SAU Community

N1 Oil Pump Gears

Does any one know how much thicker/bigger N1 oil pump gears are compared to standard ones, could you machine the standard

housing to take billet gears that are ment for a N1 pump, there fore the same size as N1 gears,

Thanks Luke

Yeah you can. I had a heap of these made a while back. They are very expensive to have made but for the cost of a new N1 pump, you get unbreakable gears.

It's not something that's i'd do all over again but I put one in every new engine I build. Finding wire cutters and gear profilers is frickin time consuming!!!

I would just go with a N1 Pump and a proper crank collar ! Most of the gears that break on the pumps are caused by the small area of contact from the crank to the pump gear.

^ correction - Most gears that is due to rev limiter abuse by the owner, which is a sure fire way to kill gears and ANY pump can be broken like that - even the Tomei.

Doesnt matter what crank you have in that scenario :P

^ correction - Most gears that is due to rev limiter abuse by the owner, which is a sure fire way to kill gears and ANY pump can be broken like that - even the Tomei.

Doesnt matter what crank you have in that scenario :D

I have to agree with R31Nismoid... But any limiter abuse can lead to that and many more problemes on any car. That can be taken out of the equation with some reasonable driving/shifting. From my experience and knowledge a nice N1 is good enough ! Just make sure you address the crank collar probleme if its a early model engine. As for billet gears , I know Nitto makes a oil pump for the RB but I have no idea on the performance/quality of this product.

http://www.nitto.com.au/products/oilpump-R...?vehicle=nissan

just my 2 cents :P

Doesnt matter what crank you have in that scenario :(

I really think it is down to the poor tolerance between the drive and the gears, then when you start applying on/off torque such as bouncing the limiter or heaps of pedalling, they break.

Good tolerance, good balancing and a decent harmonic balancer. (And some gears that aren't made of a sintered material).

Edited by bubba

Doesnt matter what crank you have in that scenario :)

I thought so too until I supplied 2 (two) N1 pumps to customers (from Nissan), both cars fitted with crank collars and both cracked the gear. One in less than 5000 kms, and the other in about 12,000kms.

Neither car saw over 7000rpm and had aftermarket harmonic balancers. That was good enough for me to lose faith in them completely