SAU Community

Synthetic Lawn, Fake Grass, Synthetic Turf

Danyboi

Hey Guys

I know this is an odd one for the forum, but i figured someone out there has to have this stuff..

Does anyone have Synthetic lawn laid, ( is it as awesom as they say it is) ?

and does anyone know what the price should be like, I have seen prices vary from $20/sqm - $90+ / sqm ( for DIY)

and some places do installed from $45 / sqm, I know there is a quality difference, but this is a massive price diff.

Anyone have some of the cheaper versions installed, and is it good / Where did you get it from.

Im just trying to cover as much sand at my place as possible, without Emptying the bank accounts, have aprox 120sqm to do in the front alone.

I dont know the pricing but i cant tell you dont use the cheap shit.

A house down the road from me has cheap stuff and it looks like plastic party streamers hahaha

There is a place on Gnangara Road that sells some that looks like a decent quality and not so fake looking. Looked at it a few months back as i am doing up my front yard with it soon.

Go have a look at some landscape yards.

I dont think its as simple as just laying it over sand....pretty sure you need a base etc?

Let us know how you go.

look @ about $100 a square metre for quality we are looking at it for our next place as i hate watering lawn lol

i only water my vegie's

Me and my dad just put some of this stuff in my backyard, we used about 12sq metres and it was about $2000 worth of lawn.

Brad is right, you don't want to use the cheap stuff, it is crap! The stuff i have isn't absolute top of the line, but it is pretty good. It looks great! The only thing i can fault it on is that when you walk on it it sounds like you're walking in a tent... Which sort of ruins the illusion. And you have to make sure you set it up so that water can drain off it because obviously water isn't going to soak in anymore. But other than that it is pretty good!

I dont think its as simple as just laying it over sand....pretty sure you need a base etc?

Definitely not as simple as that. You need to mix concrete in with the sand, we used a 7% concrete mixture. While you are mixing in the concrete you also need to wet it, otherwise it won't all set properly. We spread the concrete out over the top and then used a rotomotor machine to mix the concrete and the sand while spraying it with a hose (not an easy job). Then you need to compact the whole thing with a compactor, and that needs to be done before the concrete dries otherwise you will just smash it all and turn it back into dirt... So you need to mix the sand and concrete and then compact it all in about an hour and a half, which is actually one hell of a rush (for our size lawn anyway). Then once that has dried, you need to get some fairly course gravel and spread that over the top, making sure it is the right shape as the lawn will follow the shape of this gravel. Then you need to compact that really well as well, but this can only be done by making it wet and then walking on it as a compactor will smash the layer of concrete underneath. So you need to spend a lot of time walking on it to compact it. Once you have done all of that, then you can lay out the lawn over the top (bloody heavy stuff!!)

Edited by Hanaldo

Me and my dad just put some of this stuff in my backyard, we used about 12sq metres and it was about $2000 worth of lawn.

Brad is right, you don't want to use the cheap stuff, it is crap! The stuff i have isn't absolute top of the line, but it is pretty good. It looks great! The only thing i can fault it on is that when you walk on it it sounds like you're walking in a tent... Which sort of ruins the illusion. And you have to make sure you set it up so that water can drain off it because obviously water isn't going to soak in anymore. But other than that it is pretty good!

Definitely not as simple as that. You need to mix concrete in with the sand, we used a 7% concrete mixture. While you are mixing in the concrete you also need to wet it, otherwise it won't all set properly. We spread the concrete out over the top and then used a rotomotor machine to mix the concrete and the sand while spraying it with a hose (not an easy job). Then you need to compact the whole thing with a compactor, and that needs to be done before the concrete dries otherwise you will just smash it all and turn it back into dirt... So you need to mix the sand and concrete and then compact it all in about an hour and a half, which is actually one hell of a rush (for our size lawn anyway). Then once that has dried, you need to get some fairly course gravel and spread that over the top, making sure it is the right shape as the lawn will follow the shape of this gravel. Then you need to compact that really well as well, but this can only be done by making it wet and then walking on it as a compactor will smash the layer of concrete underneath. So you need to spend a lot of time walking on it to compact it. Once you have done all of that, then you can lay out the lawn over the top (bloody heavy stuff!!)

Pics of you completed yard??? :(

I figured there would be more to it...i have only briefly looked into the fake lawn as we wont be doing anything until end of year maybe.

Do you have pets? Im curious as to what happens when a dog or 2 spend the days pissing and shitting on it.

wow i thought youd just compact some road base and lay the turf and that the whole lot would be semi porous requiring only a slight runoff

hmm poured limestone with some shade sails and half wine barrels sounds better and better

or mabe some of that cool playground rubber stuff we had that installed on a job the other day soo cool

Pics of you completed yard??? :/

I figured there would be more to it...i have only briefly looked into the fake lawn as we wont be doing anything until end of year maybe.

Do you have pets? Im curious as to what happens when a dog or 2 spend the days pissing and shitting on it.

I'll take some pics tomorrow in the sunshine mate :P It wasn't easy to do but it definitely looks the goods thats for sure!

We don't have pets though, but i imagine you would have to clean it up... If you leave it then it may stain the lawn. But it wouldn't be hard to give it a quick high-pressure squirt with the hose, don't have to worry about digging up the lawn anymore :/

wow i thought youd just compact some road base and lay the turf and that the whole lot would be semi porous requiring only a slight runoff

You do only need a slight run off, you will see in the pictures that there isn't a great deal of slope. But it can't be porous as the base layer is concrete, the water would just collect between the concrete and the lawn and cause a whole heap of problems.

hey guys i know im in sa but i know abit about the stuff as i sell it amongst other products www.maisondesign.com could have .au cant remember. we have a product called "regal grass" its swiss made and costs roughly 120 m2 supplied and laid. the quality is amazing, has 10 year guaranteed warrenty for australian conditions and has some pretty cool features.. v shaped blads to help it stick up after being walked on, various colours lengths, optional thin curly brown thatch.. under the green as to make it look like "santa anna lawn" patented brown sand.. not white.. looks sweet. throw a couple leaves on it and it looks like the real deal.

Yeh it definitely looks very nice. As i said, the only thing i was disappointed with is when you walk on it it sounds like you are walking on a tent

i know these guys next door from work that do this artificial grass (supply + install), the first time i saw it i couldnt believe it was fake haha. you can get different types like a perfect looking groomed american green one (not cheesy/fake looking), and a sort of well maintained summer inspired one ( like little patches of faded/dead grass you would normally find) if that makes any sense, lol.

if you want i could find out they're number for you.

• 1 year later...