SAU Community

Vic License Question

Crackfox

OK so I might be moving to victoria in ~3 months, I am currently living in WA, where P plate laws aren't so insanely strict, and I'm 18 years old and just got my full license.

Will I be able to keep my turbo car or buy another v8 and/or turbo?

Will I keep my full license or have to go on p plates?

Ringing up the WA licensing centre was useless and I spent ages waiting, and no one seems to be able to provide me with an answer

try calling vicroads?

i have a bad feeling that you will be stuck on p plates because of your age.

I might have to eventually but I'd rather try get answers somewhere else first. Mobile phone+interstate call+30minutes waiting if its anything like the WA one=lots of credit gone

Well I sortof found the answer on the vicroads site, it says:

Eligibility to qualify for a full Victorian licence

You must have held an interstate or NZ licence for at least three years from your 18th birthday to obtain a full Victorian licence. Any period where you have been disqualified from driving either in Victoria, interstate or in NZ, is excluded when calculating the period of time you have held a licence.

If you have held a driver licence for three years or more, but have no evidence of this, you will need to make a declaration stating such on your application form.

If you have held your licence for less than 3 years the appropriate P1 or P2 probationary licence will be issued depending on your age and the period of time the licence has been held.

-------

Atleast 3 years since you turn 18 holding a license so I'll be a p plater again, FML.

Edited by Crackfox

Well I sortof found the answer on the vicroads site, it says:

Eligibility to qualify for a full Victorian licence

You must have held an interstate or NZ licence for at least three years from your 18th birthday to obtain a full Victorian licence. Any period where you have been disqualified from driving either in Victoria, interstate or in NZ, is excluded when calculating the period of time you have held a licence.

If you have held a driver licence for three years or more, but have no evidence of this, you will need to make a declaration stating such on your application form.

If you have held your licence for less than 3 years the appropriate P1 or P2 probationary licence will be issued depending on your age and the period of time the licence has been held.

-------

3 years since you are 18 holding a license. FML.

Pretty sure you keep you're license to the conditions you were issued (if that makes sense). Like NSW L Platers can only go 80kmh max, but if a Vic L Plater came into NSW I have been taught they can do the set speed (100kmh). Dont quote me in court if it ends up that way, double check to be sure. Do you HAVE to get it changed to a VIC license? Why?

Edited by Borci88

Pretty sure you keep you're license to the conditions you were issued (if that makes sense). Like NSW L Platers can only go 80kmh max, but if a Vic L Plater came into NSW I have been taught they can do the set speed (100kmh). Dont quote me in court if it ends up that way, double check to be sure. Do you HAVE to get it changed to a VIC license? Why?

Well the way the article strait from vicroad reads I will definately be on P1's or P2's, anyone who isnt over 21 becomes a p plater.

And my license has to be transferred within 3 months so I'll have a quarter of a year left with my beloved gtst once I move before I have to buy a depressing car. I may as well use up my other 7 demerit points in this time as well cos I'll have no use for them once I only get a measly 5 on P plates. Then again, that wont be much fun because a speeding fine of 3kmph over the limit is probably 7 demerit points in vic

Haha close, 1 point per 10km over if i am not mistaken. I lost 1 point for doing 3km over. But if you are caught doing 30km over speed limit i am pretty sure you instantly lose your license. Welcome to Victoria =]

ummm just use your WA license........ you dont have to change, even after that certain "3 months" they usually speak of.

when you get pulled over "you are visiting".... simple

Hmmm there is also a clause somewhere about special consideration of vehicles. This may include if you legally purchase a car on one licence in WA then move to Vic?

Yeah sort of. You can read more about Exemptions here:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licenc...gedvehicles.htm

You might be out of luck though, they are a bit *tight ass* about it.

I tried to get one when i bought a turbo RX7, said for work purposes it needed extra power to carry heavy metals. And that car was the only thing in my price range. -Was a no go.

I tried a couple months later again and said my uncle died and left me the car and i can't afford another. -Don't even try this, it gets very messy.

Hmm I guess its worth a shot to apply for the exemption, it would be similar to P platers who brought restricted cars before the laws came in I guess

If that doesnt work maybe I will just keep my WA license and car and just drive over to vic and do nothing about it:p I wont change my address to a vic one (instead I can just change my address to my cousins house in WA or something) so technically I could class as living in WA. I would be worried about getting defected though if I attempt this, what would the procedure be for getting and clearing a defect on a WA registered car? And if the same officer spots me 5 times in 8 months or something they will know or suspect I'm not living in WA and could do something about it

You visit alot and you have to go between the states for work :blink:

I wouldnt bother with the exemption it probably wont happen and not only that then its on record you applied for one and then you cant say your from out of state when the cops pull you over.

They wont even bother defecting a car from antoher state as casue of the laws vary from state to state very rarely that would happen so it could probably work for the better aswel with less cop attention iwth WA pLates