SAU Community

Ringing Noise Coming From Gearbox

Hi all

Just finished my manual conversion on my R33 Gtst, the problem is that there is a ringing noise coming from the gearbox,Could this be a warn thrust bearing, Moving through the gears perfect.just that nosie.

Any ideas thats all i can realy think of

Cheers

Hi all

Just finished my manual conversion on my R33 Gtst, the problem is that there is a ringing noise coming from the gearbox,Could this be a warn thrust bearing, Moving through the gears perfect.just that nosie.

Any ideas thats all i can realy think of

Cheers

Dropped your phone in there? :) Nah.

When does the ringing noise appear? Is it specifically while you're driving or only when you put the clutch in? Does is stop when you put the clutch in? Is it a slight grinding sound? (Like rolling a steel wheel on concrete.)

Answers to some of these q's will help diagnose your problem.

Hey mate,

Its fine while the car is not moving it is only when i start moving,when i put the clutch in the noise slowly disapears, the sound is Like rolling a steel wheel on concrete but a higher pitch no grinding noise

cheers

Possibly your throwout bearing in your clutch assembly. Although, you'll usually hear it when its just sitting, and when you put your clutch in, it will slowly disappear. If it's fine while you're sitting and in neutral, it could be slightly worn gear cogs, even just gearbox oil being low.