SAU Community

R33 S1 Clutch Replacement

Stitch

The clutch in my S1 R33 GTS has started slipping badly and at the moment I can't really afford to pay a mechanic to fix it. I have enough cash to buy a new clutch kit so my question is, how difficult is it to replace the clutch in one of these things? I have a few friends who are good with cars although I wouldn't exactly call them mechanics.

I have heard that it isn't overly difficult but nothing really is if you already know what you are doing, unlike myself haha.

Do you have any suggestions as to what clutch kit to get and anything I should be aware of if attempting to do this myself. I have access to a car hoist here at work which should make the whole exercise a bit easier.

Thanks

Ben

Well I guess it depends what your plans for the car are and where you do most of your driving, e.g. traffic, highways, track car etc.

I replaced my standard clutch with a single plate heavy duty item from EXEDY. Clutch has been in now for like 2-3 years and hasnt slipped once even through some punishment. The pedal feel is slightly harder without being un-driveable in traffic. Plus is wasnt to expensive (cant remember how much, got it trade price though).

I got a mechanic to do it (because my mate was working for them at the time, think he did it) but he reckons it wasnt to bad (cost was about $300 with machining the flywheel, new fluid). I wouldn't even try it without a hoist, but I have heard of people doing it in their garages. I think if you had all the tools (long extensions are a must) and someone who knows what there doing then its a good exercise.

Um I think I got the second one (normal heavy duty). In the description it kind of hints that the button clutch is more targetted to slight drift, drag etc. So I think it might be a less streetable. The button just refers to the bits of clutch material sticking up on the ends of the each plate (I think). Some people warn that for street driving a button clutch is to hard or releases too early when you raise you foot only marginally but others say that its bullshit and its very streetable. So I guess it depends what you prefer and wait until someone else raises there opinion.

Either way I know my clutch (normal heavy duty) is still going strong and it did make the pedal stiffer and release slightly earlier but its definately very streetable.

i've pulled the gearbox out of my car in the garage when i broke the clutch pivot bolt. wasn't the easiest thing to do but can be done. i had the car jacked up as high as i could. undoing the bolts were easy, but trying to get the box down and back up was hard with such small moving space. and i hit my head many times, LOL. thankfully i only had to get into the gearbox a small amount. had i been changing the clutch it would've been much harder

dont forget you will have to send your flywheel off to be machined, costs about $40

I've had both button and organic clutches and prefer the organic

feels less harsh on drivetrain and still has good weight to it

they both are a huge improvement over the factory clutch

ps shop around you might be able to get it done at a mechanics for a good rate. from what i've heard there's

bit of a knack to clutches. might need a clutch alignment tool and try to make sure you get a clutch kit that

includes the thrust bearing (noisey one was reason i did my clutch in the first place)

I was in same situation as you (tight on $$) but it was worth every penny to f**k that noisey bearing off. also

slipping clutches are no fun either :D took me like 3 months to save up

Edited by dave_rb20