SAU Community

Buying A 89 Gtr

CrimsonLey

Hello,

I'm moving to JP early next year and I decided to immediately look for a 1989 GTR to purchase. I don't imagine that I'll find one in prime condition so I'm curious to see what I should look out for (i.e. rust, damage bearings, etc). I intended to track this car - road racing, and other grip racing.

Edited by Bigalow

Check ks on instrument cluster then look at the condition off the interior if it says 100k but the interior is ripped and faded and looks like it done 300k well I would assume something Suss is happening check under car for dints in the floor and chassis etc inspect the paint thourghly makes sure it's all matching colors to make sure it hasn't been resprayed in certain spots to hide a crash ....

If u wanna be real anal take a fridge magnet or something and try sticking it to the doors and rear quarter panels and roof etc if it doesn't stick well then it's probably full of bog don't bother checking the bonnet or front guards or boot because I'm preety sure there all alloy and not magnetic anyways well I'm 100% that the bonnet is anyways also do a revs check and make sure there us no money owing or it has not been reported stolen or in accidents

Hope that helps

BOOZTJUNKEY

Most important I would look out for is a stock oil pump still fitted (short oil drive on the crank), unless you have plans to take the engine apart to install new oil pump, crank collars, sump mods etc.

Rust, compression, see how it runs, the usual things you look for in a car.

Right. This isn't my first R32 but I didn't have a GTR so I'm curious to see if common problems have been identified. I will probably take the vehicle to Nissan to have them do a multi-point inspection.

Check ks on instrument cluster then look at the condition off the interior if it says 100k but the interior is ripped and faded and looks like it done 300k well I would assume something Suss is happening check under car for dints in the floor and chassis etc inspect the paint thourghly makes sure it's all matching colors to make sure it hasn't been resprayed in certain spots to hide a crash ....

If u wanna be real anal take a fridge magnet or something and try sticking it to the doors and rear quarter panels and roof etc if it doesn't stick well then it's probably full of bog don't bother checking the bonnet or front guards or boot because I'm preety sure there all alloy and not magnetic anyways well I'm 100% that the bonnet is anyways also do a revs check and make sure there us no money owing or it has not been reported stolen or in accidents

Hope that helps

BOOZTJUNKEY

Good advice. I can't exactly pull up a "Car Fax" report so I hope it's not stolen or been accidents. What is "bog"?

Most important I would look out for is a stock oil pump still fitted (short oil drive on the crank), unless you have plans to take the engine apart to install new oil pump, crank collars, sump mods etc.

This will be my future gripe car (road race, etc) so a lot will be removed/replaced. The suspension will be changed, suspension parts, solid bushings, etc. Engine work will be completed when I return the car to the states... unless it's cheaper in JP.

Thanks for the heads up on the oil pump. That's exactly the type information I need.

Any other comments?

Ive never owned a GTR but i was considering a cheap one a while back, a few reviews i read highlighted the 4wd system, apparently is very expensive to rebuild, i think its the torque splitter or somthing... cost big $$ to repair

some other problems could worn out synchro's and blown turbo's,

also check if its been in a crash and not repaired properly, and what if its been in a flood?? not sure how to check that one..

my 2c

Edited by SliverS2

Why do you specifically want an 89? Late 93-94 would be the pick of the bunch with the long nose crank. Also if your turning it into a track car, save yourself time and money and buy something thats pretty much done. Then all you need to do is tidy up the edges.

GT-R ownership is a dark and miserable place. You're always broke, there is always something that you could fix and every new sound the car makes is a worry. But when it performs it makes up for all the bad things.

Ive never owned a GTR but i was considering a cheap one a while back, a few reviews i read highlighted the 4wd system, apparently is very expensive to rebuild, i think its the torque splitter or somthing... cost big $ to repair

some other problems could worn out synchro's and blown turbo's,

also check if its been in a crash and not repaired properly, and what if its been in a flood?? not sure how to check that one..

my 2c

Thats what scares the shit outa me, brother. Nissan isn't own for having great first year cars. Due to this reason, I'm really particular about the conidition the driventrain system is in. I imagine I'll have to dump $5-6k on replacement pairs. My whole budget for this project car is $35k and I plan and doing a lot to make it track worthy.

Why do you specifically want an 89? Late 93-94 would be the pick of the bunch with the long nose crank. Also if your turning it into a track car, save yourself time and money and buy something thats pretty much done. Then all you need to do is tidy up the edges.

Good advice. Buying is always cheaper than building but, you can agree, it's always better to build than to buy. This allows the driver to know certain aspects of his/her vehicle.

I need a '89 because the US gov is strict on any grey market car younger than 25 years. I'll move back to the states around mid, late 2014 or 2015. That way US Customs can STFU