SAU Community

Install Cam Gears in R33 GTR w/out dyno

Penfold

Just wondering about people experience with install HKS (or whatever) cam gears. Unfortunatley, because I live in Bundy and dont have easy access to a dyno I was after some approximate settings. Obvisouly I was planning on dialing up the +1 intake & -3or-4 on exhaust but I was wondering how far I should retard the overall timing. Initally car was detonating slightly when i was running vortex etc (no 98 available) so I retarded it but now running on BP Ultimate so I was gonna bump it up again - but thought i would throw in some cam gears. But wanted approximate settings because I would be road tuning it. ECU is chipped & has 3" turbo back exhaust, CAI & Pods (just changed plugs).

Any advice would be great particulalry someone with an rb26 who has done similar.

Cheers,

Penfold

• 4 weeks later...
Anyway, I'm getting my timing belt changed so I was wondering even if i dont get any adjustments would it be worth it to just put them in when I get the timing belt changed (+ill get em to up the timing a bit).

Cheers,

Penfold

Put them on now and leave at zero for both, settings differ on cars depending on the mods, i.e. I have +3 In & -5 Ex. You really need an expert to set them. If not done properly you could rob yourself of power.

Hi Penfold, camshaft timing and ignition timing are totally independent. We find +1 on the inlet and - 4 on the exhaust to be a good place to start. This makes no difference to where we set the ignition timing, we do that according to knock level by rotating the CAS.

My personal philosophy is to run as much ignition advance as I can and use a bit of extra fuel to control the knock. If you do it the other way around (lean out the fuel and retard the ignition to control knock) you may end up with a few more horsepower but the engine will be doughy and lacking in response.

Hope that helps

You really need an expert to set them.  If not done properly you could rob yourself of power.

Definately make sure you have someone who knows what their doing. I had this misfortune of dealing with a "so called" pro in melbourne, who stuffed it up a beauty virtually lost all power past 6,000rpm. Ended up taking it to ICE, & now she feels like a real gtr all over again.