SAU Community

V36 Skylines (thumbs Up/thumbs Down)

Hi Guys,

What is everyones overall perception of the v36? Do we like/not like the appearance, engine, anything that anyone has heard in terms of issues (i doubt it) etc........mods i.e. torbo's, supercharges......

I bought one and took ownership about 2 months ago.........i love it!

its an 08 Sports model with a 6 speed maual, white with just over 10k on the clock. i was very impressed with the v35's as my brother and i drove one about a year ago and it went like the clappers, manual also, silver but we didnt end up buying it, wish we did.

Any comments/thoughts/others that have this model and want to discuss it in more detail/opinions i would love to hear from you.

Cheers

I test drove one of these at a nissan dealership in Japan when i was over there. quite a nice car to be in i must say. it will be in the list of cars that i'd want to upgrade to.

I am a proud owner of the v35. Haven't got the chance to drive a v36 yet but in terms of looks, i think the coupe is looking great just like the v35 n in terms of the sedan, i definitely like the v36 shape more.

Interior also looks amazing! In terms of performance, if it's an improvement to the v35, it's definitely going to be super SWEET!!! :)

seeing as you're actually asking for COMMENTS (not just a "yes / no" answer - i will be too glad to offer my thoughts on the V36!!

however i guess the saying that would apply to what i'm about to say is "don't throw if you live in a glass house" (coming from an A31 cefiro / zz30 soarer driver)

my opinoin - the old old skylines, were great for their time, but they were far surpassed by the R32.. the R32 was a landmark model for nissan, incorporating the RB series engine, HICAS, ATESSA, and all nissan's amazing high tech sports ideas rolled into ONE CAR. and this graduated onto the iconic R34 skyline.

3195355936_305f0921a2_o.jpg

but nissan fell a lot financially during the production of these cars... nissan had to do something drastic.

they created a new model skyline - the V35. while skyline purists CRINGED at it's smooth non-bothersome styling which completely destroyed the legacy that the R34 left.. there was no denying that the V35 skyline was a grown ups car. it was a new chassis platfrom, new engine, new interior. everything from the ground up was a different car to what the world was expecting.

since 2001, in my eyes the styling cues of the V35 - while provocative for it's time.. has definitely aged ungracefully. the headlights look atrocious when yellowed. the stock body can look VERY plain if left to get dirty - nine years after its debut, it's styling is no where near as iconic as the R chassis skylines..

the V36 however - is a finer refinement of the V35. they've taken the road that the V35 was walking on. and have landed it to the destination that the V35 was trying to reach.

i see the V35 as a blander - less aggressive styled FairladyZ.

the V36 however - has restored the anger that people EXPECT from a skylines styling. the headlights look more menacing, the tail lights have more "whip" to them. it's a more sinister car than it's predecessor... yet - the V36 retains the class and elegance that the V35 was heading toward... and drives THAT aspect home, too...

the REAL test for the V36, will be how people see it as the years go by - the question of will there be development and aftermarket following is sure to decide it's fate as years go by...

for that - i wish the V36 the best of luck... i personally like it.. maybe that's because i'm 24 and i'm growing up.. :)

4515376263_767c39679c_b.jpg

In terms of looks the V36 is very handsome. It's the best looking Skyline sedan (4 door version) since the R30, R31, R34.

I wish Nissan re-introduced the "stove tops" - That's what sets the Skyline apart... However I doubt this will ever happen as it will probably de-valuate the current generation R35 GTR (In Nissan's eyes)

I went from R32 --> R33 --> now V35 Coupe, Love it and would recommend to anyone. i Love how the V36 Looks, both coupe and SEDAN actually (Hate V35 Sedan)

but i am currently selling mine to get R34 GTR :mad: , but for me R34 were the last of the true Skylines.... just my 2C

I agree about the V35 being a 350Z with a boot and four seats, well it is really, 7" longer chassis and different body but everything else is the same.

However i find the V36 looks wise just a slightly restyled V35, IMO it looks too much the same, i feel it needed a more comprehensive redesigned to work, but i guess Nissan couldn't go too near the R35 looks.

