SAU Community

Roll Cage And Rego

bigmikespec

SA brothers,

I have bashed out a few emails to some cage builders in SA late in the day but thought I might ask everyone here in SA as I am sure someone would know.

Is it possible to register a car in SA with a full weld in cage? I have heard mixed answers such as: no only a half cage, or, yes full cage but with removal side intrusion? At the end of the day I would like to keep it registered but I will not compromise the cage design just to do so.

Cheers,

Mike

Hey mike.

Pretty sure the only way to rego a car with a full weld in cage is by having CAMS race rally rego. Only half cages can be engineered, but still need to be made to requirments around the head area.

Hey mike.

Pretty sure the only way to rego a car with a full weld in cage is by having CAMS race rally rego. Only half cages can be engineered, but still need to be made to requirments around the head area.

thats what i have good word on

and to get registered like that you'll need a CAMS National Rally licence as well, then the car is log booked and inspected. For the inspection it has to comply with the class rules for a Dedicated Rally Car

Half cage can be rego'd but the car has to be registered as a 2 seater and you have to have 150mm of head clearance between the bars and your head at the seats full back position.

So you have to take the rear seats and seat belts out and you are supposed to make the car not returnable to a 4/5 seater. i.e. you are supposed to weld the belt mounting points but if you fill them with silicon or body filler and paint over them they won't question it.

If you have a 4 door you also have to weld the rear doors shut for it to be passed as a 2 seater, but i don't think that applies to you.

Edited by D_Stirls

^yep what they said... Half cage can be regoed, full cage nope only Rally reg/log book etc

Thanks for the replys fellas; so if that is the case going with a Rally rego. logbook etc... what are the conditions of driving them on the street? Is it only to and from events or at other specific periods?

Cheers

Half cage can be rego'd but the car has to be registered as a 2 seater and you have to have 150mm of head clearance between the bars and your head at the seats full back position.

So you have to take the rear seats and seat belts out and you are supposed to make the car not returnable to a 4/5 seater. i.e. you are supposed to weld the belt mounting points but if you fill them with silicon or body filler and paint over them they won't question it.

If you have a 4 door you also have to weld the rear doors shut for it to be passed as a 2 seater, but i don't think that applies to you.

Not necessarily welded, i registered mine as a 2 seater and put a half cage in, had to remove seats, seat belts and put the bolts back in to the seat belt bolt holes. Reason they want them filled (welded, or bolt put back in) is because they are used in the integrated chassis as part of a crunch zone. Leaving them open weakens the stress points in that part of the chassis. Thats what i was told when i put mine through.

Edited by SkyHi_33

The rally rego thing is pretty easy to do - but only if you are going to use it as a rally car. You can only use it on the road to get to/from or compete in an event, service work or a promotional event - so if you are caught in the city or down glenelg or some random back street they will come down on you hard - not just the cops but the CAMS guys that sign off on the paperwork for you as they don't want it screwed up for the guys that legitimatally need this kind of licence.

From memory you also have to compete in a number of events rally events per year to keep it all up to date.

Edited by samstain

Best to ring CAMS, but basically 3 events that would require you to have a car with full cage that on the road - so 3 motorkhana's/hill climbs/sprints at mallala etc ain't going to cut it as they will just tell you to trailer it there.

Assuming this is going to be a tarmac based car you might struggle to find 3 events in SA - There is the ASP tarmac rally... but other than that you are going to be hitting up some pretty rough dirt roads to get any more signed off :O

Edited by samstain

Thanks for the replies; yes I am just weighing my options up here.

Speaking to cage builders in SA it seems like some people just continue to drive their cars (not necessarily GTR's) on the road under normal rego and hope that they dont get pulled over or defected/fined.

i think its the Southern Districts Car Club that is your best bet to talk to

a mate of mine from army is a part of it (he gets involved in the Adelaide Hills Tarmac Rally), they do one day / weekend events 3 times a year i think he said

the 3 events and that all have to be specific to your licence (in this case the National Rally Licence)

Best bet, either ring CAMS or get in touch with a specific club

Im goin on what ive been told from a bloke who has been rallying (both dirt and tarmac) for about 10 years or more

• 1 year later...

Hi All, This is probably old news to those in the know......but I have done a little research for Victoria and roll cages and registration in Victoria and found the following useful link:

If I read it right, a VASS can sign off on the cage as conforming as long as you can check all the boxes listed. It seems seats and seat belts can be replaced with the racing items as long as they meet the checklist requirements such as the tubes they are secured to being strong enough to support the loads they may see in an accident...

First link - look at section 9.5, it has a paragraph referring to rollcages. It then refers you to the VASS checklist for modifications.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/9B3A858D-15A0-4572-90BF-3D08214BF7BE/0/VSInumber8Guidetomodificationsformotorvehicles.pdf

Page 51 refers to roll cages and is the VASS checklist.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP7_Section_LK_Seating_and_Occupant_Protection_1Jan2011_v2.pdf