SAU Community

digital dash device for stock ecus

Impakt

Hello everyone,

I have recently built a device for the stock nissan ecu. Attached is a (crappy) picture taken with my phone.

It plugs into the Consult diagnostic port and displays 8 sensors in realtime. This means that CA18 vehicles will not work with this as they dont have a consult port.

The sensors/data it can display are:

rpm

speed

afm voltage

injector pulse width

injector duty cycle

coolant temp

ignition timing

tps voltage

absolute tps position (%age)

EGT voltage (if supported by ecu)

o2 sensor voltage

AAC position (%age)

battery voltage

Lean/Rich Indicator

Flags (On/off indicators for: Closed TPS, A/C Relay, A/C Compressor, Fuel pump, start switch, VTC solenoid, thermo fans, and a few others.

The device also has a serial port so you can connect your laptop to it and potentially log the data. You can also read the stock maps from the ecu with a laptop. And no, you cant tune the ecu with this! It also has a peak-hold function, so it will remember the max rpm, duty cycle, pulse width, afm voltage, water temp etc, and store it in memory for recall later...

I will soon make orders for more parts, but wanted to gauge interest (if any) so i can work out how many of each part i should order. Of course, the more parts i buy, the cheaper it gets.

Currently the device looks to cost around the $300 mark, that includes the proper consult connector, and laser cut front panel.

Anyone interested?

Impakt

Sounds like a good idea - would they be cheaper to make if you can just get it to output to a serial/usb connection so we can use directly with laptops? may make it cheaper thats all

which model skyline ECU's does it work with?

I'm certainly not trying to rain on your parade because I reckon this thing looks tops... just like a Motec type dash.

Blitz now have a item like the Apex'i RSM which plugs straight into the ecu plug and does a similar thing.

I would if PowerFC users can use this? No?

T.

Sorry power fcs wont work with this. It works with the standard nissan diagnostic port, which i bet isnt supported with the power fc.

The thing will cost less without the LCD and that but i built this because i for one cant afford to have a laptop in the car all the time.

It does have an rs232 port so you can easily plug one in and start logging, sucking out stock rom maps etc.

Impakt

Guest INASNT
I would if PowerFC users can use this? No?

Thats what the PFC hand controller is there for, it monitiors all of those sensors plus more

It sounds good..

But a lot of that information like people are saying is readily available in aftermarket ECU. Even the S-AFC will display REVS, AFM voltage, o^2, and TPS -- and readily had for $400 now plus of course the adjustment factor. Its not everything your device looks like being able to display though. Will be useful for tuners I'd imagine.

Sorry power fcs wont work with this. It works with the standard nissan diagnostic port, which i bet isnt supported with the power fc.

The pFC is a full replacement, so yes, it does monitor all that (and probably more). Well it has to, to drive the car! In fact it does away with the total diagnostic port altgoether which is just for the stock ECU.

don't want to kick anyone in the balls here, but i think this is a great idea for stock ecus,

and although SAFC is ok you can't really connect it up and data log. so although its only $400 it doesn't do a great deal (almost a bandaid solution). so i think what impakt has developed is fantastic cos i know my microtech although its only $1200, by the time it got fireware upgraded (to support engine) + dash, + Software, + cable and dongle it was well over $2K. not tuned.

just a question, do these work with say and SR20?? i know tonnes of tuners out there that would kill for something like this in their cars (know a guy who writes maps and makes daughter boards for SRs).

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Sorry, AFAIK the ECU doesnt support knock display through Consult, so my device wont be able to display it.

There is a lead time of around 19 weeks on the connector so I would like to see if there is anyone out there interested (pref. in Sydney) in a version without the connector to start. People who buy without the connector can have the device for $250 and I will supply the connector later on, if production goes ahead.

Also, I would like these people who get the device without the connector to help test and give feedback on the software. So far I have had it running since Christmas and I believe I have ironed out most bugs. Sydney people are preferred so I can update the software if I need to.

The device should work on any car with a consult connector, so far I have had it going fine on an S13, and on my U13 bluebird attesa. Other cars are most welcome to be tested!

Anyone interested? A link to a picture of my prototype is at http://sr20.net/gallery/albums/Misc/abp.jpg top pic shows the peak hold values, bottom show current values. If you look closely at the afm voltage (af1) you can see the voltage was just about to change – look at the last digit.

If you would like more information or would like to help me test the device please email me at [email protected]

Impakt

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

The device is ready to go! I have organised all the parts to make 10. I also have the proper Nissan Consult connectors.

Final price is $300, and if you are in Sydney i would like to test it on your car first to make sure the device can read out as much as your ecu can support.

I have tested it on a pulsar gti-r, bluebird attesa, and r33 skyline gts4. More details in the for sale section.

Impakt

hmm i suggest u post this on sr20transplants yahoo group, the 910bluebird forum and nissansilvia.com

should get a decent response. hell id buy one, but i got a microtech with dash and logger software!