SAU Community

Garrett 3076r Internal Or External Gate Rear Housing To Small?

Light switch power from low RPM compared to the gradual push of power from the 35R.

I dont understand this, your saying the GT30 comes on harder than a GT35? Yes it will come on sooner but harder???

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way you can beat a GT35 with GT30 on identical car running same mods and same boost. You find GT30s comes up half car length on 1st and 2nd gear and do its little wheels spins. by 7000 3rd gear car with GT3582 will be about 2 car length ahead.

Also I don't really find cars with small and responsive turbos are actually faster. Drag those 180sx with Discos, they just do their little wheel spins, you find them slowing down as soon as their wheels break traction. But for every day that is probably more fun to drive.

Are you all really that hard of reading?

i want fast response and good midrage to redline pull i want to use the car for daily driving, drift and every now and agian drag and curcuit. power comes second to response and relaiblilty for me i wont be pushing it to the extreme but i want headroom.

Over a 1/4 mile, of course the car with more power will generally be faster given all things are equal, however this isn't a 150km/h+ race

But once again... (i think the 3rd time now), the OP is not after PEAK POWER.

Street duties/response/factory motor and so on the choice is very clear cut what choices are there and to suggest a GT35 should even be considered is silly.

If cars are doing "their little wheel spins", then that comes down to the car/driver not the power its making.

Poor tyres, suspension, throttle control, diff gearing etc all contribute to the overall package.

Are you all really that hard of reading?

No I'm not hard of reading. (you mean reading hard?) :merli:

Well if some one pull on front of me for a drag. All I would care is if I can beat him or not. I don't think I would be focusing on the speedo when my peddle is floored. Winners tell loosers that they have better setups.

Edited by kwickr33

Wow this went off topic pretty quick.

The OP wants a responsive turbo with head room, and a turbo that will handle track days/drift & drag days.

STANDARD MOTOR - to the blokes saying your bored of 300kw, come on now, if you can use them all I would be impressed wheels spinning in 3rd doesn't equal a good setup.

Like has been said - 3071 seems to suit.

Asking for more than 300kw of a standard motor is asking for trouble and asking to empty your bank account

Hey guys i do like reading what everyone has to say as everyone has there veiw but in reality i went to a drift day the other day and loved it, and joined a club and will be doing a lot more of it on that particular track i didnt get out of second and even on a big track seeing power hit at the end on 3rd just wouldnt suit that kind of driving and probally hinder it rather than make me a better driver.

i have 188 KW now and i dont want to jump to 350KW its not safe to the motor and me as a driver to jump that far in a car that i am still ajusting the sus setup etc.

i can always go bigger later but atm i dont need it i just want the same power to weight ratio that the S13's and 180sx's my friends have as i have started off with a heavier chasis

i want to use S15 injectors as long as they can reach that power.(suggestions)

and am looking at a 6boost manifold setup love the sound of external gate so leaning in that direction

these are the factors Street driven, reliable has to drive to and from the track, response coming on to boost at 5000rpm wont be fun for me trying to drift the car.

GT3076R internal gate sounds fine for what you want, I'm still having lots of fun with mine - feels great on the track. Big torque between 4000-7500rpm and very progressive and responsive under foot, makes 301wkw and holds within few kw of peak power to redline even on the stock motor. I've not had a single person drive or go in mine who haven't been impressed by the power delivery of it.

Hey guys i do like reading what everyone has to say as everyone has there veiw but in reality i went to a drift day the other day and loved it, and joined a club and will be doing a lot more of it on that particular track i didnt get out of second and even on a big track seeing power hit at the end on 3rd just wouldnt suit that kind of driving and probally hinder it rather than make me a better driver.

i have 188 KW now and i dont want to jump to 350KW its not safe to the motor and me as a driver to jump that far in a car that i am still ajusting the sus setup etc.

i can always go bigger later but atm i dont need it i just want the same power to weight ratio that the S13's and 180sx's my friends have as i have started off with a heavier chasis

i want to use S15 injectors as long as they can reach that power.(suggestions)

and am looking at a 6boost manifold setup love the sound of external gate so leaning in that direction

these are the factors Street driven, reliable has to drive to and from the track, response coming on to boost at 5000rpm wont be fun for me trying to drift the car.

The more info you provide us the more helpful we can be. If you barely get out of second gear drifting then I would suggest your target of 300rwkw is too high for what you want out of an RB25. I would drop it down to 260-270 and go for response. I think a GT3071 or GT3076 with a 0.63 housing would enable you to really use the power drifting.

