SAU Community

R33 Gtst Vs R34 Gtst Skyline

Hi Guys I'm new to this forum. I'm planning on buy a skyline from JSA in Bell st, they have a 97 model R33 and a 99 model R34 with $4000 price difference. Out of your experience is R34 a better car to get? or I should just save that $4000 for modifications. Thanks for your inputs.

Personally, I'd go for the R34 GT-T based on it's looks and age.

But ultimately it's the condition of the car you should be wary of...

On that note, you may want to search these forums before you make a final decision on where you purchase the car from :) - there's some great and not-so-great deals out there :P

Just my 2c.

Personally, I'd go for the R34 GT-T based on it's looks and age.

But ultimately it's the condition of the car you should be wary of...

On that note, you may want to search these forums before you make a final decision on where you purchase the car from :) - there's some great and not-so-great deals out there :P

Just my 2c.

Fully agree with you dude, before you buy have a look at all the other import places available, even some of the smaller importers that list cars on car sales have some good deals and great condition cars.

Highly recommend you do some searching on the places you are looking to buy from first! You'll be suprised at how much you can find out about some shops :)

As a matter of interest, how much was the 33 you were looking at through JSA?

Its a very clean car for $15G wirh RWC registration with insurance. Its fully stock. The R34's for $19G drive away with insurance.

any difference between those 2x engines performance wise? apart from that I know that Neo engine's got a larger turbo of some sort.

From what Ive seen at JSA there cars dont look as clean as to other importers, go check out the one on hume hwy I forgot the name and also SSV on corner Huntingdale road and princess hwy and then compare what you see and go from there. Also look at the people selling on this forum.

I guarantee you can save yourself some money shopping around mate... the aforementioned dealer isn't exactly known for providing good value for money.

I saved $5k on their prices and got a much better condition R33 from a small dealer in Dandenong - 3.5 years I ago got a stock, totally mint 97 GTST Series 2 with 70k on it for $15k + on roads, they can't still be worth that much!

As for R33 or R34 I guess it's matter of personal taste - I like the series 2 R33's, I find the R34 a bit too boxy and I don't like the tail lights or front bar/indicators compared with the R33 S2. The R34 does have an uprated RB25DET with more power and refinements and a much nicer interior. When all is said and done there isn't much in it either way and it all boils down to personal taste and budget.

I know its hard but you have to think the economics with cars .

Just assuming you went with a 15G R33 the four you saved would more than make up the performance difference .

If you aim to throw a lot of money at it the purchase price is important . Also there will probably be a lot more in the range of good cheap pre loved performance parts for R33s because there are lots of them out here .

True the 34 has some mechanical updates but personally their styling turns me off .

It also may pay you to look at cars already modded because sometimes you can pick them up cheaply for whats done to them ie wheels exhausts etc .

Take your time and hold out for one in really clean condition because they are still out there .

A .

How new are you to driving? If you suddenly come to a stop thanks to a stationary object, the R34 would be much better to be in. If it's something to take to the track, you won't feel so bad ripping the front spoiler off an R33.

Skylines depreciate quick so normally cheaper via private sale.

R34 is not so much heavier, more comfy and has more of the stuff you will use in a daily drive. You can get a cheap as chips one for a lot less than $19k. The weight shouldn't be so much of an issue 'cause you get more power, quite a bit more torque and I've heard R33s are normally more than the book 1370kgs anyway. Might also be true for 34s, dunno.

Also, if you want to mod it, something brand new and shiny under the bonnet will be a lot more out of place in an R33 than 34 (coppers...).

Why not consider an R32 GTR? Can be had for similar money.