SAU Community

Fuel 98

Black_CSR

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why we tune on vortex 98 , even country caltex have it

I've been to Caltex's in Perth that don't even have Vortex98.

Pick a fuel , have car tuned on it and stick to it .

That's what I've done, and you bag my opinion of U98? why? because you use Vortex98?

I did an ~1300km round trip down south and could get U98 everywhere until Albany, filled up there and carried an extra 40L in jerry cans.

I've been to Caltex's in Perth that don't even have Vortex98.

That's what I've done, and you bag my opinion of U98? why? because you use Vortex98?

I did an ~1300km round trip down south and could get U98 everywhere until Albany, filled up there and carried an extra 40L in jerry cans.

Not bagging bp98 ,Our BP is daylight hours and often runs out as its only place in town with it yet we have two 24hr caltex servos with in 10ks of each other and no BP at collie and if we have cars in perth for events there is 24hr caltex 500mtrs down road from our maddington depot ..

In my car, every time I put my foot down and it hits full boost.. no pingping = no bad fuel.

LOL then regular is good , 31 ran on regular unleaded at drags after i filled from wrong jerry can :) no ping n still 12s .. also you dont always hear the marbles drop :)

Whether its vortex98, Ultimate98 or Peak98, its essentially same shit different bucket.

Those who claim to have huge fuel efficiency discrepancies are mostly lying to themselves only because the chances that they drove the same places/distances/speed/foot down etc could not have been accurate.

Most street cars 95ron is fine, the RON only matters when the car is of significant horsepower and in which case, they wouldn't be running average joe unleaded fuels anyway.

LOL then regular is good , 31 ran on regular unleaded at drags after i filled from wrong jerry can :) no ping n still 12s .. also you dont always hear the marbles drop :)

If you can hear it.. it's probably already done some damage!

Fair call that regular is probably fine what with the safe tunes most people get (read: rich) but I would still prefer to run 98 for a little bit of safety headroom!

Whether its vortex98, Ultimate98 or Peak98, its essentially same shit different bucket.

Those who claim to have huge fuel efficiency discrepancies are mostly lying to themselves only because the chances that they drove the same places/distances/speed/foot down etc could not have been accurate.

Most street cars 95ron is fine, the RON only matters when the car is of significant horsepower and in which case, they wouldn't be running average joe unleaded fuels anyway.

I drive my car to uni, it is the exact same distance, speed limit and place every day of the week. Because it is a 108km round trip, i drive very conservatively, so don't put my foot down very much at all, usually change gears before 3k. Fine there might be the odd occasion where i go over and accelerate a bit harder, but that is not going to make 200kms difference to a tank of fuel. Fact is, my car get's less mileage out of a tank of Peak or Caltex than it does from BP. You can try to tell me otherwise but i am the one that drives my car, i know what it gets to a tank of fuel. They are not all the same fuel.

You realise that in Japan, 98 RON is the lowest octane fuel they have? Therefore a JDM car should not be run on anything less than 98 RON, because it was not made to do so. Your Fords and Holdens and Hyundais etc. will all run fine on normal unleaded because they are made for it. JDM cars can be run on normal unleaded too no doubt about that, but just because it can be done doesn't mean it should. I like to make sure my car is healthy, part of that is making sure it has the right fuel in it.

And there are plenty of cars out there running 900hp or other ridiculously large power figures, and they are doing it on pump fuel. If you car is tuned for it, it is perfect.

I drive my car to uni, it is the exact same distance, speed limit and place every day of the week. Because it is a 108km round trip, i drive very conservatively, so don't put my foot down very much at all, usually change gears before 3k. Fine there might be the odd occasion where i go over and accelerate a bit harder, but that is not going to make 200kms difference to a tank of fuel. Fact is, my car get's less mileage out of a tank of Peak or Caltex than it does from BP. You can try to tell me otherwise but i am the one that drives my car, i know what it gets to a tank of fuel. They are not all the same fuel.

You realise that in Japan, 98 RON is the lowest octane fuel they have? Therefore a JDM car should not be run on anything less than 98 RON, because it was not made to do so. Your Fords and Holdens and Hyundais etc. will all run fine on normal unleaded because they are made for it. JDM cars can be run on normal unleaded too no doubt about that, but just because it can be done doesn't mean it should. I like to make sure my car is healthy, part of that is making sure it has the right fuel in it.

