SAU Community

Wa Pits

niran

hey every one

A while back i got a yellow sticker and because my gearbox had lost its reverse i thought i might as well do the rb25 conversion into my r32 gts-t. I brought a half cut from Ben at KYP and received the invoice and then got the engine and gearbox and customizing parts installed by a mechanic i know.

I went to the pits on Friday 8th Jan. they stated that they cannot pass me as i have gone up in a large amount of RAC horsepower and that i have to get my engine approved before they can look at it.

I was given the "Modification Application Light(production) Vehicles" form and was told to fill the required fields and hand it back to them.

So i need to know what i have to do, To give a run down its basically a rb25 s2 engine that was installed, do i have to get engineering certs for this? or because its a rb25 and the r32 had a rb26dett(GTR) as a model variant will it be alright to just fill out the required information.

Also i do have a few other modifications such as FMIC and pod, the rest such i will return back to stock when going over pits again.

In one off the sections it asks for the "Wheel Rims". I've got R32 Gtr rims on at the moment should i put these down also at the same time?

And finally has any one else had to go through the same procedure after installing an rb25 in there r32 and if so may i get some help.

Thanks guys

Niran

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey bruz, I've just done exactly this process for my turbo kit on my x-trail...

downloaded the 10 billion page form, and filled it in and sent it off. I got the reply back a few days ago, they gave me approval to go ahead with it, and told me i have to get in touch with an engineering signatory. What happens now is he/she will inspect the car and advise if anything's wrong/needs changing, then ill need to do an emissions test and noise test. After that, he'll write up a report and process it through DPI. Im assuming thereafter, ill have some sort of paperwork that says shit is all legal (certificate/info plate rivited on) ...

The RB25 might be a little more involved than my turbo kit, im assuming they'd just check motor mounts etc, and that the suspension and breaks are up to the job of handling the power.

RE: rims, just put them down anyway, all they'll check is they don't stick out the guards, are in reasonable condition, and don't rub etc...

In short, talk to one of the engineers they have on the list, and he'll point ya in the right direction...

Thats as far as i know, hope ive helped a bit!

Hey bruz, I've just done exactly this process for my turbo kit on my x-trail...

downloaded the 10 billion page form, and filled it in and sent it off. I got the reply back a few days ago, they gave me approval to go ahead with it, and told me i have to get in touch with an engineering signatory. What happens now is he/she will inspect the car and advise if anything's wrong/needs changing, then ill need to do an emissions test and noise test. After that, he'll write up a report and process it through DPI. Im assuming thereafter, ill have some sort of paperwork that says shit is all legal (certificate/info plate rivited on) ...

The RB25 might be a little more involved than my turbo kit, im assuming they'd just check motor mounts etc, and that the suspension and breaks are up to the job of handling the power.

RE: rims, just put them down anyway, all they'll check is they don't stick out the guards, are in reasonable condition, and don't rub etc...

In short, talk to one of the engineers they have on the list, and he'll point ya in the right direction...

Thats as far as i know, hope ive helped a bit!

hey man

thanks for this, maybe as you have stated i will go back to the welsh pool office and just get some more clarification on this, i think your also right about the rb25 being a bit more involved but im pretty sure r33 brakes just has a little bigger rotors but the calipers where the same however im yet to 100% clarify that.

again thanks

Niran

LOL ... so... guess it isnt just a "change of engine number" like everyone said :thumbsup:

i know man, i was thinking i would just go in get my car checked, get engine numbers changed and be off on my way. Nop now im trying to get engine approved.. DAM!

Well what the local retards forgot is that while the 32 did come with a 26DETT...the GTR has different crossmember, suspension, and...big f**kin BRAKES.

You need to first fill out the app to modify the vehicle (easy, just note in all sections that you're doing shit properly, especially the bigger brakes, no dodgey shortcuts, blah blah blah) and they'll pass you...they pass just about any application they get that isnt a backyard job.

Next, find an engineer to write you up a certificate (list of these on their website, along with the application form)...since there's already quiet a few R32s running around with the RB25DET...this will be easy...and cheap, by now.

Take it to the pits and you'll get a big list of permits for everything non factory.

Not difficult, even when you do it properly and the non-retarded way.

