SAU Community

Changing head gasket - rb25det

sn00p

Im planning on changing head gasket this w/end as it is blown. Has anyone done this recently? Just trying to get a bit of info before I start it.

So far I have headgasket, timing belt and water pump.

Any other parts I have missed out on.

Any tips/tricks that anyone knows of, anything I should look out for?

Thanks.

Ben

You don't really need timing belt and water pump, unless they are due for replacement. They don't have to come off to get the head off.

You'll probably need manifold gaskets.

While the head is off, check the condition of the welsh plugs, and replace if necessary (Repco have them).

Lots of bandaids for skinned knuckles !!

do a search and u will find an old post i put up . make sure u get the timing right . the belt has matks on it line them up with the marks on the cam puliesand the crank and line all the pulies with their marks as well .

pull the head off and if you have any probs with timing pm me and i'll help you.

headbolts tension .tighten to 29 nm then to 98 nmthen loosen them , tighten to 25-34 nm then 93 - 103 nm .

make sure you line up all the timing marks with the marks on the belt ( use a new one ).make sure you insall the tensioner pulley washers and spring as they come off . when u insall the timing belt to adjust the tension rotate crank clockwise 2 turns with tensioner instalation bolt loose then use alen key and tighten the instalaton bolt 43-58 nm .dont overtighten case they are known to break .

you will need 27 mm socket and a gear puller to pull the crank pulley off . it will be very tight 150 nm undo it say 10 mm then put the gear puller and it will come then u undo the bolt .