Then you can throw a 0.82 housing on if you want the headroom for bigger power later on.

Edited by Harey

The more info you provide us the more helpful we can be. If you barely get out of second gear drifting then I would suggest your target of 300rwkw is too high for what you want out of an RB25. I would drop it down to 260-270 and go for response. I think a GT3071 or GT3076 with a 0.63 housing would enable you to really use the power drifting.

Then you can throw a 0.82 housing on if you want the headroom for bigger power later on.

i didnt say i wanted 300KW i just want the same power to weight ratio of my freinds cars but headroom to move on later once i feel i have progressed to the next level.

i currently have the 3076 surg ported turbo in my room from another project i was going to build but not going to do it anymore. its the .63 rear external gate and i have the 3076r internal gate that needs a new core so i can change between the 2 to suit, some people thought it would choke the motor so i thought that i would ask on here, before trying it. hence my question do you guys think the 63 external gate with 6boost manifold is the better choice than the internal gate on the stock manifold?

i was thining of putting some tomei pon cams in but dont know if thats over doing it or would help response and power delivery all the other parts mentioned i have ready to be fitted just dont want to pay for heaps of tunes just get it right the first time and enjoy the car :/

Edited by lookingforboost

I like the idea of a 0.63 housing gt3076r turbo externally gated. I dont know of many that have tried this setup but i think if put together right it should work well. Then if you want more power in the top end you can always change your housing to a 0.82.

I would have recommended the gt3071 but if you want to increase the power later on go the gt3076r and change over the housing.

i didnt say i wanted 300KW i just want the same power to weight ratio of my freinds cars but headroom to move on later once i feel i have progressed to the next level.

i currently have the 3076 surg ported turbo in my room from another project i was going to build but not going to do it anymore. its the .63 rear external gate and i have the 3076r internal gate that needs a new core so i can change between the 2 to suit, some people thought it would choke the motor so i thought that i would ask on here, before trying it. hence my question do you guys think the 63 external gate with 6boost manifold is the better choice than the internal gate on the stock manifold?

i was thining of putting some tomei pon cams in but dont know if thats over doing it or would help response and power delivery all the other parts mentioned i have ready to be fitted just dont want to pay for heaps of tunes just get it right the first time and enjoy the car :/

3076 with 0.63 externally gated on a 6 boost sounds like a winner to me. Yes in 4th and 5th gears the 0.63 housing will be restricting top end power, but going by what you are asking for it sounds perfect.

Nevertheless the 0.63 will give better response at the cost of some top end....but it will meet all the requirements and is sitting there ready to go. There will no boost control issues which is the major potential drawback of the 0.63 internally gated housing.

I think it is more a question of whether you want to go to an external gate vs internal gate as either turbo will work fine.

Ryan how important is drift performance vs top end to you? If drift is number 1 then I think 0.63 internally gated would be the solution. It will give the best response in second gear while drifting.

i could get a 3071 but dose that offer me the option of upgrading later on down the track like the 3076 dose? and would i just use that on the stock manifold? or use it on the 6boost setup idea?

what sort of boost difference between the 3076 .63 to the .82 m i looking at? and those agianst the 3071R

i have the turbo now with the .63 so changing the housing isnt a big deal just getting some insight, nismoid what are your reasons for thinking its to small and that the .82 would be a better option? possibly with some mild cams?

keep in mind i dont want to have more of the RPM rage waiting for boost than usable power

thanks to everyone for providing input to :(

Ryan how important is drift performance vs top end to you? If drift is number 1 then I think 0.63 internally gated would be the solution. It will give the best response in second gear while drifting.

i am not a big fan of top end i cant use it on the street and running to the top of 3rd and 4th dosnt really interest me if i want to go real fast i'll take the bike for a ride :(

as the guys have said and i expericenced the other day they use 2nd and 3rd depending on the track but where they could feather the pedal because of the weight of my car and power level i had to go to the boards to keep it going so power is second to relability response and bottom end punch as long as the turbo can hold a nice power curve till redline.

also bear in mind that the misses drives this car on a near daily basis :huh:

mate of mine has a 3076 .63 on a 25 in a ceffy. its on a 6 boost and the gate is over 40mm. he had a 40mm but it was too restrictive or something along those lines. car made 360ish hp but he dropped it to 340hp. no trouble on the local go kart track and no drama at QR.

if that helps your decision.