SAU Community

My Aids A31

VRdrift

Damn , that was quick , got new wheels for it yet??

yep, I spent 1 day stripping it 3 days of panel work/prime, and 1 day to paint, I have gtst wheels to go on when the 5 studs done but im in no rush at the mo, other bills GRRR

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Good thread mate, love ya work.

Its nice seeing some progress happen... But 4 days for a repray, thats insane!! Im a spray painter so i can appreciate ya what your've done there.

Did you paint it, or someone from ya work?? How did they/you go about painting it? Doors in/out and bars in one hit then car with boot an bonnet on in another session?? Im planning to respray mine soon so i wouldnt mind hearing more about how ya did yours just for idea's.. Im thinking of doin mine in a subaru colour, silky white three layer pearl.

Awesome stuff man, more photo's of the finished product would be awesome...

cheers guys, I'll put a whole lot of pics up next week when im back in town,

to break down the respray, i did it over a week, but on 5 of those days, (12 hour days) my bad, I told a fib. I already stripped and repaired the boot lid roof and bonnet a few months earlier, but yea 1 full day to strip it down, ( all panels off, complete strip bar the engine bay) 1 whole ffffn day to fix the passengers side sill it was roooooted, the next day was just fixing scattered dents and wobbles and sanding off old crappy dodgy acrylic paint, and I got the painter at work to prime it that night, left it for a day then spent 1 day blocking and prepping it. then a day of painting, (same painter) 3 times in the booth, car and front guards first round, in and out. Doors next, in and out, then the bars bonnet and boot last.

If time wasnt a factor I would have left the primer to cure better, cause it has shrunk back a bit, not that anyone notices, its lookin schmik

For you Even Flow,

I used

PPG 1 shot epoxy etch,

HS primer << not real keen on it, but can't argue with FREE!

PPG DG liquid Audi white

I thought about pearl, but I just wanted simple and easy to touch up,

cheers guys, I'll put a whole lot of pics up next week when im back in town,

to break down the respray, i did it over a week, but on 5 of those days, (12 hour days) my bad, I told a fib. I already stripped and repaired the boot lid roof and bonnet a few months earlier, but yea 1 full day to strip it down, ( all panels off, complete strip bar the engine bay) 1 whole ffffn day to fix the passengers side sill it was roooooted, the next day was just fixing scattered dents and wobbles and sanding off old crappy dodgy acrylic paint, and I got the painter at work to prime it that night, left it for a day then spent 1 day blocking and prepping it. then a day of painting, (same painter) 3 times in the booth, car and front guards first round, in and out. Doors next, in and out, then the bars bonnet and boot last.

If time wasnt a factor I would have left the primer to cure better, cause it has shrunk back a bit, not that anyone notices, its lookin schmik

For you Even Flow,

I used

PPG 1 shot epoxy etch,

HS primer << not real keen on it, but can't argue with FREE!

PPG DG liquid Audi white

I thought about pearl, but I just wanted simple and easy to touch up,

Awesome dude, yeah the more times you can go in the booth with the least amount of parts the easier it is and the nicer the job i reckon. Epoxy etch is some good shit and HS primer is ok, i'm personally not a fan of PPG's primers, they seem to have less filling power and body to them, i use lesonol at work and that seems to need one or two less coats...You also saved cash using a DG 2pac paint, the three layer plus clear is gonna kill my wallet!!

Three layers can be hard when repairing them, to get a good match. But the advantage of me painting the car is i will remember how i painted it (how many coats of the top layer) so it shouldn't be a problem if i do have a whoop-see down the track.

Don't worry about the shrink back, a good ol' cut n polish will fix that if it bothers ya. But like you said, most people cant tell anyway! haha

Keen for pics, cant wait.

• 2 weeks later...

sweet, yea I know pearls can be an absolute bastard, but hell pearl white, its made for cefs

I'm getting slack havent taken any pics yet I will try this weekend, only update I have is a new steering wheel i got in NZ last weekend

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey mate, quick question. When you did your respray did you have to replace the rear window rubber that gets euro'd in around the edge...?? The rubber that the trim clips into that surrounds the rear window?? i need to track a brand new one down and need abit of help. Hope you can point me in the right direction...

Cheers Jared

• 2 weeks later...

The respray was only partial, mostly just the bonnet, bumpers and door, so not sure about the window rubber sorry.

Pretty sure I saw you on Military Road at Grange around 10:30 last night?

Yeah i was around that way about that time, went for a cruise with my mate in his jzx100... i also saw you thurs turning on to trimmer off fredrick prob round 1.30pm. Was sitting in traffic spewing, just wanted to get home after having a bloody wisdom tooth pulled.. :mad::down::miner::rant::D :D

I was going to get the rear window removed, but I found out I couldnt get that rubber easily, I could have through a glazier in NZ and ex japan, when avalible, but that was going to be a 4-6week wait.

so thats the only bit I had to mask up

I was going to get the rear window removed, but I found out I couldnt get that rubber easily, I could have through a glazier in NZ and ex japan, when avalible, but that was going to be a 4-6week wait.

so thats the only bit I had to mask up

Wow. devo...

I'll have to start making some calls and see what i can find, cause i need one!

Cheers mate

• 4 months later...