SAU Community

Rb20det Instrument Cluster

RedCef

Hi guys,

I need help here. So I got my 1994 A31 and it had a RB20DET swapped into it when I bought it. But the Instrument cluster isn`t working. RPM doesnt work at all, Speed is only displayed 20 -50 km/h less then I am actually driving, engine check light doesn``t work etc., you get the idea.

My question would be, which instrument cluster fits the RB20DET?? I read the S14 one will fit?? Any other??

Thanks! :D

i thought the s13/14/15 speedo runs a digital sensor( aka no speed cable input)

r32 speedo might work as the speed cable input is the same, but i cant say it will align or wire up the same

Edited by Dan_J

Hi guys,

I need help here. So I got my 1994 A31 and it had a RB20DET swapped into it when I bought it. But the Instrument cluster isn`t working. RPM doesnt work at all, Speed is only displayed 20 -50 km/h less then I am actually driving, engine check light doesn``t work etc., you get the idea.

My question would be, which instrument cluster fits the RB20DET?? I read the S14 one will fit?? Any other??

Thanks! :)

Sounds like a poor wiring job. There is a connector near the ECU that joins the engine loom to the dash loom for things like RPM, engine warning lights etc. If that plug is not wired correctly then you would get these problems.

Speedo is a bit odd, try another cefiro cluster see if that fixes it.

Any cluster other than a cefiro/laurel is going to require rewiring.

If you are going to use a cluster out of an S13/14/15 you will have to install a speed sensor on your gearbox and wire it into the car for the speedometer to work. You will also have problems with the tachometer as it will be designed for a 4cylinder motor as opposed to your 6 cylinder.

Wow guys, thanks for the fast help!

Maybe I also gotta tell you guys that the original engine was an RB24...... Manual Transmission....

So I am going to check the wiring and see if I get the RPM etc. going. If the problem with the speedo persists I will go for an R32 one. Will let you know how it turned out. :D

Cheers! :P

Edited by RedCef

So guys,

We found the problem. The car used to run on an RB24, which uses analog signals to run the instrument cluster. But the engine is swapped to an RB20DET, but with the original RB24 transmission. That`s why the speedo is behaving so strange and also why the RPM isn`t working. Now I wanted to change the transmission to an RB25DET one, but drifting becomes very popular here in China. So a lot of people buy the Silvias and change the transmission to the RB25 ones so that these became really expensive here. Since I want to change to an Exedy sports clutch and these are not made for the RB24 I am going to swap an RB25DET in and get an R33 cluster... Gonna rip a bigger hole in my wallet than originally planned, but f..k it! RB25DET POWER!

Anyway, thanks for all the input! This site is really helpful!!!!

ok , if the rb24 speedo is still running off the rb24 gearbox there shouldn't be an issue , i would be inclined to say your speedo cable is broken (which is quite common if it's the same as rb20) . rb20 cefiro uses a r32 speedo cable , it has a little plastic end glued(?) onto the cable , simple fix is to pull your cluster out and glue the end back into the cable (there is a thread somewhere on sau , but i think it was for r32 which is the same). as for the wiring , i'd advise you speak to an importer to see if they have a half cut you can get the complete under dash loom from :action-smiley-069: (or order a rb25det a31 half cut if your after a rb25 and gearbox)

Yeah, I guess the speedo cable is broken. The tuning shop checked the wiring, but the RPM still isn`t working. But like I said, I am going for an RB25DET and change to a fitting cluster. That should solve the problem. Just out of curiosity, for how much does an used RB25DET goes in Australia??