Personally & performance aside, I think the 36 is more a grandads car than the 35. I may look just fine driving a 36 :D but I think the 35 is the nicer shape and is aging quite gracefully. Mine is an 03 coupe and I still get people thinking it's a new car. I certainly wouldn't say no if someone gave me a 36 tho :)

Personally & performance aside, I think the 36 is more a grandads car than the 35. I may look just fine driving a 36 :D but I think the 35 is the nicer shape and is aging quite gracefully. Mine is an 03 coupe and I still get people thinking it's a new car. I certainly wouldn't say no if someone gave me a 36 tho :)

very true. its funny how everytime people ask what year it is and when i say *03* you can see the confusion on their face. lol.

i also test drove one last week, power isnt much of a difference tbh but it is more refining...smoother?

i also test drove an evo8 mr...my good...its much more different then my previous evo7. im going to upgrade in the next month or 2...but dont know if i should keep the v35.

Love the V36 front end but can't say the same for the rear... still prefer the V35 rear end.

Agree that the V35's design still managed to trick non-car-people into thinking it's a new car. Pulled up in my v35 for the 1st time at my office and all my work mates thought it was brand new.

Yeah, a few times strangers who ask me about the V35 have been shocked when i told them it was a 2003 model. The bloke at the local milkbar, and the one at the servo, both thought it was brand new.

I think its ageing quite well. It really is a timeless shape.

To Mr Eps. Good summary. It isnt just the V35 though. None of the japanese car makers have been able to recreate the awesome lineups of the 90s. For financial reasons or otherwise. And perhaps yes the v35 was directed more towards the luxury market, because they had the new Z car takeover as the true sports model again.

Looking at the second hand market, something like 70 - 80% of V35s out there are automatic. That must tell us something about the demographic. To me the skyline now sits as the car that a family man can get away with purchasing. I wanted a zed but I've done the 2 seater thing before and it doesnt work for me. I also want an R35 but like most people I simply dont have the beans for it. You can see where the V35 and V36 fit in.

Overall I think the V36 is streets ahead in every aspect. Even though i had 2 V35's, just something about the front end never sat right with me.

Interior - well there's no comparison. i think the V36 shows up just how basic Nissan made the V35. Nissan always seem to be like 5 yrs behind the competition when it comes to interiors. It sh!ts me to tears.

The V36 has caught up a bit, but if you look at things like dials,colours etc, the V36 has what farken Hyundai had 5 yrs ago.

Still though, the V35 to me, interior wise was always a huge let down.

Exterior, the coupes, still prefer the V35's big fat ar$e. The front, V36.

Sedans, no real contest here. As much as i loved the V35 Mechanics, feel, engine etc etc, I would probably get a daewoo before i got a V35 sedan. I absolutely love the platform, but my god did the destroy what could have been a stunning sedan, with the V35.

The V36 sedan to me is up there looks wise, and maybe a bit interior wise, definitely spec wise, with anything Europe has to offer for anywhere near the price range.

Hopefully if all goes well, should start looking for one soon.

Overall I think the V36 is streets ahead in every aspect. Even though i had 2 V35's, just something about the front end never sat right with me.

Interior - well there's no comparison. i think the V36 shows up just how basic Nissan made the V35. Nissan always seem to be like 5 yrs behind the competition when it comes to interiors. It sh!ts me to tears.

The V36 has caught up a bit, but if you look at things like dials,colours etc, the V36 has what farken Hyundai had 5 yrs ago.

Still though, the V35 to me, interior wise was always a huge let down.

Exterior, the coupes, still prefer the V35's big fat ar$e. The front, V36.

Sedans, no real contest here. As much as i loved the V35 Mechanics, feel, engine etc etc, I would probably get a daewoo before i got a V35 sedan. I absolutely love the platform, but my god did the destroy what could have been a stunning sedan, with the V35.

The V36 sedan to me is up there looks wise, and maybe a bit interior wise, definitely spec wise, with anything Europe has to offer for anywhere near the price range.

Hopefully if all goes well, should start looking for one soon.

Well, here's my 2 cents worth on things, seeing there's so many of us debating on the topic here....

I have my v35 for a week+ now and personally, I just love it! And everywhere I go, I have people asking me about the car and if it's a new car or not? So in terms of design (especially the exterior), the car's design is way ahead of its time (mine is a 2004 S2 model). Including in this group of people commenting is actually someone who knows about cars as he is someone working in a car paint shop who seems to have good understanding on cars.

Interior wise, I have to say, the S2 interior with the aluminium finishing looks great and a big improvement to the S1! In terms of gadgets, I agree that the car may not have all the gadgets for a sports coupe of today (eg. cruise control, settings for suspension, paddle shift) but in terms of purely just looks, I do think it's again ahead of many cars of its age and still looks good today.

