SAU Community

V35 Sedan Making Whirling Noise

Hey guys,

just recently purchased a 2001 V35 250GT sedan with around 70k on it Automatic Trans.

The car recently started making a high pitched whirling noise and if Ipop the hood on start up it sounds like a giant fan!

If I rev the engine the fan noise and the high pitched whirling noise gets louder, it's quite loud I can just hear it from inside the car with all the windows up.

Help guys!

check belts ! as they might need changing or might be rubing on something. i had a stick that managed to get in and was making weird sounds when touching the belts

Edited by AlexanderWilde

check belts ! as they might need changing or might be rubing on something. i had a stick that managed to get in and was making weird sounds when touching the belts

Thanks man I checked them and it seems fine, if I pop the hood and just stand in front of the engine the fan wilkl literally start moving my hair, it's very noisy and very loud! Is that normal?

get a hose and spray the passenger belt and listen if the noise goes away.. If it goes away your passenger belt is slipping replace it or retention.

Im betting its the passenger side belt.

The factory belt size imo is to loose on the passenger side to get a decent tension on it.... some belt brands seem better than others aswell. Find the factory belt size and get the next size down. Should be a 4pk925 or something like that for the sedan.

+1 for belts, mine would make a squealy noise on and off during the winter for the first 10 minutes or so, not always on cold days either. Replaced all the belts and the problem immediately went away. It wasn't too big a cost, a good mechanic who knows V35's should be able to do it in an hour.