SAU Community

Heading Out West..

abacusnow

I'm looking to move to perth in the next few months... got me a job (I'm a geologist... go figure).

Wondering if its worth bringing the R32 over, i was staying in Northbridge and i noticed a lack of skylines, and a remarkable concentration of police in frigging dodgy 4x4's.

I'm looking to rent short term, then purchase a house. What areas are good in Perth? everyone i've spoken to has had different opinions. Where do most of you guys live?

What sort of attention do the police give skylines over in Perth? do they get the full 9 yards, defect notices for pod filters etc, or is more more like what i'm used to, where a cop recently asked me what FMIC stood for.

Is it worth shipping the car over, or driving it? (she'd make it no problems)

Cheers,

You would be mad to buy a house here. It's the middle of a bubble of insane proportions IMHO.

Good luck w/ your new job, I was also a Geo in a past life.

You should not have too much hassle w/ cops if you drive low key and don't have a very loud 'zaust or BOV.

Edited by Tony de Wonderful

I usually drive low key, the bov and exhaust are loud when pushed but i save that for the track where it dosent matter. (Note: i'll be looking for a new exhaust soon, any recommendations for fabricators in perth?)

Perths nearly always in a bubble.. the downside of being the closest cap city to the big mines is that there's a huge transient population looking for short term accom. This pushes rental prices and demand up. So many places in perth are just 1bedroom apartments with shitty little bathrooms and kitchens - its quite disappointing.

Do most of you guys live in apartment complexes or are you in free titled houses? Is it worth moving out an extra few kays to get a better house?

We're not in a bubble at the moment, we're just getting over a plateau so if you wanted to buy a house, sooner rather than later would be a good idea :( wait 6-12months and the prices will be through the roof again.

Personally, I live in Ashfield (9km east of the CBD) and it's a nice easy commute into work in East Perth. Got a shitty 1945 3 bedroom house on 800sqm, 500m from the river. Good bang for buck as far as land size goes in my area.

I think the rental market is pretty shitty at the moment.

As for where to buy a house.. wait till you're ready, then ask for advice according to your budget :D

By all means, definitely bring the skyline over! We do get some hass but it's not too bad, I've only had one sticker on my 32 and that's pretty much because I snapped 2nd past some cops :) if your car is a rice-mobile, you might get some attention though.

Welcome to WA Rob

I would say that we are at the begining of the next boom. I work for a engineering firm and we are hiring management types like a mad thing. there alot of studies happening at the moment plus the Gorgon deal. I bet that in 18 months we'll be where we were 2 years ago with all the manpower, procurement lead times, wages growth issues and off course rising house prices.

As for driving the 'line, we (the plods) are pretty lenient in comparison to the east coast. There is a time and a place for everything, be cool and keep a low profile. If your young and acting the fool..or in the wrong place at the wrong time, you could get defected for a dirty windshield; the majority of the police here arent terribley knwoledgable in regard to whats what so you could get a book full. As long as the pod is anchored correctly you should be ok.

Join SAUWA, we have regularish driver training days that are a lot of fun.

Perth really hasnt caught up with this whole sex in the city, apartment nonsense. Buy a house in a decent suburb that has a proper garage.

Thanks for the responses guys!

SAUWA would be a definite once i get settled, i'm looking to get my R32 out on the track more, since its basically one decent turbo short of being a great machine. and Barbagello is so close :)

I agree about you about being at the start of a new boom. My job is primarily around because lots of companies are ramping up demands and starting new projects, and their database geologists/schleps arent up to the task. Used to be impossible to get an interview with 6 months experience. now i'm getting calls from guys i spoke to once asking if i was available. personally i'd give it 6 months until we're back to a bull market.

hehe a geo (passive is a geo, and im a fieldy in the mines)

i live SOR but NOR if ur close to CBD it's pretty good, i live about 15km's from the city... quite a few lines, but if your car doesn't look like itll draw huge amounts of attention you should be alright...

think our underground just hired some geos but their turn around rate underground is epic fast haha (im in exploration :P)

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Your claim of "same turbo, same boost, same timing" is why I commented on it. You can't change how the exhaust flows, not alter the ignition or fuel map, and instantly say one is worse than the other, as one is likely now out of tune to the other.   While turbo lag isnt great, it's also not the whole picture. Nor would I say the factory manifold is the best for fluid dynamics. That and most GOOD aftermarket manifolds additionally aren't aimed at stock/small sized turbos, nor do most of the companies building them have a Great idea on fluid dynamics, they just understand and build to the same basic principles. Those aftermarket manufacturers also don't have epically huge budgets to go doing shit tonnes of R&D to get the best performing manifold.
    • I've got a Nexus for one of my other cars and I was surprised how simple it is to use and seems like a good quality bit of gear. The tech support guys are good to chat with too.
    • My point is more so focused on the division between cylinders 1 to 3 vs 4 to 6. Any low mount "bolt on" aftermarket manifold utilises an open T3 collector which has crap all scavenging effects. Sure it might allow you to slap in more timing up top to make a little more but you'll lose all the down low performance. Even Tao from @hyper-gear has experienced the same when modifying the stock manifold. He has experienced added lag by cutting out the divider inside vs. leaving it alone. Twin scroll works, even if the effort is focused primarily on the manifold and an open scroll turbine housing. Please don't confuse me with a V8 NA or Americans that thinks you need back pressure in a 4 stroke motor.
    • I bought mine from Concept Z https://conceptzperformance.com/hks-stainless-steel-catback-exhaust-system-full-dual-muffler-infiniti-q60-coupe-17-cv37-awd-rwd-31014-kn001_p_32626.php Put it on myself. Very easy jack stands. But if i was going to do it again i would get something like this   https://conceptzperformance.com/nissan-infiniti-infiniti-sport-exhaust-kit-axle-back-exhaust-system-infiniti-q60-17-coupe-cv37-b0100-q60st_p_30289.php Or just straight pipe it the whole way. I drove the car without an exhaust for shits and giggle when i was swapping it and it's not very loud at all.