SAU Community

Insurance Inspection

JT3

Hey guys. My car got hit kinda bad from the hail a few weeks ago (Only cosmetic damage mainly though). I'm getting my car inspected next week. But the thing is I want to keep my speakers and stereo and I don't have anything to replace them with. Will it somehow void my claim or something like that?

I mean I can take out the speakers (they aren't visible unless you take the interior trim apart) but will they check that everything is there and works?

As for CD player; is something required to be there whether stock or aftermarket because I would like to take that out too before the car is taken away from me.

Thanks guys.

Edited by JT3

Probably not. I'm with Just Car and they didn't check any of that, basically just wrote it off and took the keys. I really don't think they're that bothered as the car goes to auction anyway. I left all that gear in because I just COULD NOT BE BOLLOCKSED tearing the interior apart and putting it all back together AGAIN. Done it once. Hated it. I'd rather spend some bucks on some newer gear. Although the speakers were nice kevlar cones. I'll miss them :).

Mate, honestly, if you want to do it, buy the cheapest paper shit you can possibly get (from like supercheap or dick smith or jaycar or something) and just replace them. If you're going to the trouble of ripping the interior apart, a few extra bucks and a few extra minutes will ensure you won't get hassled by the assessor (although mine was a top bloke).

Also, I have a stock head unit if you're interested PM me :(

(EDIT: Spelling)

Edited by diamondjo

Thanks for the reply diamondio :(

Sorry my car list not updated :) Currently driving one of those new celicas.

Might change my alpine speakers and cd player with my dad's stock corolla one and then swap it over again once i get the new car.

Luckily with the celica, well for me, the interior bits are pretty easy to take apart.

who are you insured with and whats the car worth?

my dads car is insured for 9k and is being fixed with sgio

mine insured for 30k and being fixed with just car

paintless dent removal seems to be pretty effective and quite cheap

when I took mine in i changed the rims incase they took if off me but i couldn't be bothered stripping everything. If you do plan to strip it just keep in mind you might be putting it all back in the next day.

Edited by gersfan

who are you insured with and whats the car worth?

my dads car is insured for 9k and is being fixed with sgio

mine insured for 30k and being fixed with just car

paintless dent removal seems to be pretty effective and quite cheap

when I took mine in i changed the rims incase they took if off me but i couldn't be bothered stripping everything. If you do plan to strip it just keep in mind you might be putting it all back in the next day.

I'm insured with AAMI insurance and I'm insured for an agreed 10k. Basically called up and they going to tow it away next week.

Right now I can count up to about 150 dents. Dents are on the bonnet, roof, hatch, pilars and doors. Front window has a huge crack in there at the moment and there is no rear windscreen. A few globes were blown as well ( I know it's not a big deal but hopefully they see it as some sort of damage haha).

23441_372101404396_644059396_3646627_8055519_n.jpg

23441_372101409396_644059396_3646628_2551621_n.jpg

23441_372101399396_644059396_3646626_7246567_n.jpg

Just tell them when they write the car off.

If the audio gear was part of the agreed value then they'll subtract it from what they pay you out. If it wasnt, just take it out, they won't care.

I know a few people who've been asked if they want to remove the stuff before the car is written off.

Basically if u have a higher av than the market value of the car it will be taken with the car as this is why the car was valued higher.

If its a third party policy which has your wheels/audio excluded then you can take them out

If you remove the mods and they were listed on the policy claim could be denied on those grounds, but if you never advised the insurance company then they had no idea they were fitted.

If the audio gear was part of the agreed value then they'll subtract it from what they pay you out. If it wasnt, just take it out, they won't care.

I know a few people who've been asked if they want to remove the stuff before the car is written off.

Just had a quick read of my policy. I don't think any of the audio gear was in my policy. Assuming it was insured with all stock.

Basically if u have a higher av than the market value of the car it will be taken with the car as this is why the car was valued higher.

If its a third party policy which has your wheels/audio excluded then you can take them out

If you remove the mods and they were listed on the policy claim could be denied on those grounds, but if you never advised the insurance company then they had no idea they were fitted.

Yeah I got comprehensive insurance with AAMI. Car was insured as a completely stock car and I have since removed my mods.

Called them up yesterday and basically getting the car towed away. Once it's been assessed, I wont get a chance to remove anything, so it's best if I do so beforehand.

Thing is, I don't think they'll know if my car has speakers or not (assuming that everything looks standard) or will they?

For the record guys, aftermarket car audio is NOT covered in car insurance. It can be covered under home + contents insurance, but if your car gets stolen, burnt out, totalled, hail damaged, and thus written off, most policies dont account car audio as extra value of the car. I know JustCar do, which also add to the agreed value of the car along with flash paint jobs, specific modifications, bodyklits, etc, but most polices won't cover it.

Yeah I got comprehensive insurance with AAMI. Car was insured as a completely stock car and I have since removed my mods.

Called them up yesterday and basically getting the car towed away. Once it's been assessed, I wont get a chance to remove anything, so it's best if I do so beforehand.

Thing is, I don't think they'll know if my car has speakers or not (assuming that everything looks standard) or will they?

Remove all your gear and say the car had nothing when you got it. All stock, just like the policy says. If anything they'll deduct a couple of hundred bucks off your pay out, if that.

Remove all your gear and say the car had nothing when you got it. All stock, just like the policy says. If anything they'll deduct a couple of hundred bucks off your pay out, if that.

Thanks for the reply man. Great info you got there :) Yeah I have taken out all my audio stuff now :(

... good; now just put in some cheap sh/t > then your conscience won't chase you :cool:

Dont even bother doing that, not worth it. When my mates car was written off he had a sound system worth about 3 times as much as the car, we just ripped it out and left the car with nothing. Insurance didn't care at all, they just auction it off to one of their wrecking companies and it gets scrapped.

i havent read the thread aside from the first post, so excuse me if someone's said it.. but just rip all your shit out of the car

unless the stereo gear is specifically listed on your policy you have no obligation to produce a car with a stereo to them, and even if it was listed i'd still remove it haha

yeah i've ripped everything out now :D so all good. Just goign to get my exhaust changed back to stock before it gets towed away.

i tried to get my front bar they said no. coz it was covered on my policy they said they own it now so i couldnt even buy it back separately unless i brought back the whole wreck.

i tried to get my front bar they said no. coz it was covered on my policy they said they own it now so i couldnt even buy it back separately unless i brought back the whole wreck.

If you were the owner you should get the wreck back alot cheaper than what they'd sell it to a wrecker for.

Nathan (TAKUSHI) got his RB25 Ceffy wreck back from (?)JustCar for $600.

Probably works out better off to buy the wreck back and part it out, otherwise there are only a handfull of wreckers that will by a Skyline, wait a few weeks then ring around to track it down.