SAU Community

How Do You Maintain Your V35 ?

Depends where you garage and use your car. If it sits out in the sun a lot during the year like mine then I would suggest that it will need polishing up to 4 times per year. ( I live in Brisbane and lots of uv degradation of paint) but if kept inside mostly and you live well south of the tropics then you might get away with less frequent polishing. Though black is one of the hardest coloured cars to maintain.

Lots of good polishes on the market. I personally prefer Mcguiars NXT generation Tech wax 2. Good prep is most important so get it buffed first or at least buy a quick clay cleaner (I use the Armourall one because its cheaper and just as good as the Mcguiars). Wash it weekly if you can and run your hand over the paint surface after wash and chamois dry. If you no longer feel the smooth slippery suface that it had after polishing then you need to repolish. And if it has been more than a few months then a quick clay treatment will remove a lot of surface contaminants without having to go to the trouble of re buffing.

Good luck

Washed weekly, or 2nd week if i don't drive it much (it's a weekender).

Most washes will be followed up by a spray wax afterwards.

Waxed approximately once every 3 months, as it's a weekender that doesn't see much sun/use.

Proper clay, machine cut/buff, polish, liquid sealant, paste wax once a year.

I use mostly Pinnacle products. My wash liquid however is megs nxt.

Sometimes the bonnet, roof and boot will get waxed for the heck of it (these are your most hard hit areas from UV). Almost all old cars will suffer paint fade/crack on bonnet first, followed by roof and boot at the same time.

Hrmm, i'm due to give my V a big detail..

I'm a major fan of Meguiars' products. I go by the one rule I was given when my Maxima was resprayed over a decade ago ... polish and wax your vehicle when the water stops beading. That's typically every 6 months in my case, with 300km long trips perhaps 10 times in a year and often garaged up whether at home or at work.

When the time comes, it's a five step process:

Wash, Scratch-X for the more stubborn spots, surface prep/polish with their Gold Class Surface Prep, Show Car (#7) glaze and wax with Gold Class Wax.

Edited by The Max

Couple of options...but you have to make sure it IS only dust, not dirt etc (for the contact methods).

A good quality microfibre cloth, DO NOT apply pressure. Simply let the cloth glide over the paintwork. Applying pressure will cause the dust/fine dirt to be pushed against the clear coat, thus creating microscratches aka swirl marks (round scratches you see in the sun, but don't see when there's no strong light etc).

Couple of companies make a dusting brush..it's a large brush with many strands of a special type of fabric coated in paraffin wax amongst other stuff.. that should work ok too.

A watering can is another option.. long as your car is well waxed, pour the water over the car and as the water runs off, it will collect the dust and dirt. It takes some practice to achieve the "sheeting" effect, which is where you pour the water in a certain way so when it runs off, the paint is 90% or more dry.. leaves only a few spots of water you dab with an MF cloth. Youtube has some videos of people showing how to sheet water on paint.

Can also use a waterless wash system..these are self explanatory when you buy the kit.

How about if i just wanna get rid of dust ?

wipe it with a cloth or duster ?

Meguiars Final Inspection and a cotton cloth. Very handy for bird droppings too when they're no older than a few hours. As was said before, make sure it's only dust or light dirt and not medium-heavy dirt when using this stuff.