SAU Community

V35 Maintenance

Hi i'm relatively new to all this.

I've recently had a lot of interest in a manual 2003 V35 with about 94,000 kms on the dash.

A few people told me when it reaches 100k's it's going to need a timing belt change that's going to cost around 1000,

and some kind of special transmission oil that must be imported from japan, costing another 1000.

They have also told me that the seals on this car are extremely bad, and need constant refitting as they leak profusely.

Does anybody know anything about this, or the general maintenance costs of owning one of these?

Any input would be extremlyyyy helpful.

Cheers

• Like 1

yup the timing belt should be changed at 100k. luckily for you the V35 doesnt have one, so you dont need to worry about it.

the transmission is easy, locally purchased fluid is fairly cheap.

its a car, just because its an import doesnt make it more expensive. however a lot of people that know nothing about them are scared and think imports are bad.

the V35 is a beautiful car, the engine is fantastic. Buy one in good condition, look after it and youll be fine.

I've recently had a lot of interest in a manual 2003 V35 with about 94,000 kms on the dash.

A few people told me when it reaches 100k's it's going to need a timing belt change that's going to cost around 1000,

and some kind of special transmission oil that must be imported from japan, costing another 1000.

They have also told me that the seals on this car are extremely bad, and need constant refitting as they leak profusely.

Does anybody know anything about this, or the general maintenance costs of owning one of these?

Cheers

VQ35DE uses a timing chain, whoever told you its a belt needs to lay off the grass.

Manual can just use any good brand of oil, its the 8 speed auto CVT in the 4 door that needs the special $1000 oil

Seals? the only thing which is a known issue seal wise with the VQ35DE is from memory oil can leak around the spark plug on the left bank, I think some sort of gasket/seal needs to get replaced. Don’t think this is too much of a major job just an inconvenience you may discover when changing the spark plugs

Cheers

$2k for 100,000km's service?? I would rather have a M3 for that price.

I am doing my 90,000km's service tomorrow and going to ask what are the things and how much for them on a coupe for 100,000km's.

Will post up how much it cost me tomorrow.

Try not to get a 2003 model =S, they are prone to electrical problems such as windows failing and the radio/cd player screwing up. But then again u said it has 94,000km done so if it was going to have problems it would have happened by now or the previous owner has fixed them.

Seals? the only thing which is a known issue seal wise with the VQ35DE is from memory oil can leak around the spark plug on the left bank, I think some sort of gasket/seal needs to get replaced. Don’t think this is too much of a major job just an inconvenience you may discover when changing the spark plugs

Hi, related to the orginal post of maintenance, I was just told by my mech yesterday that my seals are leaking, oil leaking lower gasket and spark plugs oil seal leaking etc .. and i have to get a complete pair of the rocker covers to fix it??

Could you guys who have experienced/ fixed this leaking spark plug seal leaking problem before tell me more about it and what part numbers are the needed to fix a 350gt8 (VQ35DE)?

Thanks

excellent! .. Thanks!

.. and wowcool .. the V series are great cars to own and drive, the GT8's CVT is the smoothest silk .. but just as you'll get extra attention on the road, you'll need to give it extra attention (ie research) when getting parts for it (unless you're happy to pay extra through nissan australia).

forums like this one is your source of help,

members like 180 wanabe makes a difference :thumbsup:

Just serviced my V today for 90,000km. $240 with fully synthetic oil, plus $230 for one tyre because of a crack (fitted and balanced).

Edited by Victor.T

Hey Vic

Wat type of oil u using?? and where did u get it service at??

Hey Aaron,

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and serviced at Fabcar.

I got my V from there and Nick, who works there, is a really good guy and takes good care of my V. He also drives a V35 coupe so he knows abit about the car too. :)

Edited by Victor.T

Mobil 1 is really good - used it a couple of times and produced some good results.

Aaron, if you want a discussion on oils - check this out:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Oi...-s-t320188.html

pretty much all types of oils for your V discussed on that thread.

^+1 for the info.

To be honest, I don't know all the detail differences of the oil brands and their specifications. I just said I want the best they can offer, so I went with Mobil 1 from the start.

Edited by Victor.T

hi thanks again 180 wanabe, will those US G35 covers fit same as our JDM VQs?

... mmm those ss headers looks tempting :)

as for engine oil, i've tried mobil 1, royal purple and redline in the VQs ... i'm never touching mobil 1 ever again!

Edited by nissan rules