SAU Community

Not So Good Vibrations

alu-siv_stagea

G'day All

Today i took my car for a drive to get some lunch and when i pulled up at the traffic lights i noticed that the car had started to vibrate pretty seriously, the funny thing is it's only when the car is stationary and in drive gear, all other gears are sweet and the car drives well, changes gear well and comes on boost like it should, i checked all the oils when i got home, engine and gearbox where both at a good level.

Its got me stuffed, if anyone else experienced this please let me know what the problem was, i am taking it to my mates workshop on Saturday to put it up on the hoist and have a better look around but i want to know what to look at first, i don't know if it matters but the car is now a weekend driver since i brought a new car for my business daily driving duties before that the stag was being driven seven days a week.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Eddie.

Make shure your tyres are the same rolling diameter front to rear... my s2 was veeery sensitive to rolling diameter difference. Also check out your center bearing as they slog out over time.

Cheers

J.

yes vibrating is only when the car is in drive and stationary if you put the car into neutral the vibration stops...the vibration is enough to shake the mirrors when it's happening, i am going to check the gearbox and engine mounts too when its up on the hoist but it has to wait until tuesday next week, i have just got booked out with work for my entire weekend..... :(:)

Adam you where right, it was a vacuum leak on the intake, we checked all the mounts, plugged in the diagnostic computer and then done a smoke test to reveal the cracked vacume line. should all be good to go by the weekend as part is a couple of days away

Cheers everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

back to the top guys, the problem remains after replacing the vacuum hose and has gotten a bit more bizarre, the vibration is now in reverse gear as much as it is in drive and i also have the vibration at low rpm when locking my steering wheel in either direction, i am now thinking it is either the transmission, drive shafts or something to do with my idle speed perhaps ? where all scratching our heads now, please have another think of what the hell this could be before this car makes me rip my hair out.

Cheers