SAU Community

Crashed My R32 Into The Gutter. Tyre Arm Area Is All Bent

cosmokram3r

Okay the guy came back to me and said I need the following:

rear lower control arm

kyb rear strut (shocker inbuilt)

new 19" rim

both rear 19" tyres need replacing.

I have someone in mind for the control arm, but he said i need a new rear strut or 2 of them that are the same, they said the existing one I have is KYB and it has the shocker inbuilt, does anyone know how hard it will be to find this part? Are these the standard struts that come with the car or afternmarket parts? I want a cheap second hand one.

As for the tyre's I tried to find 19" 235 re-treads a few months ago but couldn't find places with them, does anyone know where I could find some?

Edited by cosmokram3r
  • Like 1

As for the tyre's I tried to find 19" 235 re-treads a few months ago but couldn't find places with them, does anyone know where I could find some?

I was going to offer useful advice until I read this. Seriously, who puts retreads on a car they care about?! Do not scrimp on tyres, that's what put you in this situation in the first place :domokun:

I was going to offer useful advice until I read this. Seriously, who puts retreads on a car they care about?! Do not scrimp on tyres, that's what put you in this situation in the first place :domokun:

You dont know my money situation do you mate? Plan was to use retreads temporarily to get the car on the road until I can afford to buy new tyres which I then will.

So what useful advise did you have then??

No you're right, I don't know your financial situation. But doing things twice instead of right the first time couldn't exactly help that.

KYB shocks are aftermarket. Get the part number off them so you can at least price up a new one/two.

I dont understand, do I need KYB rear struts or KYB shocks? Or are they the same thing just named different?

If I get the part number, where do I search? Didnt get much results for KYB shocks in the parts of sale forum area =\

Also.. how am I gonna find another rim to replace the one thats stuffed? I bought them off a mate I'd have no clue where to start looking.

Edited by cosmokram3r

Shocks and struts are the same thing. And Autobarn sell KYB. The part number will be printed somewhere on the shock.

Was hoping to try and find a second hand KYB shock but I understand that may be a bit difficult to find. I'll ask HPF for the part number but then again if I'm gonna pay full price might as well get them to source it. They said both have to be the same so long as they sell them I can get 1 instead of having to buy a pair.

hey mate we got a special set of KYB struts in the other day at pedders moorabbin as we were trying to match them to infinity struts we have either front or back atm but my boss could get the other 2 in. ring nick after 8am. 03 9555 5044 what he means is the shock it self is like a sleeve it slips down inside the strut and is held there by a locking nut. so when your shocks f**k out you only have to get another shock insert not a whole new strut which your wheel bolts to.

Thanks RDirty24door I called Nick and he said they were a special kind, and it would be almost $500 for the pair and they dont sell it in singles. Alot more then I wanted to pay lol I'll try and source a cheaper one, HPF said they could find a replacement for around the $200 mark so I'll give them a ring again and see if they can get onto that for me.

Thanks KamikazeNinja34 but I'm just gonna let HPF source me a pair for $300 as they said they close up shop on Thursday until Jan 10th, which I had no idea about!

Really cant be without a car for that long, so I told them to go ahead and grab:

rear lower control arm $180 (could've bought it on SAU for $90 but didnt have the time)

2 x rear struts $150 each

+ labour

My tyre isnt flat but my rim is pretty scratched, but he says at least the car should at least be mobile!

Gotta price up 2 new 19" 235 tyres now and I've emailed 3 places who sell rim's with the photo of my car to see if they can identify the rim and let me know a replacement cost for 1 so we'll see how that goes, is there any good places I should know about that have a big range of rims? I emailed the tyre factory, bob jane and MotorSport wheels and tyres.

Maybe it was a bit faster I cant remember.. But dont forget bald tires so would think that would make things worse.

f**k now they've come back to me saying I'm gonna need a new rear diff k frame. Anyone know how much it would be and how hard are they to find? =(

Edited by cosmokram3r

You would be better off trying to find a rear cradle with control arms etc from a jap wrecker like just cap in sydney or something.

I had the same type of accident in the same car about 10-11 years ago. The guys that fixed it just ended up buying the rear end (cradle). Then you just need to make sure it is all straight and chassis isn't twisted. In my instance the front chassis arms were quite bent.

Also instead of trying to find and buy one 19" wheel, which will cost at least $250- $400 maybe try find standard gtst or even gtr wheels on the forum. Usually they come with tyres and will at least get you going again.

Anyway good luck. You might even better just parking till you can fix it and look into public transpoprt.

gtr fan: How much would a rear cradle end up costing?

Okay well very bad news, HPF have quoted me $2000 for the following parts and installation:

rear k frame

2 rear struts

lower control arm

wheel allignment

parts equal to $900

labour $900

rest is GST

And even then they may not know what else needs changing like the axel or bearings or whatever until they take it apart so if it ends up costing 3-4k then I'm pretty much f*cked!

Since they've already bought the lower control arm they're gonna chuck that on, then I'll tow it tomorrow with a tow dolly onto a car trailer and take it home while I figure out what to do with it..

Thinking of maybe selling it as is for 6-7k and just get rid of it, coz someone who's good with cars could then make it worthwhile to fix. I dont wanna spend 3-4k to fix it and then it'll be worth only 9-10k!

Yeah couldnt afford the crazy amount they wanted for full comp insurance and my dad wouldnt insure it under his name and name me an additional driver so I was forced to use 3rd party fire and theft for a while but had to pay for rego a month ago and couldnt afford to get insurance again but yeah..