SAU Community

Smh First Drive Of '11 Gtr

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/new-nissan-gtr-first-drive-20110329-1cdys.html

and if ur too lazy to click the link

It's 22 years since the Nissan Skyline GT-R rose prominently on the horizon.

Today's GT-R has abandoned the "Skyline" part of the badge but not the ethos: supercar performance for a fraction of the cost.

The latest update for the R35 generation, the second in consecutive years, slightly dents the value equation of the model that first went on sale here in 2009, priced from $148,800.

Advertisement: Story continues below Nissan has dropped the cheaper model from the range, and now only offers a single version based on the old Premium model with a price tag that is exactly $20,000 more.

The Nissan, however, still costs less than half the price of a Porsche 911 Turbo - and, thanks to significant 'MY11' tweaks, can now match it for acceleration. And potentially beat it.

Nissan says the GT-R is now capable of sprinting from a stationary position to 100km/h in three seconds. We didn't have our timing equipment with us, but the claim seems accurate, judging by the mighty eye-bulging, neck-straining-forces experienced during runs at Phillip Island racetrack using the Japanese supercar's launch control system.

There's no place better, either, for exploring the GT-R's more powerful engine.

Increased turbo boost pressure, adjusted valve timing and a revised exhaust system all contribute to a 33kW lift in power to 390kW for the 3.8-litre twin-turbo V6. Torque rises by 24Nm to 612Nm, available again from 3200rpm but now with that peak pulling power continuing for another 800rpm to the tacho's 6000rpm mark.

Consequently, it's no longer so pointless revving gears to the tachometer's redline for performance, though this remains an engine that will give you the biggest punch if you change up slightly earlier to reap the rewards of its manic mid-range.

Even the GT-R's gearbox software acknowledges this. Leave the six-speed dual-clutch auto to do its thing (which it does superbly) rather than control it yourself via the magnesium paddleshift levers (still annoyingly fixed to column rather than moving with the steering wheel) and it never hangs on to gears too long.

The track also reveals the GT-R's newly developed tyres, designed to be even stickier for both dry and wet surfaces, actually do have limits, whereas on the road the grip levels feel like they're infinite.

This is an extraordinarily rapid car that belies its not inconsiderable weight (about 1.7 tonnes - Nissan doesn't publish the figure). And one with a clever all-wheel-drive system that you can sense working through corners as it shuffles torque backwards and forwards between the front and rear wheels searching for optimum traction.

The fact you don't always need to finesse the throttle, and can rely on the system to straighten the car out of corners as you push the right pedal into the carpet, is indicative of an engineering approach that continues to be endearingly savage rather than suave.

Brutal performance, apt for a car Australia nicknamed "Godzilla", is accessed via controls that feel just right - perfectly weighted pedals and steering - but this isn't a fuel-efficient sports car despite a minor improvement over the outgoing model. We averaged 20L/100km in the city, barely improving to about 18L/100km elsewhere.

Neither is the GT-R a quiet car.

Tyre noise is still deafening on coarse-chip roads, and the rear-mounted gearbox continues to clunk up and down gears during low-speed driving.

Suspension revisions have introduced some semblance of suppleness to the ride, but even on freeways the GT-R is not a relaxing cruiser. Sharp bumps jolt the cabin and rough roads jiggle the car.

Nissan has considered daily useability in other areas, too - by turning the GT-R into a two-wheel-drive car for fiddly manoeuvres such as parking. At speeds below 10km/h and with the steering wheel turned 180 degrees or more, the GT-R cuts the drive to the front wheels.

As far as we can see, though, "Godzilla" is a car that still prefers to be unleashed on the open road.

Nissan GT-R MY11

Price: $168,800

Engine: 3.8-litre twin-turbo 6-cyl

Power: 390kW at 6400rpm

Torque: 612Nm at 3200-6000rpm

Transmission: 6-sp dual-clutch auto, AWD

Fuel consumption and emissions: 12.0L/100km and 279g/km

0-100km/h: 3.0 seconds (claimed)

comments

OK but where other than on a racetrack is it useful to be able to do 0-100kph in 3 seconds or have the ability to beat a Porsche 911? As for the fuel economy figures; well 20l/100km is just ridiculous. Petrol is a finite resource people.

Peter | Brisbane - March 29, 2011, 11:57AM

About time...Now wait 10 years teenagers and uni grads. In 10 yeas time, we'll all hire Ferrari's, Porsches, BMW, Aston Martin and Lambagine, (to hell with the spelling), and shoot each of their supercar status perch, one at a time at the nearest legal drag racing center. Hurrah for YouTube...we'll make some money discrediting these so called Supercars on this site while we're at it.

Akuma
| wests - March 29, 2011, 12:11PM

@Peter "Petrol is a finite resource people."

It is, and that's why we should enjoy it while we have it.

