SAU Community

Rb 240z

Nothing a tune can't fix, my R33 did the same thing with an rb20 ecu fitted, there is quite a lot of timing pulled in the stock map when the temp is really cold.

No worries. I will just warm it right up before I drive it until I can get an aftermarket ecu. I want to upgrade the turbo and injectors at the same time to bump it up to just over 200rwkw.

Any way here's a few more pics

DC8728E2-8B3A-4AD1-AF16-55E2CAC9FC0C-103

IMG_2737_zpsba222a6a.jpg

IMG_0357_zpsb5a0ea07.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

Edited by skidmark

• 3 weeks later...

How's the rear end holding up under that power? I wanna start a project 240z but I'm afraid that the rear diff won't be able to handle the power. Yours is upgraded or stock?

The stock rear end of a 240z will handle more power than an rb20det can produce. This chassis comes with either a r180. Or a r200 long nose diff very similar to the r32/33/34 skyline. I ran the stick diff for a while but it was only a open 1 wheeler. I now run a dr30 skyline r200lsd which is a direct bolt in.

As far as people saying the rb20det is to small, dont forget this car only ways 1000kgI am still on stock turbo ecu and injectors and this thing has far mor power than I could ever use on public roads. I just love the way it revs so smooth and it sounds awesome.

I will be upgrading to nistune, bigger turbo and injectors in the future but when I do it will see more time on the track than the road

I have enterd a hill climb event I. September so I will add some in cab YouTube fottage from my run's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I took my car to collingrove hill climbs a few weeks ago

I think I have a new passion. My first run was around 44 seconds.

I managed to get down to a 41 second pass on cheep Chinese street tires

Her is a video of my last run. It was only a 43 second pass because I fell of the track Half way up.

Check it out.

I agree the car looks great, very neat engine install. Lots of 240/280Z here in the states, but I don't see many that are as nice as this one.

I bought a wrecked 240z in 1982, been rolled over and the roof was smashed, so I built a convertible - my first custom car. It was mechanically stock- wish I had the RB20 back in those days. I really like my RB20DET in my RX-7 and I agree the 20 has plenty of power for street driving.

post-115519-0-21326400-1382002685_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have decided that I am going to replace the rb20 with a rb25.

I came across the first issue with the conversion.

My custom engine mounts from the rb20 won't work because they fowl on a pipe which

I not sure what is because my rb20 never had it.

What is this pipe and is it important. It goes from the head and in to the block

null_zps340b8cd3.jpg

that pipe is an external oil drain from the head, due to the additional oil from the VCT system on the 25. you'll need to find a way to keep that, or T it into the oil drain from the turbo

• 9 months later...

So it's been a while.

I have the rb25det up and running in my 240z. I have already had it out for a track day

I seriously didn't think there was going to be so much of a difference over the rb20

But the extra torque makes this thing a complete animal.

There is still a lot of room for improvement but it's getting to where I want it

Before I do any more power upgrades I will be adding coil overs and adjustable control arms.

Any way here are some up to date pics.

null_zps1075c43e.jpg

null_zpsd813eb3c.jpg

null_zps38f399d0.jpg

• Like 1