:thumbsup:

alright so what should i do then? should i run the r32 gts-t brakes and it should be fine? or should i install some r33 rotors? or should i just go and buy some slotted DBA rotors?

yeah and it's not like slotted / vented makes any difference, or perhaps 2 piston vs 4 piston...no...no difference at all.

Brake Booster? who even needs one...

hey man, i do understand about the venting and the rotor size, however my r32 gts-t already has 4 pots so should that be alright?

Just use the R33 brake setup dude.

It comes down to the engineer declaring the car as having a safe power to weight ratio and correct brakes ... but it's easier to just use the R33 brakes now, rather than have to make yet another trip back there if it does get knocked back for having smaller rotors / smaller caliper. Might as well go slotted rotors now, makes engineer / pits / cops more friendly.

EDIT: YES, he DOES need bigger rotors because he is increasing displacement.

Edited by Nic_A31

Just use the R33 brake setup dude.

It comes down to the engineer declaring the car as having a safe power to weight ratio and correct brakes ... but it's easier to just use the R33 brakes now, rather than have to make yet another trip back there if it does get knocked back for having smaller rotors / smaller caliper. Might as well go slotted rotors now, makes engineer / pits / cops more friendly.

EDIT: YES, he DOES need bigger rotors because he is increasing displacement.

Alright no problems, however i do have one question.. i know the rotors are a bit bigger, however Ive heard that the calipers where the same in r32 gts-t/r33 gts-t. is any one able to confirm that, cheers

Edited by niran

My understanding was Z32 TT / R32 GTR / R33 GTS-T were the same 4 pot (front) / 2 pot (rear) setup.

R32 is lighter even with the 25, so your power to weight ratio will be different - again. Ask an engineer all this kind of shit.

Edited by Nic_A31

My understanding was Z32 TT / R32 GTR / R33 GTS-T were the same 4 pot (front) / 2 pot (rear) setup.

R32 is lighter even with the 25, so your power to weight ratio will be different - again. Ask an engineer all this kind of shit.

calipers in 33 gtst are same size as 32 GTR not gts-t. Rotors between 32 gtr and 33 gtst were different thicknesses.

Awesome thanks for the help guys, i will then buy some r33 brakes and install them also at the same time so that the Department of transport don't have a sad :D.

sorry to barge in but the 33gtst calipers and 32 gtr calipers are very similar but 1 characteristic, the pistons inside the caliper on the 32 gtr are slightly larger.. but hey, whos gonna pick that? lol

niran your brakes will pass fine dont worry

speak to an engineer first, get him to look over everything, he will tell ya wat he wants to see for him/her to approve it

lol i just got another idea.. scratch off ur engine number from the block, take off the coil pack cover

go to another pits, wen they scratch their heads at the absent engine number, play dumb and hope for the best??? haha

Edited by snozzle

Well what the local retards forgot is that while the 32 did come with a 26DETT...the GTR has different crossmember, suspension, and...big f**kin BRAKES.

You need to first fill out the app to modify the vehicle (easy, just note in all sections that you're doing shit properly, especially the bigger brakes, no dodgey shortcuts, blah blah blah) and they'll pass you...they pass just about any application they get that isnt a backyard job.

Next, find an engineer to write you up a certificate (list of these on their website, along with the application form)...since there's already quiet a few R32s running around with the RB25DET...this will be easy...and cheap, by now.

Take it to the pits and you'll get a big list of permits for everything non factory.

Not difficult, even when you do it properly and the non-retarded way.

:D

local retards?

Well niran, it sucks that you got pulled up like that.

Before Nic_A31 or anyone else leads you further astray..

The differences between 32gtst, 33gtst and 32gtr calipers are:

-32gtst bolt holes to suit 280mm rotor

-33gtst bolt holes to suit 296mm rotor

-32gtr physically the same size and bolt centres as 33gtst but lighter

Rear brakes are all the same.

If you fit the brakes that come from the same vehicle as the engine, then that and the fact that the car is a good 100kg lighter should be enough to satisfy the engineer.

If you also explain that you have upgraded to the gearbox that also suit the new engine, that should go a fair way too.

Also.. gone up too much RAC horsepower?? 167kW to 186kW??