Pete
| Sydney - March 29, 2011, 12:13PM

Awesome! Anyone got $168,800 I can borrow?

pix
- March 29, 2011, 12:33PM

Why would anyone waste 170k on one of these imported eyesores! An SS Commodore/XR8 Falcon looks and sounds infinitely better, costs 1/3 the price and performs slightly less... Not to mention you are supporting an Australian industry and jobs, something that seems to be valued less and less as evident by the unjustified and anti Australian remarks some un-patriotic imbeciles seem so eager display on these forums. Embrace the country or leave it!

Real Aussie
| Australia - March 29, 2011, 12:11PM

if you RTFA the price is due to only the premium model being available now and first drive is just me quoting their headline.

its just a software update essentially but still, thought it was vaguely SAU worthy.

:laugh:

Good old Drive Blog.

I use to post a bit on their blogs.

Get all sorts of ppl, but most of the time, it's your every day, Joe Blow, giving his opinion... + A few girls on there too.

Hardly an enthusiast site.

And most of the time it ends up Holden VS Ford VS Nissan.

Shit hits the roof and it becomes an all out bitch fight... Like comments listed above.

yeah expected a few boofheads but i like the petrol comment getting a swift comeback

enjoy it while it lasts!

my sentiments exactly, thought whats going to happen to all the classics still around in fifty years when everyone else has switched to hydrogen etc, will it be like the 60's corvettes you see today with upgraded engines/brakes/electrics or will a few diehards keep running the original specs eg a 99 GTR with an RB26.

With petrol by then probably ten bucks a litre it will have to be the linfox types of 2060 .. sad but inevitable.

local products?

a mexican built engine under the hood, assembled in SA, shipped half way across the world and lands cheaper than what our local industry charges us for a detuned product

yep ill support that..... fk off

Mizuno talks about the update here. Aside from upping boost, freer flowing intake/exhast and sw update, launch control is now back and apparently won't void the warranty. Just requires a cool-off period between launch sessions

Gotta love his whiteboard drawings...

I found the article funnier than the comments. Nissan don't "publish" the weight???? Ummm I think someone should tell this journalist that Misuno's presentation was not the only data released by Nissan for a car. And spinning flappy paddles? Purely a matter of taste but I like to know where to find them when I'm madly twirling a steering wheel...

"Why would anyone waste 170k on one of these imported eyesores! An SS Commodore/XR8 Falcon looks and sounds infinitely better, costs 1/3 the price and performs slightly less... Not to mention you are supporting an Australian industry and jobs, something that seems to be valued less and less as evident by the unjustified and anti Australian remarks some un-patriotic imbeciles seem so eager display on these forums. Embrace the country or leave it!"

Cool_Story_Bro_in_Spanish_by_NonoKraken_Identity_theft_like_a_BOSS-s576x548-148885-535.jpg

Well so much for the increase in the AUD against the YEN covering the price rise! Nissan Australia disgustingly gauging buyers in Australia again! Price in the US on current exchange rates for a 2011 model, AUD $ 87,000. Here $ 204,000. What a f…king joke. Anyway I’ll pick one up in a year or so for $50K cheaper with 5000klms on it.

Well so much for the increase in the AUD against the YEN covering the price rise! Nissan Australia disgustingly gauging buyers in Australia again! Price in the US on current exchange rates for a 2011 model, AUD $ 87,000. Here $ 204,000. What a f…king joke. Anyway I'll pick one up in a year or so for $50K cheaper with 50,000klms on it.

corrected

http://www.carsales....words=&__N=1216

Yes, good point about the dealer inflation, I hope you're right. How unusual for a car dealer to try and make a quick buck on the back of other people's misery, I mean they're people of such high moral fibre!

Misanthorpe

Corrected. With 50,000klms I might pay 80K but even that's probably a bit steep. You might want to check out carsales.com. There have been R35's on there for 18 months and still haven't sold. A mate of mine just picked up a lovely 09 model in red with 6,500klms for 125K. I personally think he could have done better.

Edited by GT-R OZ

Misanthorpe

Corrected. With 50,000klms I might pay 80K but even that's probably a bit steep. You might want to check out carsales.com. There have been R35's on there for 18 months and still haven't sold. A mate of mine just picked up a lovely 09 model in red with 6,500klms for 125K. I personally think he could have done better.

Wrong Wrong Wrong. Point out 1 R35 that has been on carsales for 18 months. I follow carsales like a hawk, not a single one has been on for 18 months, there is one that has been on for a while and that is the only ONE and it hasnt been 18 months. $80K being steep for a 50,000k GTR, who are you kidding. How many times over do you think you could sell an R35 on carsales with 50,000k's for $80,000 in one day. I guarantee if you can find one at that price I will buy it today. The last cheap one sold for $105,000 and had done 46,000ks and that was a firesale and it lasted under a week before it was sold. You are dreaming buddy. Like I said if you can find one for even $100K I want to know as I want it.

Sorry buddy but that got me unhappy as I am looking for another car now but dont want to spend over $110K and there are plenty of 40K plus 2009 R35 GTR's out there and I can't find any in that price range. (Not including 2008 imports)