So all in all, I don't agree that the car is not aging well. In fact, it is still so beautiful that many who see the car today still looks stunned.

As for the v36, it's definitely a refinement of the v35 but in terms of exterior looks, i don't thing there's really too much difference between the 2 for the coupes to really shout about. The sedans however, I agree the v36 looks nicer. As for interior, I think the v36 packs much more new gadgets but honestly, the way the sat nav tv is set up on the centre console is not as nice as what i hope for and I probably prefer the S2 v35 looks more with the sat nav tv popping up when needed.

Just my humble opinion though.... but if someone give me a v36, I'll take it simply because of the additional gadgets I'll be getting! :)

And yes, I agree the Vs are definitely a completely different car to the old Rs and definitely serve a different market. To me, the Rs is more a boy racer car now, while the Vs seems more sophisticated. Again, just my humble opinion and I do apologise in advance if any of my comments didn't go too well with some.

Cheers!

Edited by win4ever

V36 coupe and sedan are both nice looking and modern. I'd still got the coupe. The car sorta resembles the Lexus in a way!

V35, definitely coupe only. I too get the same reaction when I tell people it's a 2003 car. Just Friday, the response was "I thought it was a bit newer than that, maybe 2007?"

my first experience with the v35 was in 2001 when i hopped into a brand new impul coupe at a malaysian dealer. i was absolutely blown away with this car. the stylin, the handling, the power. i honestly thought it was to be the next gtr. so suffice to say, i think very highly of the v35. but nine years on, it don't feel it has aged as well as the 350z. the car is starting to date in my eyes.

so there was no doubt in my mind that the v36 was the car to go for when i purchased in april. in addition, i was looking to buy a sedan, not a coupe - all the more reason to go the v36. now that i have had the car for a couple of weeks, i definitely have no regrets. the car is smooth to drive and handles very well for it size. it really is up there with the europeans in my opinion - in quality, looks and feel. then there's the power.. the v6 powerplant is magnificent. my only nit pick is probably the interior. whilst the feel is definitely of high quality, it is perhaps too simplistic and plain.

i think i could summarise the v36 (sedan anyways) with one word - civilised. the brutal gut-wrenching monster they call a skyline of yesterday is gone. left behind is a matured grown up car with manners.

Edited by SyKRyD

my first experience with the v35 was in 2001 when i hopped into a brand new impul coupe at a malaysian dealer. i was absolutely blown away with this car. the stylin, the handling, the power. i honestly thought it was to be the next gtr. so suffice to say, i think very highly of the v35. but nine years on, it don't feel it has aged as well as the 350z. the car is starting to date in my eyes.

so there was no doubt in my mind that the v36 was the car to go for when i purchased in april. in addition, i was looking to buy a sedan, not a coupe - all the more reason to go the v36. now that i have had the car for a couple of weeks, i definitely have no regrets. the car is smooth to drive and handles very well for it size. it really is up there with the europeans in my opinion - in quality, looks and feel. then there's the power.. the v6 powerplant is magnificent. my only nit pick is probably the interior. whilst the feel is definitely of high quality, it is perhaps too simplistic and plain.

i think i could summarise the v36 (sedan anyways) with one word - civilised. the brutal gut-wrenching monster they call a skyline of yesterday is gone. left behind is a matured grown up car with manners.

I think the one you saw back in 2001 was a sedan as the coupe wasn't out until 2003.

I think the one you saw back in 2001 was a sedan as the coupe wasn't out until 2003.

i definitely went out in a coupe (very squashy), but it could have been 2003. i was in malaysia in 2001, 03, 05, 06 etc... it was one of those years.

i definitely went out in a coupe (very squashy), but it could have been 2003. i was in malaysia in 2001, 03, 05, 06 etc... it was one of those years.

I agree that if comparing the v35 and v36 purely on its sedan form, I do agree that the new v36 looks different from the v35. I don't mean the v35 is not nice, but yes, the v36 does looks better. And as mentioned earlier, the additional goodies they had added to the car makes the v36 a better choice.

However, from just a pure styling perspective for the coupe, i don't think there's too much difference between the v35 and v36 especially in terms of exterior looks and i think the v35 has aged pretty well with so many ppl today still saying it's a nce car and thinking it's brand new. Interior wise, it's still looking very modern for me except that it will do better with more goodies loaded into it! :)