And there are plenty of cars out there running 900hp or other ridiculously large power figures, and they are doing it on pump fuel. If you car is tuned for it, it is perfect.

200kms is a LOT of difference lmao

200kms is a LOT of difference lmao

I know that. Which is why i said the few random moments of acceleration are not going to cause such a massive difference between fuel consumptions. I get 500-550kms to a tank of BP Ultimate if i drive casually. I get about 470-500kms from a tank of Vortex 98. And i get about 320-370kms to a tank of Peak 98. For me that shows the quality between the fuels.

Hanaldo, there are 4 reasons this occurred.

-shit batch of fuel which i doubt

- you didnt fill it up as much as you thought

- you didnt reset the odometer for a while

- you were high at the time.

The difference you stated is huge, I dont get this sort of discrepancy if i have a drift practice during the week. I normally get 450, with a drift practice, read 15-20 laps of barbs on limiter i still get 300-350.

There is NO way in hell you got that sort of difference peak vs bp under normal driving standards.

Not a personal attack, just stating what im sure alot of people are thinking.

Hanaldo, there are 4 reasons this occurred.

-shit batch of fuel which i doubt

- you didnt fill it up as much as you thought

- you didnt reset the odometer for a while

- you were high at the time.

The difference you stated is huge, I dont get this sort of discrepancy if i have a drift practice during the week. I normally get 450, with a drift practice, read 15-20 laps of barbs on limiter i still get 300-350.

There is NO way in hell you got that sort of difference peak vs bp under normal driving standards.

Not a personal attack, just stating what im sure alot of people are thinking.

As i said before, it's very possible i got a shit batch of fuel, but it's never happened with BP which is why i choose that fuel. You can choose to doubt me if you want, doesn't bug me in the slightest what fuel you use. But having actually compared these fuels for myself, those are the results i got and those are the results i base my opinion on.

No offense taken Greg, i was as baffled as you are and i still don't know how to explain it. That is just what happened and since then i have refused to use Peak

Pick a fuel , have car tuned on it and stick to it .

still doesnt save you from bad batches of fuel. i've been using bp98 since i've been doing my own tuning. filled up at bp kalamunda on saturday night and had to pull out 5 degrees of timing everywhere on boost just to stop it pinging badly, was still pinging lighty after that. 5 degrees is a ridculous amount between tanks of the same brand fuel. if it werent so far away i'd be going back and syphoning it back into their tanks

hanaldo, with the standard ecu's in skylines, especially 33s there is no need whatsoever to run anything more than 91. the timing in the standard maps is beyond conservative.

Hey guys, there are only 2 fuel stations in my area which is shell and caltex... So I would like to ask what fuel is best for my car (1994 R33 GTS-T)

Note: If I really need to get a lil bit further to get fuel better than caltex and shell... I will... So pls give me some suggestion.. THANKS

EDITED: Do skylines have the same size of fuel tank? From what I've been told skylines have 65 litres of tank isnt it? My friend's only fill up somewhere around 45 litres full tank.

Edited by R33 Gts-T Sedan

I also prefer to pay a premium for consistency in quality.
Wont ever be consistent in pump fuels
still doesnt save you from bad batches of fuel.

Wow you are on the ball , thanks for the hot tip :happy:

EDITED: Do skylines have the same size of fuel tank? From what I've been told skylines have 65 litres of tank isnt it? My friend's only fill up somewhere around 45 litres full tank.

Yeah 65 litre tank for a GTS-T, it's normal to only fill up 45-50 litres when the needle says you're on empty.

Wow does that mean even if the needle is pointing on E we still have 10 litres or more left?

I've changed fuel pumps before but I don't really remember if the fuel pick-up sock is going to be able to suck up the last few litres of fuel in the tank.

And I'm going to assume that 65L is the total volume of the tank? And you wouldn't actually fit 65L of fuel in it because of an air pocket at the top or something. I dunno.

Doesn't really matter. Just try and fill up when you're in between 1/4 and Empty.

I get just over 400kms from about 50 litres of fuel, but it's not a stock car.

Edited by SKYRYAN

oh yea never thought of the air pocket... Maybe you're right... I can't really know when is my tank empty because my fuel needle keeps moving up and down.. Don't really know what's the problem... Guess I'll just wait till the orange light comes on...