SAU Community

Importing R35 Gtr?

GTReality

Have been researching what vehicles can be imported and it seems that SEVS indicates that its OK to bring in a new only GTR with a build date before 20/2/2009.

http://www.raws.com.au/SEVSRuling.asp?RulingID=477

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/sevs/477-01.htm

Can anyone confirm that this is correct and if it is even possible to find a new GTR with a build date that old?

Cheers

Peter

Hey Peter

I can tell you it's definitely possible to find a new GTR with a build date before Feb 2009 but it's obviously will become increasingly harder to find them as time goes on.

The last one sold new through the auctions had a build date from 2008 and was sold for 5,800,000 yen which is very good value.

My understanding (based on the detailed response from clearly more informed sources - the likes of Beer Baron, Iron Chef and Monster Imports), is that it is not only necessary to source a GTR with a build date that pre-dates this point in time (early 2009 or whenever) BUT ALSO that the car must be limited to somewhere in the vicinity of 200klms (2000?) on the clock. In other words;

* only a demo model would suffice

* even then it would likely exceed the mileage constraint

* even if it didn't exceed the mileage constraint it will have been located by many other interested parties

* even if it had not been purchased there is no way that it will sell as cheap as other such GTR's - the Japanese will be very aware of its desirability in Australia, and I would see such as example fetching closer to the 7M Yen FOB mark, which would see this landed for circa $120K (7M Yen = app $90K AUD, plus $4.5K duty, $10K GST, $2K shipping and $15K LCT - all approximations).

But I stand to be corrected.....

prices on these cars fluctuate wildly depending upon the 'saleability' of the car.

witness the discrepancy in price between a pre 5/99 RX7 and a 6/99 RX7 - not so much now, but 3-4 years ago there was a 30% difference in price. Didn't matter if other ineligible 99 RX7's were cheap - what mattered was that the Japanese had a ready market for 6/99 and beyond RX7's in Australia, and so the price escalated.

1. Re the question of eligibility re mileage, This is an instructive read....... http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/R35-Gtr-t276825.html. It basically highlights both the extreme improbability and the exceptional risk associated with such an importation.

2. If you can source me an R35 GTR for below 6M Yen FOB that is eligible for import under SEVS legislation (and full road registration) - consider me a highly interested (willing and able) party. I suspect you'd find another 20 people on this forum would be the same...

Has anyone on the forums actually imported such a vehicle in the last - say - 6 months?

Edited by GreenR32GTR

My understanding (based on the detailed response from clearly more informed sources - the likes of Beer Baron, Iron Chef and Monster Imports), is that it is not only necessary to source a GTR with a build date that pre-dates this point in time (early 2009 or whenever) BUT ALSO that the car must be limited to somewhere in the vicinity of 200klms (2000?) on the clock. In other words;

* only a demo model would suffice

* even then it would likely exceed the mileage constraint

* even if it didn't exceed the mileage constraint it will have been located by many other interested parties

* even if it had not been purchased there is no way that it will sell as cheap as other such GTR's - the Japanese will be very aware of its desirability in Australia, and I would see such as example fetching closer to the 7M Yen FOB mark, which would see this landed for circa $120K (7M Yen = app $90K AUD, plus $4.5K duty, $10K GST, $2K shipping and $15K LCT - all approximations).

But I stand to be corrected.....

agreed with you.

car has to be less than 200km

it's hard to find 2008 R35GTR and only done less than 200km

i will expect 7m+ for less than 200km 2007~2008 R35

7 mil yen will be pretty steep for a new R35 that's already outdated by the 2010 models. Like I said before, 5.8 mil yen was the last one sold, and that before was one at 6.2 mil yen.

i guess you not understand what he said!!

car has to be under 200km.

if you can find R35GTR 2007~2008 done less than 200km for 5.8M yen.

put me down. i will take one

also got 2 other mate keen for this :P

cheers

I'm not here to cause arguments, seriously. I'm just stating what I have seen that has gone through the auctions. If you choose not to believe me, then that's fine, I really dont care. But for anyone who does have access to past sales, then look it up.

Like I said on my first post above, WAS NEW, NOT USED. Sold this month. Standard car, not black or premium. 2008 build date. Grey colour. ZERO kms. GRADE 7. SOLD 5,800,000 YEN.

Will there be another one like this to come up for sale? Possibly.

When? Who knows, could be this week or could be next year.

Price? Again it depends on the day and how many ppl are interested in the car. Could be 5.8, or less or more.

My point is that anything is possible.

Theres heaps of 2008 GTR35 on goo now. Many have around 300kms, about 10 have less than 200kms, a couple have less than 100km, prices varying from 6mil to 8mil.

Where abouts can you check them out? Are they standard stock and could be brought in under SEVS?

Thanks everyone for confirming that technically its still possible to import and register a R35 GTR.

1. Re the question of eligibility re mileage, This is an instructive read....... http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/R35-Gtr-t276825.html. It basically highlights both the extreme improbability and the exceptional risk associated with such an importation.

