SAU Community

Has Lumley Special Vehicles Gone Mad

I used to pay $1022/yr, and suddenly today I got my renewal letter for $1894. What the hell happened? I didn't crash my car or did any major claim. I did claim for a windscreen last X'mas, which I have just paid 1/2 yearly the last time. I though water & electricity increases but does Car Insurance increases too?

I'm 33 and living in south brisbane area.

Sux to hear mate. But I think crash statistics plays a big factor in their assessment. More Vs on the road is probably resulting in more accidents. The fact that they are becoming cheaper is probably making them more accessible to younger folk as well - resulting in (statistically) more accidents. This makes the model more risky, commanding a higher premium.

Having said that, 90% increase is huge. Perhaps it pays to shop around.

If it makes you feel any better, my partners 10kw yaris costs 1300 per year to insure - 28yo female driver, no tickets, no accidents

due to the recent hail storm in perth, almost 11,000 cars got written off.

How did you think the insurance companies were going to react to that??

Edited by fcruz3r

I have my V insured through Shannons, just got my renewal and decided to get a quote from Lumleys for comparison .

I was told they have had a shift in policy and no longer insure Skyline V35's.

This is not an age thing as I am in my 50's, so I would say they are hoping you will spit it and cancel the policy.

I have my V insured through Shannons, just got my renewal and decided to get a quote from Lumleys for comparison .

I was told they have had a shift in policy and no longer insure Skyline V35's.

This is not an age thing as I am in my 50's, so I would say they are hoping you will spit it and cancel the policy.

So I guess, Lumley SPECIAL vehicle is not SPECIAL anymore.

I had the same thing with my M35 stagea. Had a 50% increase on the renewal. Rang them and they told me they were not look to insure imports any more.

Must be someone crashing their imports that makes insuring them not worth while.

Other factors can be the cost of parts for repairs. I know headlighs for the Stagea are about $2k each from Nissan.

Cheers

Andy

Confirmed.

Just called them, the guy told me they are trying to get rid of us (the imports). They now changing their company to insure cars like Shannon. Vintage.

????

Shannon's certainly do insure imports. They insure my M35 Stagea (and have done for over 3 years) for under $1k - full comp. :D

Maybe you should give them a call or Just Car

As stated above, my V35 is insured thru Shannons, $940 full comprehensive,they would have insured a Stagea for me 12 months ago for $650. I have had 2 Soarers insured with them previously also. If you ring them for a quote, they will ask you if you are a member of a car club, say yes, SAU , otherwise they wont touch you.

Cheers

justcar for me....didn't go up.....except, i added a few mods which increased car value, so it brought the premium a little...

from memory, cpst me $1200-ish...i'm 33, rating 1, west suburbs of melb.

Sorry guys, maybe you misunderstood me. I meant they are only going to insure those vintage and collectibles only, no more imports. I guess I'm going with just cars. $1050 with access of $600

I got my cover from Shannons, about $1200.

When I first rang the guy said I wasn't an enthusiast, ( started with an R31, then had an R33 and now have a V35 ), I think there is a pattern forming here!

Then I rang a second time and it was no probs., all depends on which jockey you get on the other end of the line.

Just got a quote off NRMA, $812 pa, $500 xs inc unlimited glass cover + hire car if car off road due to accident

I just did a quote with NRMA online, it cost me $1700...That's also too much I think.

NRMA insure imports now?

yepiwas with shannon aswell with the car and house and contents was a good price to start with but over the last

2yrs its gone up to much so went to nrma for the car and gio for the house as it was half the price of shannons for the same amount

Dig your toes in with NRMA , they have another " price level " with their policies which to qualify for you must have had comprehensive insurance ( any car) for an amount of years, so give it a shot and see what happens.