SAU Community

Hid Legality

Hey everyone

just wanted to get some opinions about whether i should run 8000k or 6000k hids. from what i can tell, alot of canberra drivers seem to be running 8000k.

So does that mean cops in canberra aren't very strict about the whole 4000k (as far as i'm aware) limit?

While HID's are most definitely NOT legal unless factory fitted, most people don't have dramas...except from other motorists who will want to throw a brick through your windshield when you blind them when its pissing down with rain on a narrow back road.

lol ^

yeah what he said, it's very rare you'll have issues with minor modifications like this as long as you don't draw attention to yourself. Piss a cop off and expect him to throw the book at you. Don't do anything stupid and be polite if you get police attention, and you'll get away with a lot of things.

I always like to point out that I got around for quite some time with no front number plate. like 8 months. also all my windows had 5% tint (could NOT see inside at any time). ALSO had the HID's. the ONLY time I got any attention at all, was when I dropped a friend off for her formal. Vehicle inspectors in the carpark just after dropoff asked why I had no front plate and let me off with a verbal warning.

I can also say now that the other week I was pulled up for doing "a bit more" than 90 in an 80 zone. Was very polite and honest with the officer, he let me off. didn't even get "I'm going to give you a warning" or anything, just told me to be safe and slow down. Attitude goes a long way, as well as respect. Don't be a douchebag and respect police officers, and you shouldn't ever have any issues. I'm yet to cop anything for my car's appearance etc :)

make sure they dont flicker as that draws interest from those we dont mention. also dont go to crazy with the high temps as the closer you get to blue and purple the less affective they're and the more obvious the modification looks

the ONLY time I got any attention at all, was when I dropped a friend off for her formal. Vehicle inspectors in the carpark just after dropoff asked why I had no front plate and let me off with a verbal warning.

Hmmmm I wonder if I did a formal drop off with no bonnet on the car whether I could get off with a verbal warning given it is for the formal...I SOO want to do it!

What's the legalities on driving with no bonnet for a short distance anyway? lol

EDIT: Lol at this thread on the subject http://forums.eurocca.net/showthread.php/1...th-out-a-bonnet

Edited by PM-R33

I think I heard from someone that even carbon bonnets aren't legal as they haven't been "safety tested" etc...but it could have been something else.

Phil, don't kid yourself. What ISN'T illegal these days? oh wait, you're from QLD...nevermind, do whatever you like - just don't forget the modplate :thumbsup:

yeah carbon bits on the car are illegal cause apparntly when broken, it doesn't crimple like normal metal but instead breaks into shards which are sharp and could potential puncture and do more damage to people.

sounds nasty.

Phil, don't kid yourself. What ISN'T illegal these days? oh wait, you're from QLD...nevermind, do whatever you like - just don't forget the modplate :D

Bahahahahaha! So true.

I might give it a go though. I have a mates house just around the corner from the formal that I could take the bonnet off (would take 5 minutes), do like a 10km/h drive down three back streets and about 50m of the main road to the formal drop off and then quickly go back and put it back on....

If your passenger doesn't mind turning up after most other people, perhaps do a quick swing by the formal in another vehicle to see how harsh the inspectors/police are being towards other obviously retarded cars passing through - give yourself an idea of whether you're gonna be raped or not :D