SAU Community

How To Prove My Intercooler Is Stock?

Hello all,

I'm currently trying to get an engineering certificate so my R33 GTR can pass the blueslip for rego.

However, the engineer assesor wants to know if my front mount intercooler is stock, otherwise I have to get an IM240 emissions test from Penrith RTA which I'm not too keen on doing.

To me it looks very stock.

All the mounting points match up perfectly.

No logos/brands can be seen anywhere.

It looks fairly old. i.e. It's discoloured dark/greyish.

No signs of modifications to fit.

I took measurements: W:60cm x H:28cm x D:7cm

However, is there anyway of proving these are the original dimentions? Looked everywhere but need solid evidence that it's original to satisfy the engineer and give the OK.

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Hello all,

I'm currently trying to get an engineering certificate so my R33 GTR can pass the blueslip for rego.

However, the engineer assesor wants to know if my front mount intercooler is stock, otherwise I have to get an IM240 emissions test from Penrith RTA which I'm not too keen on doing.

To me it looks very stock.

All the mounting points match up perfectly.

No logos/brands can be seen anywhere.

It looks fairly old. i.e. It's discoloured dark/greyish.

No signs of modifications to fit.

I took measurements: W:60cm x H:28cm x D:7cm

However, is there anyway of proving these are the original dimentions? Looked everywhere but need solid evidence that it's original to satisfy the engineer and give the OK.

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

To the best of my knowledge the R33 GTR didnt have a front mount stock, it had a side mount intercooler and I dont think it is that size either. So its probably aftermarket.

^^^ R33 GTR have stock front mount intercooler.

You can take measurments of stock FMIC and compare it. Or if you find Nissan part number (usually have U00 in the number if you know what I mean). Width and Height sounds about right, I'm not 100% on thickness though.

RTA is that pain in the arse now?

OT, Didn't you just bought this from Jamie by any chance?

Cheers

Grant

EDIT: Just checked, the thickness is 55mm so 600mm x 280mm x 55mm - this is standard FMIC.

^^^ R33 GTR have stock front mount intercooler.

You can take measurments of stock FMIC and compare it. Or if you find Nissan part number (usually have U00 in the number if you know what I mean). Width and Height sounds about right, I'm not 100% on thickness though.

RTA is that pain in the arse now?

Cheers

Grant

EDIT: Just checked, the thickness is 55mm so 600mm x 280mm x 55mm - this is standard FMIC.

Fail on my part, now I know better :kiss:

Maybe try and see if you can find a brochure or something that shows the front mount in a picture otherwise I dont really know how you can convince someone otherwise, especially considering they already seem to be convinced that its aftermarket.

Edited by FrangaR33

Fail on my part, now I know better :kiss:

Maybe try and see if you can find a brochure or something that shows the front mount in a picture otherwise I dont really know how you can convince someone otherwise, especially considering they already seem to be convinced that its aftermarket.

And I've measured it after making this post.

So standard FMIC thickness is 55mm.

Cheers

Grant

Thanks for confirming that for me. Gives me somthing to work with.

Lol and yes.. I bought it off Jamie. I knew you wanted to sell yours and buy his pretty badly. Sorry you missed out on it buddy. I guess the upside is you already had a GTR where as I didnt at all :)

Definately has a FMIC standard.

What sort of proof is he asking for?

Is telling him it is stock enough for him?

I dont think verbal confirmation is good enough. My engineer is very finicky. And overall he's being very slow with the report like its a walk on the beach. I'm just trying to get sh** moving faster so I can get my car on the road finally rather than depending on him to find out all this stuff for me. It's just killing me with my mew baby sitting in the driveway doing nothing.

Also having no ends of bad luck finding any part numbers remotely close to the FMIC.

Really, if I had a specifications manual pfd or somthing, showing him that would be good enough I'm guessing. Already looked in the engine manual... Nothing in there other than how to service the car obviously.

Thanks for all the quick replies btw.

Edited by Owens

Thanks for confirming that for me. Gives me somthing to work with.

Lol and yes.. I bought it off Jamie. I knew you wanted to sell yours and buy his pretty badly. Sorry you missed out on it buddy. I guess the upside is you already had a GTR where as I didnt at all :)

Lucky bastard.

No really, this GTR is in really good condition, good enough for me to put mine up for sale.

Well, I don't really have a GTR now - possibly broken turbo now :)

All the best with engineering certificate if all else fails, just buy standard FMIC for $150-250 and slap it on, how come you need a certificate to get it registered?

Cheers

Grant

Ask someone with Nissan FAST to look up the part number for you, and get the diagram that shows all the parts laid out with numbers etc. Print that out and wave it under your engineer's nose.

Lucky bastard.

No really, this GTR is in really good condition, good enough for me to put mine up for sale.

Well, I don't really have a GTR now - possibly broken turbo now :D

All the best with engineering certificate if all else fails, just buy standard FMIC for $150-250 and slap it on, how come you need a certificate to get it registered?

Cheers

Grant

Damn, you know I was seriously thinking of getting your car before I found Jamies. Obvious reasons aside, he seemed to have a good track record of service history, where as your's didnt mention any.

NSW laws... you need an engineering cert to go with the blueslip if you have any mods which the mechanic points out when inspecting the car.

Edited by Owens

Damn, you know I was seriously thinking of getting your car before I found Jamies. Obvious reasons aside, he seemed to have a good track record of service history, where as your's didnt mention any.

NSW laws... you need an engineering cert to go with the blueslip if you have any mods which the mechanic points out when inspecting the car.

Yeah yours have bona-fide service history which is pretty uncommon on imports. I don't have one and I only seen 2 Skylines out of numerous examples I've looked at for a while with books.

NSW laws do really suck. Here in Victoria, all you have to do is pray that the tester don't know much about EPA.

Quick and easy solution is, get standard FMIC so you don't have to do IM240 emission test - roughly a hour work swapping it.

Not really keen on spending much more money on my car since rego is gonna bite me in the ass.

Engineering Cert: ~$500

Blueslip: $80

Rego: $250

Stamp duty: ~$600

Number plates: $35

Already spent $250 on a original intake airbox to replace the air pods so I dont have to get an emissions test. That also applies to the FMIC.

Not really keen on spending much more money on my car since rego is gonna bite me in the ass.

Engineering Cert: ~$500

Blueslip: $80

Rego: $250

Stamp duty: ~$600

Number plates: $35

Already spent $250 on a original intake airbox to replace the air pods so I dont have to get an emissions test. That also applies to the FMIC.

Hehe, that is nothing compared what I'm facing...

I think I'll blow up to $4k to get it back on road (new turbos, gaskets and studs, service kit, PFC + tune while I'm at it...).

They're money pit alright!