SAU Community

Installing A Pc In V35

Hi guys.

Has anyone installed a PC in a V35?

I'm thinking about it at the moment.

There are two options.

OPTION 1

Buy a PC Tablet. Find a way to mount it so it does not look bad. They can be powered by a car charger which can run behind the centre console. For good sound output I can run an AUX cable (again behind the centre console) to avoid cable visibility.

Many PC tablets have a GPS built in which is a bonus. This tablet can be removed easily to avoid break-ins.

OPTION 2

Take a small laptop. Take it apart. Mount the screen so it looks professional. Extend the cables and put the keyboard in a sliding mount above the glove box where the GPS DVD reader currently sits.

Preferably buy an aftermarket touch-screen for easy use.

This will require more work. It also will need a V converter to create a steady electricity flow. (Car battery is not very good at this).

This will mean better PC, more storage, being able to play DVD.

To run GPS I will need to purchase some additional bits. Not too expensive though. Between $150-$250. Since I all ready have a laptop I can use.

Has anyone done something like this? Anything to consider before i start playing with it?

I want to keep the centre console as it is

Sounds like something no one has done in Australia. Go over the g35 forums and im sure some nut case in the USA has riced his vehicle out so much that it has 3 computers (1 dedicated to playing re-runs of The Fast and the Furious) and even a vending machine inside their car.

Edited by jawrgy

Hi guys.

Has anyone installed a PC in a V35?

I'm thinking about it at the moment.

There are two options.

OPTION 1

Buy a PC Tablet. Find a way to mount it so it does not look bad. They can be powered by a car charger which can run behind the centre console. For good sound output I can run an AUX cable (again behind the centre console) to avoid cable visibility.

Many PC tablets have a GPS built in which is a bonus. This tablet can be removed easily to avoid break-ins.

OPTION 2

Take a small laptop. Take it apart. Mount the screen so it looks professional. Extend the cables and put the keyboard in a sliding mount above the glove box where the GPS DVD reader currently sits.

Preferably buy an aftermarket touch-screen for easy use.

This will require more work. It also will need a V converter to create a steady electricity flow. (Car battery is not very good at this).

This will mean better PC, more storage, being able to play DVD.

To run GPS I will need to purchase some additional bits. Not too expensive though. Between $150-$250. Since I all ready have a laptop I can use.

Has anyone done something like this? Anything to consider before i start playing with it?

I want to keep the centre console as it is

Try searching 'carputer' - there are quite a few discussions which you may find useful.

This is a really good one:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ca...amp;hl=carputer

And then there's the other 'general' discussions on 'em:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ad...amp;hl=carputer

Good luck

Sounds like something no one has done in Australia. Go over the g35 forums and im sure some nut case in the USA has riced his vehicle out so much that it has 3 computers (1 dedicated to playing re-runs of The Fast and the Furious) and even a vending machine inside their car.

He he, funny.

Try searching 'carputer' - there are quite a few discussions which you may find useful.

This is a really good one:

And then there's the other 'general' discussions on 'em:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ad...amp;hl=carputer

Good luck

thanx for the links.

I have a plan in mind, just the whole wiring process, taking bits apart and putting them back together... well.. i will need to find someone to do it. Just not enough hours in the day.

Will start purchasing bits and peaces and see where it goes from there.

thanx for the links.

I have a plan in mind, just the whole wiring process, taking bits apart and putting them back together... well.. i will need to find someone to do it. Just not enough hours in the day.

Will start purchasing bits and peaces and see where it goes from there.

If u looking for sum1 to do it . Go to Autotainment in Burswood ask for Brian Wallis. Hes done heaps of these cars. installs dvd sat nav and evrything. Did mine and a lot of oder v owners.

Thanx, i will see him soon.

If you dont mind I have few questions.

1. did you buy the dvd + Gps from him or did he just install it.

2. How much did it cost roughly?

just wondering so i know what to expect.

If you guys thik he is good, you can leave him e erview here:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/place?rls=c...092508294404230

Reviews will help his Search Engine Visibility, which means more people will find him easier when they look for his service.

Thanx for the help

Edited by 350gt2003

I think he charges around $2500 for everything which includes dvd player sat nav and australian t.v. I jus did the dvd player which i bought from him. Charged me 800 wid installation . Puts a new system but outputs thru the factory screen.

I don't have a V35 but I've put carpc's in my 32 and my Stagea.

I use the VoomPC barebones setup from mini-box.com, chuck a locally sourced stick of ram, hdd and dvd drive in there and run 7" non-motorised in dash touchscreen (removed it from the 32 while it's off the road and put it in the wagon), when the 32 is back on the road I'll most likely get one of those USB touchscreens that are available now.

Well, i did mine about 6 months ago and it's still running sweeet.

Here's my post on that.

G33k helped with idea of using a fabricated frame for the screen, which is the most fidgety part to do :D

I can vouch for Brian too since he installed my DVD deck, but $2500? Really?

Just do your research and buy the ingredients yourself. You'll be amazed of the savings :D

or one of my mates has an ipad installed in her car

looks pretty mad

thank you all for the input.

Ripstah - This was a option i considered. Was thinking to put in one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/7-Windows-CE-5-WiFi...=item45f58f3f20

If i do, i just need to find someone to create a good mount, connect to current stock V35 system (maybe AUX) and runn the power to it.

Thats all i would need for now.

hmmm...

o.O nice and cheap!

are you looking to keep your OEM screen and keep all the features ?

BTW. please let me know how you go, ive been looking around to getting a double din installed and so far best quote ive gotten is $1600. but without the OEM screen and features.

o.O nice and cheap!

are you looking to keep your OEM screen and keep all the features ?

BTW. please let me know how you go, ive been looking around to getting a double din installed and so far best quote ive gotten is $1600. but without the OEM screen and features.

hi,

see first i thought of something ike this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/7-Dash-Car-CD-DVD-P...=item4aa07e6f2d

then I saw the google android software run tablet> which can do everything i need.. Play music, video, gps + all the google apps you can install that i would like in the car. I use google and google apps for everyday work and research, so this would be perfect.

I really want to keep the stock look as mine is still working. if it ever dies i can always change it.

However i didnt want to pay another 300-450 for a new dash interface: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2003-2004-INFINITI-...=item53d99eacce

so if i buy a PC tablet, migt not be the one i used s example previously, can be more expensive version. All i would need is to wire a headphone jack to the current CD player (using heaphone to AUX cable).

Then run the car charger behind the dash for better look.

Then all i will need to do find a spot to put the PC in.

There is a cool iPad mount you can buy. cant find it now but similar to this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CAR-Stander-CRADLE-...=item588a7d45cb

This way i can connect it easily and take it out when i leave the car overnight.

Will need to confirm if this is doable from electricians point of view. It should be if we use a simple car charger, but better to check.

Will search for a decent pc tablet and will buy it... then ill take it from there.

Edited by 350gt2003