SAU Community

Commodore VL vs Aussie R31 Skyline

how many vls are in good nick compared to skylines. Also heard about vl heads - something to do with a radiator for a ancient holden motor being used for a 'modern' engine

Depends how many people look after them;) I look after mine and I could say the same about others.

Anyway, about the 'ancient holden radiator' .. nah, was just because the front of the vl was lower then the head of the engine.. so when the radiator sat it was lower then the head.. When it was filled there was always an air bubble unless you raised the front a touch to elimate all air bubbles. That on its own would stop most of the head cracking.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi, go the skyline of course.

i have a 89 ti Up against vs s commodores its won with only mods being extractors and straight thru 2.5 inch exhaust.

If you're beating a vs ss with a mostly stock 31, then the vs wasnt trying, or it has some serious issues. :D

VL radiator is not an'ancient holden radiator'.It was state of the art and just doesnt work.]

the vn was to be fitted with a VG30E and they fixed the cooling system for it.that why it dont work on a buick. R31 has and accient radiator[that works] and mine is fitted with a copper cored one.

when the vn was released the gm warranty reps were very happy.after the new car warranty had run out on VL the VN were blocking driveways of the workshop and the towtrucks had there own unloading bay.but to talk to a rep after a few beers they tell you about the whinning VL owners that coplained about the performance lack of tourque and driveability and crook gear change.4.11/3.89 gear set fixes that.but holden owners didnt like there engines to rev.the number of excited owners tat showed off the 50 cent peice trick standing on the rocker cover but told you how much of a dog it was around a shopping center.

If you're beating a vs ss with a mostly stock 31, then the vs wasnt trying, or it has some serious issues.  :rofl:

ummm he said vs s... meaning s pack commodore..... ive been in a 31 that ate the vy s pack...... but ss no way.... but ss was never said.. just though id point that out... :D

Timmays R31 5 speed ran a low 15 from memory.

The V8 Auto Commodores run in the mid 15's... :)

Also those SS commodores are nuthing.. I used to own a VS V8 5 speed exhaust etc.. They are crap. The LS1 5.7ltr's are a different kettle of fish though.

Go the 31, my dad brought my one brand new in 1990, and we aint had one prob with it. The build quality of the 31 compared the VL is miles better, and the 31 still today is really nice to drive.. Im yet to find another car with as good off the mark torque, and instant response. I wana put some extractors, exhaust and get rid of the cat as it must be clogged as hell cos its getting a bit slow at top end...

A 31 in good cond (esp a Ti or a Sillouhette) still look modern today, and the interior is so much better than a VL its not funny... Even with my 32, i still look forward to getting back into my 31.. Best tow car ever made!

it would be nice if they reved abit better.. it revs pretty slow. but i think the sohc head is strangling it some-what.

but they are good for towing. Their power and torque figures are more that the GQ patrol with the carbie rb30

it would be nice if they reved abit better.. it revs pretty slow. but i think the sohc head is strangling it some-what.

That's nothing that an RB25 head won't fix :wassup:

• 4 years later...
the VL still came out with a pushrod V8 dont forget

The VL V8 was the only 5 litre V8 released by Holden that was unleaded AND fuel injected, all the previous 5 litre 8's where carby drawn. This is how they got their V8's through emissions, because of the fuel injection.

Now, I have owned both VL and R31 (Bought an R31 fill-in car today actually), and I would go the R31 over and above the VL Commodore.

The brakes, the handling, the interior, and the better reliability under the hood all win when you compare the 2, and they are all in the R31.

The VL was a great car, and I am not dissing it, but the R31 was so much more, and is still not appreciated for it.

Look in the Trading post, or on ebay, and check the priced for both.

VL Commodores are going for $4,500 ish

R31 Skylines unmolested are going for up to about $2,000.

The R31 is still a better car, but the Holden vs Ford and Aussie Pride mentality says the Holden has to be the better car, this is also usually from greek kids, or P-platers who dont realy know the background of the cars, and just go on hear-say from friends.

B.