Has anyone on the forums actually imported such a vehicle in the last - say - 6 months?

Based on what Beer Baron experienced it does not seem practical considering the level of risk involved.

I agree It would be good to know if anyone has successfully imported and registered a GTR in the last 6 months.

Guess I will need to keep looking for the right R34 to import and forget about ever getting a R35... :down:

Where abouts can you check them out? Are they standard stock and could be brought in under SEVS?

Heres a link - Goo

Any car agent in Japan should be able to source from goo. If youve got 70K to import one of these, you could probably afford to get a modified one and take the mods off for compliance. Then again, most are stock anyway. :down:

Edited by BigWillieStyles

Yeah most agents can source one through goo.

Problem for us (as the customer here in Australia) is that such markets don't quite offer the assurance that an auction system does (yes the merits of auction grades are debatable but they're a better alternative to buying on the basis of a 'vendor report').

And so any agent will be happy to buy you such a vehicle - they get their commission up-front and risk-free.

Too bad for the Aussie customer who lands it to find out that it has structural repairs, and their $70K import is ruled 'for the scrapheap'.

And re the $70K, these numbers just keep getting better and better. Give it another 6 replies to this thread, and the cost will be down to 3 slabs and an S13 trade-in!

Even assuming that one could be sourced via the auctions at 5.8M yen (and an ELIGIBLE model can't), this is still 6M Yen FOB. To my reckoning, at a cross-rate (today) of 80.1, most financial institutions will give you a buy rate of circa 78 Yen. So this would be $77K just for the purchase. And $102K landed, pre-compliance.

Given my estimate of 7M Yen sale price, and circa 7.2M Yen FOB, I get a landed cost of $125K pre-compliance. I have no idea what compliance is worth (I'd budget $7500 total cost), which means $133K ready to register.

Anyone who seriously has this cash ($140K) may just as well buy locally.

An import of an R35 GTR only becomes 'attractive' at circa $110K inc compliance (although everyone will have a different tipping point), which again requires a car to be sourced, Grade 7A, at 6M Yen FOB.

And - given that T400 has several friends interested, as am I - I am sure a purchaser in Japan could then extract a slightly higher price.

Re JDM P - I'm with you, not here to agitate, but to spell out the realities that accompany the technicalities, not only to potentially save some poor soul, but also to reduce the chatter (...I know, it's chatter of my own doing).

Edited by GreenR32GTR

Yeah most agents can source one through goo.

Problem for us (as the customer here in Australia) is that such markets don't quite offer the assurance that an auction system does (yes the merits of auction grades are debatable but they're a better alternative to buying on the basis of a 'vendor report').

And so any agent will be happy to buy you such a vehicle - they get their commission up-front and risk-free.

Too bad for the Aussie customer who lands it to find out that it has structural repairs, and their $70K import is ruled 'for the scrapheap'.

And re the $70K, these numbers just keep getting better and better. Give it another 6 replies to this thread, and the cost will be down to 3 slabs and an S13 trade-in!

Even assuming that one could be sourced via the auctions at 5.8M yen (and an ELIGIBLE model can't), this is still 6M Yen FOB. To my reckoning, at a cross-rate (today) of 80.1, most financial institutions will give you a buy rate of circa 78 Yen. So this would be $77K just for the purchase. And $102K landed, pre-compliance.

Given my estimate of 7M Yen sale price, and circa 7.2M Yen FOB, I get a landed cost of $125K pre-compliance. I have no idea what compliance is worth (I'd budget $7500 total cost), which means $133K ready to register.

Anyone who seriously has this cash ($140K) may just as well buy locally.

An import of an R35 GTR only becomes 'attractive' at circa $110K inc compliance (although everyone will have a different tipping point), which again requires a car to be sourced, Grade 7A, at 6M Yen FOB.

And - given that T400 has several friends interested, as am I - I am sure a purchaser in Japan could then extract a slightly higher price.

Re JDM P - I'm with you, not here to agitate, but to spell out the realities that accompany the technicalities, not only to potentially save some poor soul, but also to reduce the chatter (...I know, it's chatter of my own doing).

Hi mate

good point

if you can get me one for 100k landed and complied.

i am keen for it.

not going to waste your time.

but you 100% sure. you can get one 2008 with less than 200km for less than 100k landed and complied?

pm me your contact number. i am ready for one.

i am sure a lot people one the forum will happy to pay you 100k for brand new JDM R35GTR

thank you

Heres a link - Goo

Any car agent in Japan should be able to source from goo. If youve got 70K to import one of these, you could probably afford to get a modified one and take the mods off for compliance. Then again, most are stock anyway. :down:

Thanks, will check it out...

I hate to burst some bubbles, but it isn't just a matter of finding an R35 that has less than 300km on the odometer and built before Feb 2009 - if it were that easy, agents across Japan would be buying early models and fiddling with the odometers accordingly.

DoTaRS requires extensive paperwork to prove that you bought the car NEW from a dealership, you're not allowed to buy them from auction.