

The Vehicle Dynamic Control system works on all four brake calipers.

that's what makes me think it is a problem with the abs and why would it be affected if the front suspension was not touched!

ABS can only release brake pedal pressure. If your foot is not on the brake, the ABS could do anything it wants and nothing would happen at the caliper.

The TCS cuts power by closing the electronic throttle. The VDC can compress any of the 4 calipers independently, and does not require brake pedal inputs.

When you're "cornering hard and the inside front caliper grabs the rotor", are you on the brake? If not, its not a pure ABS issue.

Bear in mind that the TCS asnd VDC both rely on the ABS wheel sensors to tell their processors how fast each wheel is spinning. The VDC unit, aside from the ABS sensors, also has a yaw sensor to tell the processor how fast the body itself is turning.

If any sensor is sending erroneous data, it'll take erroneous actions.

If you drive in a straight line and just jump on the brakes, what happens? Does the ABS perform normally, or does your left side front caliper trigger ABS faster than the other wheels? If the car behaves normally when you're going straight, then I'd be more concerned about a yaw sensor or VDC processor issue.

Nissan service can't help as they have nothing to check VDC as the 350z doesn't have it so they say.

Take your car to a Nissan dealership that's populated with less retarded service technicians. If you're in an especially bad mood call up head office to complain about their gross lack of product knowledge.

The 350Z Track has always come with VDC. I've still got my brochure from back in 03, if you want to make a photocopy to shove up their arses.

Sounds right, if the system thinks that you're understeering. It'll try and brake the inside front to pull you back into the corner.

The Traction Control System only works on the driven wheels.

The Vehicle Dynamic Control system works on all four brake calipers.

ABS can only release brake pedal pressure. If your foot is not on the brake, the ABS could do anything it wants and nothing would happen at the caliper.

The TCS cuts power by closing the electronic throttle. The VDC can compress any of the 4 calipers independently, and does not require brake pedal inputs.

When you're "cornering hard and the inside front caliper grabs the rotor", are you on the brake? If not, its not a pure ABS issue.

Bear in mind that the TCS asnd VDC both rely on the ABS wheel sensors to tell their processors how fast each wheel is spinning. The VDC unit, aside from the ABS sensors, also has a yaw sensor to tell the processor how fast the body itself is turning.

If any sensor is sending erroneous data, it'll take erroneous actions.

If you drive in a straight line and just jump on the brakes, what happens? Does the ABS perform normally, or does your left side front caliper trigger ABS faster than the other wheels? If the car behaves normally when you're going straight, then I'd be more concerned about a yaw sensor or VDC processor issue.

Take your car to a Nissan dealership that's populated with less retarded service technicians. If you're in an especially bad mood call up head office to complain about their gross lack of product knowledge.

The 350Z Track has always come with VDC. I've still got my brochure from back in 03, if you want to make a photocopy to shove up their arses.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer - I really appreciate it and will try the Nissan dealer again and hopefully will talk to someone who has a brain!!!!