SAU Community

Help - New To Oz

Hi im due to move to the Gold Coast in a month or 2. Just wanting to no the basics of the car scene over there. Here in Christchurch im into drifting scene got a c33 laurel 20det t3t4 gate front mount lock diff etc.

I heard u dont event need a warrent of fitnes over there just rego? Or do modified cars need certification?

How do police control unsafe vehicles? (Here we get pink or green stickerd)

Would 7k get me a decent rb over there?

is there a decent street drift scene?

Pretty much have no idea wat life in Brisbane is like so any help wud b appreciated.

post-69821-1263110450_thumb.jpg

Hi im due to move to the Gold Coast in a month or 2. Just wanting to no the basics of the car scene over there. Here in Christchurch im into drifting scene got a c33 laurel 20det t3t4 gate front mount lock diff etc.

There is a car scene over in QLD

Have a chat to the ppl in the Queensland Section.

I heard u dont event need a warrent of fitnes over there just rego? Or do modified cars need certification?

You mean an Engineers Certificate?

As long as your car is all legit, rego should not be a problem.

Modify your car within legal laws and you will be fine.

How do police control unsafe vehicles? (Here we get pink or green stickerd)

Same in AUS.

Keep your car legal and you will be fine.

Would 7k get me a decent rb over there?

That should not be a problem.

Or try For Sale section.

is there a decent street drift scene?

Drift scene is pretty big all over AUS.

You might have an even bigger drift scene in Brisbane.

Pretty much have no idea wat life in Brisbane is like so any help wud b appreciated.

I am from Victoria but I have been to Gold Cost.

Nice sunny weather, ppl are pretty lay back.

If you love the beach, then it is for you.

:thumbsup:

ok thanks for that.

What r the legal laws for modification? ie if i put adjusties high mount etc in and its tidy will i b able to get rego strait away?

Whats this engineers cert u mentioned?

Here if you modify your car at all you need 2 get cert from a decent mechanics or you get stickerd.

Thanks.

ok thanks for that.

What r the legal laws for modification? ie if i put adjusties high mount etc in and its tidy will i b able to get rego strait away?

Whats this engineers cert u mentioned?

Here if you modify your car at all you need 2 get cert from a decent mechanics or you get stickerd.

Thanks.

Legal mods will depend which state you are from.

For Example, in VIC, you can only have 1 intake mod.

So it's either air pod(s) or front mount intercooler.

Can't have both unless it is a GTR.

I think that also goes for NSW but if you have a pod(s) it needs to be boxed / shielded off.

I think QLD will be along the same lines.

Stick with in the legal mods, you will not need any engineers cert.

If I were you, I would keep the car stock, get all the road worthy / rego done before starting any modifications, just to save you all the headaches.

If you put adjustable suspension on that's fine, as long as it is at legal ride height.

Lowest you can have your car is 10cm (100mm) above the ground. Lowest point is the exhaust (I think).

If you put a high mount turbo on, it will stick out and cops will pick on that straight away OR get an Engineer's Certificate to say it is legal.

Not sure about QLD, but in VIC you can get an Engineer's Certificate as prof to say the modifications on your car are all LEGAL.

For example if you want to put on a carbon fibre bonnet (illegal in VIC) you need an engineers cert to say its OK to have.

Or if you got a Road Worthy Certificate, meaning a mechanic has checked over the entire car and has passed then that should be enough prof to show the registration office that your car is legal + depending on how strict ppl are at the registration office, some don't care or won't know what's stock and what's not and just pass you.

This may also apply in QLD, but nothing to worry about, if your car is stock.

gold coast/brissy has a healthy drift scene, I'd say better than any other area in australia. there's guys who have laurels just like yours who live in the area. Try posting an intro to yourself and your car in the cefiro/laurel section (http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Cefiros-4-Door-Sedans-Ta-f83.html).

Modification rules vary from state to state, but AFAIK if your car can get a roadworthy cert from the mechanic you can register it, regardless of modifications. You'll only run into trouble with mods if you get picked up by the police and they go over your car.

You can pick up a laurel/cefiro with basic mods for about AUD$8,000 to AUD$10,000, so you should decide if its worth bringing your car over, or just picking one up when you get here.

d1rtyrb - car modification laws vary state to state in AUS, but are generally much stricter than what we have in NZ.

in NZ you can certify practically any modification, as long as its safe (certified) and meets emission standards.

In AUS, all modifications need to be ceritifed by an engineer, and you are limited in same ways to what you can actually do (e.g power/weight restrictions, noise restrictions, etc...) - it's just a No, period. Also correct about the wof thing, things work differently in AUS - but in AUS it costs a LOT more to have a car on the road as it does in NZ.

Make sure if you are going to modify a car in AUS that you consult with an engineer as you go along, that is the easiest way - and will avoid some majorly hefty fines (penalty's for illegally modified cars are much higher in aus than nz) and remember if you're unsure if its legal or not, it probably isnt :ermm: