SAU Community

Rim size - 17" * 8", or 17" * 9" ?

slayer

I am looking at rims and tyres for my R33, but the guys at Bob Jame tyres suggest that the tyre setup I want (which they recommend as well) of 235/45/17 on the front and 255/40/17 on the back requires 9 inch rims on the rears... this cuts down the rim choices HEAPS.

They say the 255 will fit on an 8 inch rim, but is 'pinched' and does not sit well so reduces my traction.

The problem is 17 * 8 rims are everywhere and cheap (relatively), 17 * 9 are impossible to get and choice is limited... the only rim I can find is the Enkei RP01 which is fairly basic (I want deepdish dammit!!! :rolleyes: )

Any suggestions or comments? What have you guys gone for with rims?

Well, if you want 9" wide on the back you're going to have to spend alot of money dude, from what i've seen only expensive jap wheels are wider than 8" (well, stylish wheels anyway).

Perhaps look at some Advans, Rays Engineering wheels, or some Volks. All very very pricey wheels though. I think you should just go 8" wide rims, it's easier and cheaper.

Na , go the Jap drift look:cool:

I've got 235 's stretched onto the 10'' rears of my 300 zx TTDD ( thats Twin Turbo Drift Dog :( ) Cuts out any sidewall flex but no rim protection from kerbs.

Ken

Thanks for the info guys, I ended finding some cheap 9 inchers, so I have got my 17 * 8s on rht front and 17 * 9s on the rear, and a set of 235/45 and 255/40 P Zero Neros on order :(

I chose the Neros as apparently they give good ride quality and nose levels but still grip like crazy.. the rosso is even more refined, but it just looks boring in my opinion :)

HI Steve, i got the rims through Bob Jane Morley in Perth (Brett).

They are a Giemax import, and they have a few speccy looking rims that are in 17 * 9.

I would put a picture up, but I dont have any... only seen them in the showroom and ordered them (they were decent looking at cheap, and 9 inches wide so it was an easy choice :D )

I will have them end October (they have to ship them from Japan on the next container from Giemax) if you are still looking and would like to see them on the car.

Conrad