SAU Community

Ecu/engine Management Query

fattox33

Hi all,

Just have a question regarding EMS, I recently got offered a Haltech E6x for $1100 cash, brand new from the US, long story short, mate got it but can't get it wired for his custom setup, so has offered me it. However, my mechanic (who owns an RB25/30 R33 pulling close to 800rwhp and who knows every inch of a skyline back to front) recommends using Link computers.

I'm just debating at the moment whether to go get the Haltech or save the extra $500 up and order the Link in.

I'm looking at features at the moment and Haltech doesn't seem to describe theirs very well, the benefit of the Link is that I can plug it in on standard looms and run it straight outta the box, take it to somewhere in Brisbane, get it tuned and have anti lag installed (switchable of course haha)

So ultimately, what do you guys all recommend? Haltech or Link? Or anything else Link-based?

Cheers

i use haltech platnum sport 2000.

awsome bit of gear. picked mine up for 1900 new but i think they retailed a bit over that. i have a trade account with hi octane racing so that was our price.

they do come with a patch harness as they dont fit vehicle specific looms but i do beleive haltechs new ecu range is plug and play for most skylines. (pin layout accepts facory loom, base maps still need to be loaded i think)

i think its a link that my mate run with a knck box and stuff. awsome set up aswell

E6-E11x ECU's are absolute crap. The amount of haltech's I've personally pulled out of cars is in the double digits! The old DOS haltechs were ok, the new ones I havn't tuned personally but have heard from tuners that know what engine managment is that they are ok - not great.

I have had good sucess with the new Links and Vipec ECU's.

Kiwi, I live in Bundaberg and I'd trust the local tuners about as far as I could throw them... there's one and every import he's tuned has over-fuelling problems.

tm_r33, it's only an E6x not a PS2000 or even 1000..

I'd take rob's opinion anyway, they seem a lot more user friendly than haltechs TBH, just trying to gauge people's opinion on them

I would have said Link but didn't want you to think I was just saying that because I have one. If your mechanic can install it, great. I have heard there are no good tuners up your way - you might have to take a trip to Sydney ( if conditions allow) to get it installed and/or tuned!

I would have said Link but didn't want you to think I was just saying that because I have one. If your mechanic can install it, great. I have heard there are no good tuners up your way - you might have to take a trip to Sydney ( if conditions allow) to get it installed and/or tuned!

There's several good tuners in Brisbane, I normally live in Toowoomba though so it's not a big deal for me, Ben Hunt at Rotary Motorsport is good but he mainly deals in MoTec and Haltech and Microtech, however I hear that Godzilla, Mercury and EFI are all good Link tuners :) and EFI deals in them too

Had an Apexi power FC but it got fried, Now i got a Vi-pec. Mark from Godzillar Motorsport tuned them both, an he recommened the vipec but he's the dealer so he probably wouldnt reccomend anything else. Nearly all tuners can tune Apexi's but not are all that familar with vipec. If the Car is tuned well dont think it Matters a great deal which ecu u opt for. The Vi-pec i got will plug straight in, but the one Mark has got in his drag car he had to wire. I personally had no issues with either ecu.

Does anyone Know much about the self tuning ecu's? i heard a little bout them a while back but havent heard anything since.

theyre only self tuning if you run a wideband 02 sensor connected to the tuning software, and then the tuner needs to know exactly what AFR they want at each load point etc etc.

it is good for intial setup but should be touched up on the dyno to suit each individual engine.