SAU Community

Shipping From Interstate

diamondjo

So let's say you've found the perfect replacement for your written-off pride and joy. The only trouble is, it's over in Queensland.

We all know the ins and outs of importing a car from Japan, but what about when your next dream-car isn't so far afield? A mate of mine has put me onto a very nice machine in Brisbane, but I'm a bit reluctant.

- Since you can't be there; do businesses exist to check out the car for you before you buy? Like RAC but more clued in to the performance market

- Do escrow services exist to transfer funds to the seller once your new car is in transit? What experiences have you had using them and as a seller - how have you reacted to working with escrow?

- Are there any glaring differences in laws that would prevent a legal car in QLD from being registered in WA. My own thought on it is that WA laws are generally more lenient.

- Do you have to put the car over the pits when transferring registration.

I thought I'd start this topic seeing as it doesn't seem to be discussed specifically elsewhere and particularly not in relation to bringing cars to WA from interstate.

Edited by diamondjo

just go there yourself, why risk all that money with people you dont know / never met

and yes car must go over pits so be careful on how it has been modified

as for car transporters.. autotrans seemed to be the cheapest company by a few hundred buks wen i brought my 33 gtr over from adelaide

if u had a friend in Queensland couldn't u just keep it licensed there so u dont need to go over the pits (just a thought)

also might be a good time 4 a road trip :down:

How exciting would that be hey? I've done the nullabor twice when I was a kid, but never driven it myself. How awesome would it be to have 1200km of just you, your car and the road. That song by Buck65 - "Wicked and Weird"? Ohhhh yeah. Just driving for its own sake. I've ALWAYS wanted to do that.

How exciting would that be hey?

Not very.

How awesome would it be to have 1200km of just you, your car and the road...

I've done it a couple of times...a very over rated experience...the road is straight and therefore monotonous in the extreme. Possible fauna interaction at high speed, big ass trucks, stone chips, sundry yokles and police plus you'd be driving a car that may or may not need some work depending on how honest the seller is...truck it over

Not very.

I've done it a couple of times...a very over rated experience...the road is straight and therefore monotonous in the extreme. Possible fauna interaction at high speed, big ass trucks, stone chips, sundry yokles and police plus you'd be driving a car that may or may not need some work depending on how honest the seller is...truck it over

Haha, the perpetual optimist. I like it. In all seriousness though - I love long drives by myself... walks on the beach.. hey, wait. Anyhoo, yeah I take your point. I did Perth to Leonora in a day in a LandCruiser that was burning enough oil to keep a small oil producing nation in business. It was fun up until the point when it got dark. Then it was just scarey! Even in a huge two tonne box of sheet metal and bullbar crazyness.