SAU Community

Car Won't Start, Wide Variable Of Potential Problems

Hey guys, a little back-story on this one:

R33 RB25DET Series 2 Engine.

Engine ran on 5 cylinders, it was removed.

Car was due to receive a manual conversion.

Sat without and engine for at least 9 months.

Me and a friend put the engine back in (what we assume to be correctly).

We attempted to finish the manual conversion, gearbox bolted up ect. although as of now loom wise we have only looped the inhibitor switch.

Upon turning the key the starter motor goes off and we see smoke coming out the exhaust and top of the cam cover nozzle things but the engine refuses to fire.

Things to note:

The car did run before the engine was removed.

Fuel is entering the lines onto the rail.

Coil packs work, we tested to see if the spark plugs sparked (they did).

Automatic locator (I think of is the name?) has yet to be replaced with a spigot bush, our aim isn't to make the car actually move we just want to see if the engine goes.

The well around the spark plugs and the tips of them were covered in oil, this was the case before we put the engine back in.

I am aware that could be a wide variety of things as there are many variables to what is wrong, any suggestions and tips would be great! Feel free to ask for photos of the engine bay if need be or any questions regarding the car.

Edited by Tyral

Fuel is entering the lines onto the rail.
How do you know? Are you sure you put the fuel lines back on correctly - check by removing the return line from the pressure regulator while priming the pump.

How do you know? Are you sure you put the fuel lines back on correctly - check by removing the return line from the pressure regulator while priming the pump.

A mate pulled the line off the nipple to the injectors and it pissed out with petrol, which I assume means they're indeed getting fuel since they were empty when I started it up? But I'll give that a jam too.

Car cranks, step one. Step two, before going any further, check your compression (as above) to make sure you're not wasting your time with a stuffed engine.

You said the car has spark? Take the plugs out and make sure they're not stuffed/contaminated, plus the oil in the plug tubes over time will eff the coils and make them arc out to the plug tubes, try cleaning them out and the plugs to get a good spark.

You have fuel pressure? Best to double check with a gauge to be safe. Does it try to fire on aerostart? Check for injection pulse using a noid light or low amp LED test light, and use the earth provided in the injector connector to make sure it's switching, not just powered.

If you have all these things the only options left that won't let it "run" are:

Timing (injection, ignition, or belt (which should show up on a compression test))

Computer

Possibly your air flow meter.

Insufficent cranking speed.

The afformentioned are the bare minimum the engine needs to fire.

Hope that helps. :blink: