SAU Community

Budget Gamer Pc

Bo0oSt

^ ive had no time last day or so to do price hunting...

Will be more quiet tomorrow :D

cuda is good for transcoding, and yeah you wouldn't buy a card purely cause it has physx, tbqh im surprised you haven't lashed out on a new system yet ash :P

lol... my money is tied up doing other things :(

I wanna build a nice i7/5850 setup soon though and turn my current parts into a media boxors

I had a fair share of both Nvidia & ATI GPUs (Geforce 4 Mx440, ATI 9700pro, Geforce FX 5900Ultra, ATI X850XT, Geforce GTX260+ & the ATI X1600m, Geforce 9500GSm, ATI 5870m for my laptops)

& personally I've never had any problems with neither brand... I just tend to buy which ever one had the best bang for the buck at the time (except that Geforce FX card... that was sh*t... :P)

Edited by Mayuri Krab

• 2 months later...

ive just done my upgrade and its pretty cheap if you shop around. i had mine shop made so i payed slightly more for the gear but i get the warranty on parts and labour :)

I went with an ati 5870hd 1g card (i think its one of the more faster cards on the market atm) 8gig of corsair ram(ddr3 kit), gigabyte 890xa-ud5 board, 2x1tb hdd's, asus dvd burner windows 7, 3r systems case and psu amd 6core. got away reasonably cheap at 1600 neat assembled.

^

Not too bad. You could of saved yourself around $300 if you built it yourself though :). They gave you a kinda cheap case and psu, but apart from that the other parts are good. :)

Bo0oSt, not sure if you have already made the system but I have 2 similar systems, one running 965BE, M4a89GTDpro gtx260 (216core) 8gb Ripjaws ddr3 1333 ram and the other a 955BE,M3n-h/hdmi, 5770, 4gb 1066 Hyper x Ram ddr2. I also only play SC2 at 1080p and they both handle ultra settings with 4v4 online all teams fighting with or close to max units no problem at all. The system you mentioned is about as good as your gonna get for $900 mark.

My gtx260 wouldnt run off my old crappy 450w Shaw psu that came with my old case. So I put in an overkill 850w Thermaltake Toughpower and that does the job :)

You could pick up a Thermaltake v9 case for around $97 at MSY which comes with a 450W thermaltake psu which will power a 5770 and 955 + ram easily. It also has a 230mm top fan and front and back 120mm fans so cooling is good to.

This will bring the price down to about $770 (i think?) If you go the 5770 and v9 case. I havnt checked how the newer cards perform. But you could take a quick look at the 1G 460 vs 5850 if you still wanted to spend $240 on a graphics card. Just make sure you check power consumption, im not sure how much these cards require to run.

Edited by S4LVA

• 1 year later...

Hopefully this is the right thread to post in. Thinking of creating a budget PC About a Grand or just over. Using a Asus p8z77pro motherboard, I7 2600K processor, 120 OCZ SSD hard drive, Reuse Tower,PSU and DVD Drive , Vengeance 8 gig of ram ( 2*4) and 560 2 gig GPU What do you all think? I read about AMD Bulldozer chips but they dont seem to work as well as the 2600K

AMD suck, don't even consider AMD anymore.

What will you be using it for? Gaming? If so, save a few bucks and get an i5 2500K or 3750K if you want an Ivy. i5s OC better than the i7s. The only thing an i7 has is hyperthreading and that's more a hindrance than benefit for gaming.

For a gorilla I'd do this:

i5 2500K - $229

Asus P8Z77-V - $205

Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - $128

G Skill RAM - 8Gb - $58

XFX Radeon 6950HD 2Gb - $275

That's $895 going by Centrecom prices. How many watts is your current PSU?

kind of want to do gaming as well as rendering and or anything else i feel like thats why i though of the I7 I thought the I5 was only good for the 13xx ram while the I7 was good for 16xx ram etc

Most Sandys will run at 1600mhz. Official supported speed on an i5 is 1333 but as long as your bios lets you change your RAM speed settings, you can go to 1600mhz. i7s won't go any faster than 1600.

And in reality, I'd be surprised if you saw a difference in performance between the two anyway.

The hyperthreading might help a fraction with rendering, but that will be largely offset by the i5s OC ability.

Most Sandys will run at 1600mhz. Official supported speed on an i5 is 1333 but as long as your bios lets you change your RAM speed settings, you can go to 1600mhz. i7s won't go any faster than 1600.

And in reality, I'd be surprised if you saw a difference in performance between the two anyway.

The hyperthreading might help a fraction with rendering, but that will be largely offset by the i5s OC ability.

Nah, Sandy Bridge supports up to 2133mhz ram.

Ivy Bridge can go up to 2666 I'm pretty sure.

So whats the best? core/ ram specification

i5 2500K and 1600mhz RAM.

SFSC is correct, Sandys can go faster (I thought 1600 was the fastest) but in reality I doubt you'd notice a difference between 1333mhz RAM and 2166mhz RAM.

I like Corsair RAM, but G Skill is good and a bit cheaper. 8Gb is a nice amount. 16Gb is way overkill, 4Gb is adequate but might be pushed especially when doing graphic stuff.

Yep, Z77 is just a 'type' of motherboard.. it's the best one for Ivy Bridge because it has a few new features (Z68 was the best Sandy Bridge platform). A Z77 board will run all socket 1155 processors (i3,i5,i7,Celeron etc). If you want an Ivy Bridge i5, then the 3570/3570K is the best one.

Well i decided to keep my motherboard and chipset ( asus p5kpl-vm, Q9550 cpu, Kingston 4 gig of ram ) Bought new PSU, OCZ SSD 120 and Asus 550 1gb oc Video card. Upgraded OS to 64 Bit and WEI is 7.3 Am currently getting destroyed at MW3 but really impressed at the difference.