SAU Community

Diy: How To Reseal The Fuel Inlet If Its Not Sealed Or Leaking

SargeRX8

Well as some of you may know, my car hasn't been making the psssh sound when I go to fill up. Everytime I started up the car, I got the fuel smell in the cabin. DVS JEZ suggested its the fuel filler, the little gold thing the fuel cap screws into. Well today, I started up my car and saw the fumes of the fuel escaping from the fuel tank. This is not only a problem, but also a very dangerous one at that. Had a smoker been walking past, those fumes are sure to take a flame.

I don't have photos now but it is a very straight forward thing to do. I can get some pics etc.

What you need:

Gasket goo stuff(as long as its fuel resistant, it should be fine).

Wire brush

Flat head screwdriver

1) Pop off the fuel filler cover and remove the fuel cap

2) The metal fuel filler mechanism is simply, its just a cap holder with a metal flap. I didn't need anything special to remove mine, I simply grabbed the edges, jiggled it and it came right out. If yours does the same then this is a clear indication the damn thing is not sealed!

3) Use the screw driver and wire brush to clean off the dirt and crap under the lip of the fuel filling thing you just removed. The wire brush removes light stuff while the screw driver is good to get into the little nooks and dig that shit out of there.

4) Once that is clean, try to clean the lip that is still on the car, the black hose leading to your fuel tank. I was abit worried about doing this and dropping shit down into the tank so I just made sure to clean the outer edges.

5) Depending on the gasket stuff you've got, apply a nice amount in the lip on the metal piece you removed, on the inside(you will see what I mean, its like a U on the inside which I filled with gasket stuff). Then if necessary apply some to the black tube under the filler cover.

6) Let it set until its tacky

7) Push it back in. If I recall, the spring valve mechanism sits in with the spring on the top. Just remember the orientation when you removed it.

8) Let it dry a little then screw the cap back in and let it set.

9) All done!

Let it dry and away you go! Pictures can be posted up if needed!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

yeah who ever is doing this.... dont use gasket goo.... i used the stuff that said hard setting, but after a week it is still not set. It must need heat or something and you cant just whip out the blow torch on the fuel port. Going to have to clean it all up again and use sikaflex or something.

• 1 year later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• I'll bite. I no longer own any euro's, but I thought I'd share two of my favorites I owned. My 500hp B5 S4 and my 800HP E55 AMG. Yes I did attempt to drive the E55 in Canadian winters, that lasted all of a month as it was a death trap.   
    • To be fair this is the wife’s car. However, I have been accused of owning more cars than I have pairs of undies. Luckily I change my undies more frequently than the cars.
    • Cheers Lads Looking at changing up a few things maybe go 2.8lt, bigger injectors with more a modern Turbo. Possibly transbrake and convert to E85 with Haltech ECU. Any thoughts on those Mods changes or better ideas? Want to try keep the car Street/Strip While also being weekend drivable still.  
    • The time has come, once again, for us to celebrate all things GTR! Motive DVD's GT-R FESTIVAL for 2024 is fast approaching, and we couldn't be more excited to be part of this awesome event once again! As usual, SAU NSW will be be part of the event, with our traditional club display on the day! If you would like to be part of it, firstly, you'll need to make sure you secure your Display Entry into the show via the below link by Motive Video: https://gtrfestival.com.au/ Other tickets are also available, ie. VIP Entry or Drag Entry, for you to also choose from. Once you have your ticket locked in, make sure to send us a PM via Facebook so we can add you to our list of display cars! When you message us, we will gather some more details from you to make sure we can spot you on the day, and guide you to the right place! If you'd like more information regarding the day, please refer to Motive Video's event page, or, you can get in touch with us and we will help you as best as we can. As always, general details are below: Date: Friday 24th May / Saturday 25th May Location: Sydney Dragway Time: 6.00pm Friday / 9.00am Saturday We look forward to seeing you all on the day! One of the things that really sets our club apart is our commitment to being true enthusiasts. When on normal roads we strive to maintain good relations with the authorities as well as the public in general. When attending one of Skylines Australia NSW events please try to: • Be aware of surrounding environment and act accordingly. • Drive courteously on the state’s roads as a true enthusiast should. • Understand how important it is to maintain the good name of SAUNSW and thus, treat others accordingly. • Any misbehaviour will not be tolerated and you will be asked to leave. Thanks guys and hope to see you there!