SAU Community

Collingrove Hillclimb Come And Try Day

Damo_R34

glenn is in, got the coolant hoses all changed, i am out unless someone wants to cover the $65 entry fee for me :) (josh i am looking ur way mr moneybags)

cheers Bengi

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the track day it will be myself in the starlet. and possibilities are bengi in the r31, Dave in the s14 (pending brakes), and glenn in the mx5 (pending coolant issue)

wicked are you guys meeting up somewhere as i would like to tag along and enter please :blink:

glenn is in, got the coolant hoses all changed, i am out unless someone wants to cover the $65 entry fee for me :blink: (josh i am looking ur way mr moneybags)

cheers Bengi

Glenn is out, leaky rad for him

new travels fast...and we have clearly seen that coolant leaks don't stop glenn from racing anyways ;)

:D Yeah well he might as well blow the motor now with his luck

Where abouts are you krishy. Were north eastern suburbs and are leaving at 7 to pick up Dave. I can't pm yet but I'll be online for a bit longer

sorry i wasnt on here much longer last night man.....cheers for the heads up.....prob a good thing i didnt go anyway.....cheers anyway

feedback?

i found it alright because it was an opportunity to drive the 200.

but overall, shit.

according to the site, max of 75 entries.

over 100 were permitted.

took an hour to get paperwork sorted.

a further hour waiting for my first run.

then an hour between runs.

got 4 runs legitimately.

and 1 more because i told a little white lie to the official.

most fun was the burnouts.

paid $90 for the privilege though.

i wont be going back, and i know everyone i went with feels the same... except maybe josh.

Edited by scandyflick

feedback?

i wont be going back, and i know everyone i went with feels the same.

Craig, give me the numbers (not names) of those who were not happy. I'll get back in touch with the organisers and give them some feedback. I worked there on the saturday and saw a few 'problems' I want to share with them.

I know they were trying out a new timing system today. I'll find out if delays were a result from this, or whatever.

:P

Craig, give me the numbers (not names) of those who were not happy. I'll get back in touch with the organisers and give them some feedback. I worked there on the saturday and saw a few 'problems' I want to share with them.

I know they were trying out a new timing system today. I'll find out if delays were a result from this, or whatever.

:P

craig...?

timing worked faultlessly all day. had a couple mix ups with entry numbers and the names they were meant to line up with though.

despite how far behind schedule they were, they still had the gawler car club 'parade' lap.

they didnt have enough of the required forms.

they allowed well over 100 people to participate.

the reason it was closed early was 'possible bad weather'.

for the first run, people were cutting the line into the chute and nobody cared. consequently, some people got 2-3 runs to everyone elses 1. (yes, people, not cars)

546, 547, 548. our little entourage seemed to agree (about a dozen people), at best, poor value for money and horribly organised. we didnt bother getting opinions from anyone else that was there.

Edited by scandyflick

Agree with Dave totally. I for one am glad I did not enter. Being there, seeing the total lack of any order, the constant wait times and just poor planning was enough to ensure I won't be back. The 3PM close due to "bad weather" was bullshit. It was the exact same the whole day.

Overall, bad bad taste in my mouth

yeah i wasnt real happy with the day being run. also they had half hour breaks for the competitors to 'rest up'. if they were organised and cut the crap all day there would have been a few more hours in it. Ruby my first run was at 10:30, id been there from 8:30. also got 4 runs and lied to get my 5th. they driver change thing was crap, some people had 3 or even 4 drivers so they were getting some value for their money.

positives was the timing printouts (although i did used to like the big board at the top of turn one) and the skids. I dont think the locals knew what hit them when it was my turn :P

Firstly ... sorry Dave :thumbsup:

Secondly ... sounds like it indeed was a bit of a disorganised day. Wish I was working there today to see first hand ... and hopefully have made a difference. 3pm close to the day? It rained alot on the Saturday and the competition was crash-free (but made for some awesome power-slides) ;)

I'll shot off an email tomorrow and see what I can find.

Hello

I don't think hillclimbing is for everyone, and it isn't a spectators sport.

It is a Grass roots Motorsport, it where you build something and take it to the hill and see if you can beat the bloke who built something else.

I have been hillclimbing for a number of years and I can not tell you how happy I was when I left Collingrove on Staurday after setting a PB in my GTR.

I was there today with my wife and kids in the V6 automatic VY commodore (we double entered) and we had a ball. (41.32)

Yeah you wait around a bit, but that's when you go and have a chat with a guy who fiddling with his creation.

Like I said Hillclimbing not for everyone.

No.96

As a lot of guys have said, the big problem will Collingrove is its a lot of waiting around to only get a couple of clean runs for the day. Its something the really need to do something about IMHO.

I have been up there maybe 5 or so times in the last 5 years. Luckily it has been dry every time I have been up there, but even then generally you get 5 runs up the hill max for the day. The first is an un-timed practice at the start of the day (on a very dusty track) so it of no real use apart from helping to clean the track up. The first timed run you can start to get a feel for where your car is at and try and get some feedback on your tyre pressures. Second run you try and dial it in a bit more (by which times the track conditions have no doubt changed a lot anyway), then if your lucky you get 2 good 37odd second runs at the end of the day... $90 is a lot to fork out for a couple of clean runs =( and if anyone happens to spray some dirt on the track or dump some oil then your back to square one again with a dirty track.

For me Motorkhana is much better value for money... $25 and you will generally get 12 runs for the day, and it can be every bit as intense as Collingrove once you start getting serious about it.

I have however had one great day at Collingrove, I think Nissan Datsun had a day there a couple years ago, we only had about 30 entries, the official were on the ball and everyone got 10 passes for the day. Getting a run every 30 minutes makes a huge difference, normally you are just getting your car and eye dialed in when its time to pack up and go home, but with 10 passes you can get yourself all sorted out in the morning and then have 5 clean runs in the afternoon to really attack the track.

Hello

I don't think hillclimbing is for everyone, and it isn't a spectators sport.

It is a Grass roots Motorsport, it where you build something and take it to the hill and see if you can beat the bloke who built something else.

I have been hillclimbing for a number of years and I can not tell you how happy I was when I left Collingrove on Staurday after setting a PB in my GTR.

I was there today with my wife and kids in the V6 automatic VY commodore (we double entered) and we had a ball. (41.32)

Yeah you wait around a bit, but that's when you go and have a chat with a guy who fiddling with his creation.

Like I said Hillclimbing not for everyone.

No.96

I was watching you all day Michael (whilst doing my job) ;) At one stage you were only 2.4 seconds off the Evo in first spot by the end of third session (in the wet!!!). How did you finish up? You looked good for a top 3 spot for a street car.

:thumbsup:

I was watching you all day Michael (whilst doing my job) ;) At one stage you were only 2.4 seconds off the Evo in first spot by the end of third session (in the wet!!!). How did you finish up? You looked good for a top 3 spot for a street car.

:thumbsup:

I did a 34.97 on my last run. Big smiles at the end of the day.. I think second?