SAU Community

Eboost 2 Problems

Hey,

First of all let me say I am new to Turbo charged vehicles, so don't really know what I'm talking about 90% of the time, but I'm keen to learn more as I have recently purchased a Black R32 GTS-T and am loving it!

Onto the problem at hand, I have as mentioned, an R32 with the RB20DET in it. As far as I know (3rd owner since import) running the stock turbo/wastegate, no BOV and an e-boost 2 boost controller.

Basically, I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong, or if there is something faulty with my e-boost 2 / solenoid, but I have found as I increase either the SP (Set Point) or GP (Gate Pressure) results in a drop in Max boost.

I have tried the following configurations:

(Sensitivity was left on factory default 20, only SP and GP values were changed)

BG1: SP 0, GP 0 - Makes 12.1 PSI boost,

BG2: SP 20, GP 3 - Basically what the setup instructions say to start out with, makes around 11 PSI,

Have slowly (5 SP at a time) worked my way upto the following, which shows almost no difference in boost:

BG3: SP 50, GP 9 (3 below my target, 12 PSI), makes approximately 10PSI.

I have the OBS (Over Boost Shutdown) set to 14.2 PSI, I read somewhere 2.2PSI above the desired boost was a good place to set it.

I have heard the factory wastegate is good for about 12PSI, which seems to line up with my BG1 result, I have had a look at the solenoid setup, it appears to be connected as per the setup instructions (but then I have no real clue, just going off generic diagrams), will try and take some pics of how it's connected in a min, altho with only an iPhone 3G camera, that may prove futile.

If anyone has any thoughts on what I can check, or worst case, where I could take it to, it would be much appreciated.

Edit: I should add that I have no idea who installed the e-boost 2, was in the car when I bought it a couple months ago.

Edit2:

Here is a pic of the solenoid, courtesy of my awesome MS Paint skillz, I have drawn a circle around each of the ports, with the colors matching the other shots:

post-75987-0-11783800-1301376048_thumb.jpg

Here is the other end of port 1, this is on the same hose as the vacuum line for the e-boost 2:

post-75987-0-66401000-1301376142_thumb.jpg

more 'overall' shot of where this is, if it helps:

post-75987-0-57510500-1301376223_thumb.jpg

Here is the other end of port 2:

post-75987-0-32918900-1301376283_thumb.jpg

And finally, the other end of port 3:

post-75987-0-71947700-1301376328_thumb.jpg

The instructions say that polarity is not important on the 2 wires running from the e-boost 2 to the solenoid, so I'm assuming from that, there is no way they could be reversed and causing my issue..

Edited by Argumentative

The way thats hooked up you've got 2 pressure sources so the solenoid cant bleed.

Disconnect the red hose from the plenum and run port 1 to where the yellow line runs to the compressor cover. Forget about hooking port 3 to anything at this stage and see if it works.

Mac valves should only have all 3 ports in use if using a external gate, since you're using internal gate 1 of the ports need to be exposed to the atmosphere in order to bleed air to up the boost from stock

Soo,

I did as suggested, port 3 now has the length of hose that WAS connected to the plenum (Red in the above images), the other end of the hose is not connected to anything.

Port 1 (yellow above) is now connected to the compressor cover. Port 2 (blue) I ddin't touch.

Results:

(again, only SP/GP were touched, Sensitivity, OBS (14.2PSI) etc left alone)

SP 20, GP 10 = 28.? PSI (tried this one first, as it was the 'default' as suggested by the instructions, OBS kicked in thankfully and probably saved my RB20...)

SP 00, GP 0.0 = 23.8 PSI (Once again, TY OBS!)

So, basically, now I'm over-boosting like crazy, car does feel more responsive... But damn, that can't be good for it..

Will start researching Over-Boosting, but as always if anyone can link a thread or offer some more suggestions, it would be much appreciated! :)

THANKS Moodles2!!!

Your advice was spot on.

running:

SP 20, GP 10 gives 12PSI max, probably have a little room to bump the SP up, but I can screw with that later. And with GP set there's a noticeable reduction in spool time! :)

SP 30, GP 11 gives 13PSI, finally going in the right direction!

Not really game to take it any further, will need to start looking into what other mods I should invest in, but I know there are already 101 good posts on this, so time to go back to reading up!

Thanks again to both shane_180sx and Moodles2, much appreciated. :)